Square wants FFXIII on 360 because of “the success of our console,” says Microsoft

Friday, 8th August 2008 13:55 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ffxiii3.jpg

Speaking at E3 Xbox global marketing director Albert Pennello scotched rumours that any kind of “behind the scenes” maneuvering has gone on to get FFXIII on 360, saying that Square simply can’t ignore the machine’s install base.

“I think a lot of people assume a lot of things about why Square made that announcement,” he said, talking in MundoRare. “I think the most obvious reason that they made the announcement is just looking at the success of our console. I mean, we’re the leading console on a worldwide basis, we’re more than double the install base on the US.

“I actually think it’s a great partnership. Square has done games for us in the past, and I think there’s a point where Square just has to look at the Xbox 360, the install base and attach rates that we’re seeing and actually has to make a decision on their own that it’s the right thing to do for them.

“So, I think people make a lot of assumptions about what they read or the rumours that go around, but the reality of a lot of this is that we’re doing very well, we have a great install base, we have passionate gamers like you guys that buy a lot of games, and a publisher like Square can’t ignore that.

“I think it’s easy to assume that something’s going on behind the scenes, I think the more obvious answer is we’re doing really well and the game creators want their games to be where the most people and the most consoles [are], and right now that’s the Xbox 360.”

Watch the video after the link.

Summit In The City – Albert Pennello interview from MundoRare on Vimeo.

1. TJ

I notice he didn’t actually out and out deny the existence of a cash transaction.

2. No_PUDding

“I think the most obvious reason”

So they aren’t denying money swapped hands? I am not surpirsed.

EDIT: Exactly TJ

3. Robo_1

“.. I mean, we’re the leading console on a worldwide basis…”

That’s rubbish though isn’t it. The Wii is the biggest console in the world right now.

4. SticKboy

He probably meant HD console, innit. Or at least “console capable of running FF XIII”.

5. No_PUDding

Yes, I am sure that’s what he meant.

Microsoft have rightfully dismissed the Wii sicen it first starting sellign like hotcakes.

And I totally agree, it’s a different market.

6. Robo_1

It’s an omission MS PR folk have a habit of missing out though.

7. No_PUDding

Well it is but the Wii is just a different market. They should include it if they are going to target that very large audeince though.

I certianly see this audience being somethign the PS2 had, and Nintendo picked up on.

It’s soem the PS3 is capable of graspign when at the right price point, and it’s soemthign Microsoft is way more capble of taking at the moment.

8. Robo_1

It’s an interesting question though isn’t it. I agree the Wii is a different beast to PS3/360, but is it so different that it shouldn’t be viewed as direct competition to the HD consoles.

At the end of the day, I’ve only got a finite amount of money to spend on gaming, so when I buy a game I still have to decide which format to buy multi-platform games on, or which exclusives I want but will wait until they’re cheaper.

All three companies seem keen to court the casual gamer whilst ensuring the hardcore gamer is kept happy, and whilst Nintendo may be letting the hardcore down at the moment, their name checking of Zelda and Mario at E3 shows that they’re (we’re ;)) certainly not forgotten.

So yeah, I’m not sure if the Wii’s abilities or target audience is enough to remove it from comparison with PS3 and 360, and even though it’s inclusion will always hang like a deathly black cloud over any PR boasting MS or Sony want to come out with, at the end of the day, they are all first and foremost games machines.