Fumito Ueda confirmed for Nordic Game

Tuesday, 6th May 2008 12:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

shadowofthecollosus.jpg

Nordic Game confirmed this morning that ICO and Shadow of the Colossus dev star Fumito Ueda will be doing a talk at the show this year.

No details on what we can expect from the maestro were given.

The expo’s being held on May 14-15 at the Malmö Convention Center in Malmö, Sweden.

Press release after the link.

ICO star joins a roster of over 100 speakers at Nordic Game 2008

A record-breaking gathering of more than one hundred industry profiles will crowd the stage of the Malmö Exhibition & Convention Center for this year’s Nordic Game conference. The creator of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus is the latest celebrated name to board the conference flagship of the Nordic games industry.

Fumito Ueda, world-renowned creator of critically acclaimed PlayStation titles ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, joins the Disruptive Design session in this year’s Game Creation and Technology program to discuss creative innovation and new game niches. Previously announced participants for this panel include Keiichiro Toyama, creator of Siren and Silent Hill, Rock Band’s Rob Kay and Tameem Antoniades, co-founder of Ninja Theory and creative director of Heavenly Sword.

The announcement of Ueda-san marks the climax of this year’s extraordinary roster of speakers. With more than one hundred industry profiles from the Nordic and global games community contributing to the program, Nordic Game 2008 is the largest event of its kind ever arranged in the region and also looks to be the one of the largest games conferences in Europe this year.

The full conference and events program, a comprehensive speaker list and information about the many activities at Nordic Game 2008 are available on the event website at www.nordicgame.com.

For those still planning to attend the event, consider registering online today – with one week left until the conference begins on 14 May, registrations to date indicate that attendance will break all previous records.

Nordic Game conference and Career Expo will be 14-15 May 2008 at the Malmö Convention Center in Malmö, Sweden (25 minutes by commuter train from Copenhagen airport).

1. Michael

With any luck, this could be the exclusive reveal of a new Team Ico game for PS3.

We can only hope.

2. Blerk

I’d even settle for a ‘few hints’ at this stage.

I wish I could have my memory of Ico and Shadow erased so that I could play them afresh again.

3. Zumi

Maybe the Fenrir rumour had some substance after all.

4. Blerk

Remind me which rumour that was again?

5. Panipal2005

This could be the biggest Team Ico news we get this year….!

[[Remind me which rumour that was again?]]

I think it was actually cribbed (by whatever magazine it appeared in) from idle speculation on the Eurogamer Team Ico group…

6. Zumi

“Remind me which rumour that was again?”

Team ICO ran an add for new staff a few months ago, and the advertisement contained a picture which was a chain disappearing down a hole, with a shadow of what looked like people looking at it. The Team ICO theory was that the chain was binding Fenrir. As per the legend, which says that the gods created the Gleipnir to prevent the Fenrir from destroying them all.

It was a very loose connection, but Norse mythology is fantastic, and I’d love it to be true.

7. Blerk

Oh, *that* one. There have been so many I can’t remember them all. :-D

8. Hero of Canton

Fenrir just reminds me of Etrian Odyssey, and the dreaded FOEs.

9. Zumi

There hasn’t been THAT many. Most of them have been so obviously fake you forget about them though. I can only recall about three different theories as to what their next game is. One about a canyon, another that it’s a direct sequel to SotC, and this Fenrir one. That’s about it really.. the others have been a little bit too silly.