According to the official GC site, Leipziger Messe has officially dated Games Convention 2009, which is to run from August 19-23, 2009.
To say this “puts the cat among the pigeons” is a bit of an understatement. The BIU – the German equivalent of ESA or ELSPA – has announced GamesCOM for 2009, a Cologne event that clearly supposed to replaced Games Convention as the major German – and European – games show.
While better travel connections and more hotel rooms are obviously on offer in Cologne, you’d have to be a bit mental to call this year’s Games Convention anything other than a success. Facts and figures:
- Exhibitors: 547 (2007: 503)
- Space occupied: 115,000 sqm (2007: 112,500 sqm)
- Visitors: 203,000 (2007: 185,00)
- Trade visitors: 14,600 (2007: 12,300)
- Media representatives: 3,800 journalists from 48 countries (2007: 3,395 from 46 countries)
Let’s hope someone with an agenda doesn’t go confusing everything for no real reason, eh?
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.