According to the official GC site, Leipziger Messe has officially dated Games Convention 2009, which is to run from August 19-23, 2009.
To say this “puts the cat among the pigeons” is a bit of an understatement. The BIU – the German equivalent of ESA or ELSPA – has announced GamesCOM for 2009, a Cologne event that clearly supposed to replaced Games Convention as the major German – and European – games show.
While better travel connections and more hotel rooms are obviously on offer in Cologne, you’d have to be a bit mental to call this year’s Games Convention anything other than a success. Facts and figures:
- Exhibitors: 547 (2007: 503)
- Space occupied: 115,000 sqm (2007: 112,500 sqm)
- Visitors: 203,000 (2007: 185,00)
- Trade visitors: 14,600 (2007: 12,300)
- Media representatives: 3,800 journalists from 48 countries (2007: 3,395 from 46 countries)
Let’s hope someone with an agenda doesn’t go confusing everything for no real reason, eh?