Hardcore gamers are “truly insatiable,” says Reggie

Tuesday, 7th October 2008 07:26 GMT By Patrick Garratt

marioart2.jpg

NoA boss Reggie Fils-Aime has expressed surprise at the fact game fans want to play games all the time. Came as a shock to us too, that.

“The gaming enthusiast that buys a tremendous amount of games is truly insatiable,” he said, speaking in a VentureBeat interview.

“As an example, in March, we launched Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In April, we launched Mario Kart. In later April, we launched Wii Fit.

“Then, in July, at E3, they say, ‘where are the games?’ They say they want the next Mario game. Super Mario Galaxy isn’t even a year old yet.”

The phrase “open goal” springs to mind. Read the full thing through the link.

1. JesteR

Maybe Nintendo should look at the other platform and see how many cool games are coming out this holiday season. And then look at Nintendo. Wii Music….. thats it….. Nintendo sucks. Don`t get me wrong. I love Nintendo but they are just too slow.

2. patlike

His statement there’s a bit daft. There simply isn’t enough content to keep the “core” happy, by any stretch of the imagination. No third-party games, no happy hardcore.

3. Esha

He’s right though, we are insatiable but that’s the monster that the industry has created by releasing too many games in the past.

The best way to deal with this these days in my opinion is to release smaller games for a lesser price. Not necessarily episodic, just scale things back a bit so that more varied content can be cranked out.

I think that the Insomniac devs caught onto this too, as Quest for Booty is an almost perfect example of what I’m talking about. The amount of content and the price were both perfect, and the same is true for WipeOut HD.

I think the problem with Ninty is that they’re old fashioned, they’re still trying to design humongous games for the old ideal of the hardcore gamer, and in today’s market those don’t do so well because they’re completed just as quickly (almost, due to the fact that when games are bigger people usually put in more hours to see them finished and done, whereas smaller experiences are generally more savoured I think) but they take up so much more development time.

4. morriss

Football analogies, Pat? You’re slowly coming round! ;)

Anyway, I wish I was hardcore.

5. Shatner

The man’s a pro. Look at him go!

He’s pitching it like he’s on the defensive and pleading to the consumer. In reality he’s just pimped 4 first party games and reminded anyone who hasn’t bought them that they should do so.

If anyone’s been paying attention, ever since the close of the SNES era, Nintendo’s been moving further and further away from their core audience – relying on their franchises and IP and rolling out a new IP once in a blue moon. Fair play to them,

But I don’t need some Marketing Man telling me that he’s trying to appeal to me whilst he’s eyeing up a load of soccermoms.

DO I LOOK LIKE A SOCCERMOM TO YOU REGGIE? DO I? DO I?????

6. morriss

Joe six-packs and soccer moms: don’t you just want to break stuff.

/plays more FPSs

7. Esha

Bah, someone beat me to highlighting the irony! But did it better than I could’ve anyway, I doff my hat to you morriss.

As far as Nintendo is concerned… I don’t know, really. In many ways, Super Mario Galaxy felt like a return to core Mario, despite the gimmicks. I still think they do want to appeal to the hardcore, in their own, peculiar way. They’re just not sure how to please everyone, which they want to do. But… sorry Ninty, you can’t please everyone.

8. Shatner

Following FPS-boy’s comments it’s notable that The Reg didn’t mention Metroid in his spiel.

Hmm.

9. Blerk

Well, they did sack everybody that worked on it.

Oops. I mean “they left”. “Of their own accord”.

10. Soong

Nintendo has successfully found a new audience, and is doing very well with this whole “blue ocean” thing, but is there really a need for condescending remarks like this about their old (‘hardcore’) audience?

11. No_PUDding

Ignorant twat.

Never expect me to treat what he says with an ounce of respect.

12. Psychotext

They’re not insatiable, they’d just like… something.

13. morriss

…involving.

14. No_PUDding

Real games.. I don’t even own a Wii and I am frustrated.

We are insatiable but his company is not really providing for this audience.

Anyway, many people called it, but Nintendo is the death of gaming, and I’m calling it now.

15. Panipal2005

Has Reggie always been this big an arsehole?

16. Shatner

He’s always been big.

17. yupyup

I just want more than a bit of action on my birthday Reggie, you tart.

18. JPickford

I think he genuinely doesn’t understand what the ‘core gamers’ are complaining about. Does he really think they’re after stuff like Wii Fit?

The claim (at E3) that Animal Crossing was aimed at core gamers was funny enough.

19. mightyhokie

Bottom line is this: Nintendo can see that the Wii 2 will not sell NEAR as many units as the Wii. The hardcore gamers have no incentive because Nintendo doesn’t care about us or putting our kind of games out, and the casual gamers won’t care because why buy Wii 2 when Wii 1 will work for years.

I think they have screwed the pooch by giving us crap graphics, non-story driven games, and everything and everything with Mario, Donkey, or Yoshi in it and nothing even remotely like Fable 2, BioShock, or even Viking!