DICE targetting 3 million for Mirror’s Edge

Wednesday, 24th September 2008 13:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

mirrorsedge7.jpg

According to this Edge piece, DICE marketing boss Martin Frain is estimating big sales for upcoming first-person action game, Mirror’s Edge.

“I would look for world-wide sales of over 3 million, on three platforms as a conservative number,” he said. “I think it has the potential to do a lot more than that.”

The title’s unique style is pushing the project to such lofty levels, said the exec.

“We’re being helped immensely, just by the look of the game,” he said. “You look at a screenshot of Mirror’s Edge, and you know what it is.”

More through the link. The game’s out in November.

1. Blerk

Oh dear. I think he’s going to be disappointed.

I really can’t see this having any ‘mass’ appeal at all.

2. patlike

I think 3 million’s a bit extreme, yep.

3. ecu

Yeah I can see this being one of the Christmas flops in terms of sales. It’ll get crushed under Gears 2, Resistance 2, Tomb Raider Underworld, Far Cry 2, et al. I think it’ll find it hard going against the big sequels coming out soon.

4. SplatteredHouse

I think that if we see TV and print ads for this – and, if we don’t someone’s for the high jump! – but if we do, it’s got every chance to do very well. I think it’s a strong visual impact, and design scenario, and it impresses people who see it. It’s not difficult to get across the basic concept to people.

5. Blerk

I think there’s a danger it’ll fall between the cracks of gamer tastes too. The FPS fans will want to know where their gun is, the action-adventurers will be put off by the first-person perspective.

I’d like to think it could succeed and do well, just because it tries to do something a bit different. But the alarm bells are ringing.

6. deanimate

its great how they’re trying something new but personally i cant see this being much fun at all.
    intrigued as to how it will fare :)

7. ruckus

Critically acclaimed but will do so-so at retail. The opposite of Force Unleashed.

8. scuz

this game is purely marketing bollocks, and pretty stuff, i have a bad feeling about this game and i can see it being shallow and not much fun at all.

but what do i know.

9. David

If this game isn’t good I wont buy another EA developer game I got burned with spore I’m not going to get burned again.