No other PS3 hard drive configurations planned for Europe, says SCEE president

Wednesday, 7th May 2008 10:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

davidreeves.jpg

Speaking to videogaming247 at the SCEE PlayStation Day in London yesterday, SCEE president David Reeves said that PS3′s hard drive is staying at 40Gb in Europe for the foreseeable future.

“I don’t know that any other hard drive configuration is even planned,” he said when asked when an 80Gb SKU – so popular in the US – would release in Europe.

Continuing on the topic of PS3 hard drives, Reeves went on to indicate that those looking to get involved with PlayTV in September are likely going to have to buy a new one.

“I think eventually, yes, it will be,” Reeves said when asked if hard drive size was significant to the consumer SCEE’s trying to reach in Europe.

“I think the person that wants to be multimedia – and when we bring out PlayTV, they’re going to find that 40Gb is too small. But it’s not proprietary. You can go out and you can just buy another hard drive and just plug it in.

“You know, hard drives are a commodity. Sony says, ‘OK, we’ll go with 40, we’ll go with 60, we’ll go with 80,’ but Seagate, who produces hard drives, they might find that next year, for example, the cheapest hard drive is 120Gb. I’m not saying we’re launching it, but they might say, ‘We’re putting a zillion 120Gb hard drives into Vaio and Toshiba laptops,’ right? And they say, ‘That’s the cheapest one. But if you want a 40, that’s prehistoric and you’ll pay twice as much.’

“That’s honestly how it is. It’s a commodity.”

SCEE announced a new MGS4 bundle last night, which includes the 40Gb machines. Now you know why.

Read our full coverage of the SCEE PlayStation Day, including all the announcements, media and impressions so far from around the web, here.

1. Blerk

It’s all very well saying you can just swap it for another, but you’re still charging us for a 40gb drive. It’s not like you can buy a PS3 without an HDD and supply your own.

2. patlike

It *is* good that you can swap them, though. My 360′s got a 20Gb proprietary drive and a 120Gb one costs 130 quid! I’ve only got about 5Gb left on the drive, and I’ve never even downloaded video. I’d say that’s far more shocking, to be honest.

3. Blerk

I’m not arguing with that – Sony have done a lot of things right with the PS3 that they could’ve easily screwed us on, like the non-proprietary HDD and leaving out the region locking.

But for everything they give us, they take something away with the other hand. Why can’t we have an initial choice of HDD size? Why do we have to settle for half a controller? Why doesn’t the PS3 support 60hz in standard definition? All these things are stuff that people have been asking about for ages, yet they seem content to never actually bother answering those questions and keep bashing out the ‘the package we have is good enough for everyone’ line when it’s perfectly obvious that there’s a sizable chunk of their potential user base for whom the current package certainly *isn’t* good enough.

4. O Monarca

Gross majorities dictate the rules. Europeans like sodomization, it seems…

SOdomization Nice, Yes?

5. patlike

Well, to be fair to them, they are releasing DS3 here very soon. As for the other stuff, I really don’t know. Whatever they’re doing they probably feel vindicated though, as they’re outselling 360 and exceeding their own targets. I reckon by the end of this year, when it’s cheaper, Sixaxis is a distant memory, etc, a lot of general frustration will dissipate.

6. Blerk

I’m suppose I could potentially be classed as “quite difficult to please”. If I’m honest. :-D

It just irks me somewhat to see Europe giving Sony the most love and Sony giving Europe the shitty end of the stick in return. How about some preferential treatment for your most loyal fanbase for a change, SCEE?

7. patlike

I think it’s good to be critical, though. They have done things wrong as well as right, obviously, but I still think we’ve only seen the beginning of PS3. In hindsight, they showed nothing new yesterday in terms of product, so there’s loads to come later this year – 8 Days, Tears of Blood, etc – and I think a lot of the (justified) gripes will be banished when it really gets going.

Don’t stop moaning, though :D

8. Blerk

I couldn’t even if I wanted to. It’s in me blood.

9. Psychotext

Blerk: It’s because Europe is so loyal that they get treated so badly. No incentive to try harder.

10. Spiral

Which just makes the “We’re being mistreated” claim all the more absurd.

11. El_MUERkO

8 days is just ramping up though, so that’s almost surely a 2009 game, i think little big planet and resistance 2 will be the big exclusives they’ll push this year and i don’t have much interest in either