Rumour: Woolworths catalogue shows UK 360 cuts

Friday, 12th September 2008 14:18 GMT By Patrick Garratt

360pricecut.jpg

Here we go! This Engadget story‘s showing a shot of what’s purporting to be the next Woolworths catalogue, showing a hefty price cut across all Xbox 360 SKUs.

Arcade is shown for £130, Premium for £170 and the Elite for £230.

We’ve been told by senior UK sources in the past week that top-rankers would be “very surprised” is there was no Euro 360 cut in time for Christmas, so don’t be bloen away if this does turn out to be true.

See the image through the link.

1. ecu

Doesn’t everybody already own a 360? I’m not really sure I care for a price cut in a console I’ve owned for ages.

2. DrDamn

Well it’s a surprise for me. Though you have been able to pick up and elite for £240 online and £250 in store for some time already. Would bring the UK price down below the US price even further than it is already for the Premium and Elite.

3. patlike

That would put the Premium in line with Wii.

4. morriss

Not bad.

5. Psychotext

Isn’t that the same Woolworths that cut the price of the Wii recently? Still, good deal if you’re interested.

6. slayernl

This would be great because I know a lot of ppl who would be interrested in the 360 if just the price comes down a little more.

7. deftangel

I upgraded to an Elite for around 240ish from Shopto a few months back. If this is a general cut and not Woolies wanting to steal a march on everyone else the Arcade isn’t far off the PS2. I’m sure a few cheeky bundles with some of those more casual titles the retailers haven’t been able to shift onto the normal 360 userbase will spring up at Xmas.

Plus they could bundle VP2 and Banjo with an Arcade for less than the Wii probably…and that’s before GAME start flogging those with 10 shovelware titles for 300 quid because nobodies got any.

8. DrDamn

@SlayerNL
    I can see a big price drop being an incentive but never really saw a price drop which equates to half a full price game being that much of a deciding factor. Totalled up the initial price you pay for the console is quite small when you compare it to the overall cost of gaming (accessories, games, online costs etc).

9. absolutezero

Bought an Elite to replace my failing Prem today, im not really that bothered by a cut of that size, im still hugely happy with the new disc drive and sleek blackness.

10. SoylentGreen

I remember when Woolworths in the UK had a firesale to get rid of surplus HD DVD stock.

This sounds very similar. Perhaps the begining of the end of Woolworths stocking Xbox, due to abysmal Euro sales…

11. Whizzo

Hmm I think that’s only worth a rather poor 3/10 on the Trollometer.

12. morriss

ps3 is rubbish

13. Whizzo

That’s even worse! 1/10.

14. SoylentGreen

Sorry, it’s not a troll at all. It’s fact. When a retailer is struggling to sell product, they have to reduce it. This was the case with HD DVD, it’s also the cae with Xbox.

Just because you don’t like it, does not make it a troll post.

15. Blerk

Anyway, I hope this turns out to be true. Not just because I would save money when I bought a 360, but because I would be proven correct over Psychotext once again. :-D

16. Blerk

Heh heh. :-D

17. Blerk

Wow, man. Do you make any other kind of post?

18. morriss

Who are you talking to, Blerk?

19. Blerk

Myself, as usual, it would appear.

Or possibly Mr Green, who’s engadget/joystiq profile appears to show that he’s a semi-professional Xbox smack-talker.

20. morriss

Oh right. I just though I was missing some posts in between your last three. :)

21. Whizzo

“Yeah, seems over for the 360. I remember when Woolies stopped selling space dust and WHERE’S THAT NOW, EH?”

Ha, it’s more available than you think Mr Blerk!

A comparison of a globally dying format being sold off cheap with a price cut of something still selling well in Woolies obviously means the 360 is doomed.

22. Robo_1

Oh you star Whizzo, I’ll be making a few orders from there :)

Does anyone remember the white chocolate covered Pretzels? I think I was the only person on the planet who enjoyed them, but I was gutted when they were discontinued :(

23. Blerk

OMG! Retro sweets! Goodbye, teeth!