Sierra Spring Break 08: Stay Puff’t confirmed for Ghostbusters, Infernal Engine looks amazing

Monday, 28th April 2008 13:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ghostbusters3.jpg

Speaking to videogaming247 at the Sierra Spring Break 08 in Mallorca last week, Terminal Reality confirmed the everybody’s favourite Marshmallow Man, Stay Puff’t, will definitely feature in the upcoming Ghostbusters game, and showed the meltable monster off in a highly impressive Infernal Engine demo.

The first thing we saw in the tech display was 500 metal objects being dropped randomly into the game environment.

“What you can see here is that I can push against the pile [of objects] and the player can interact with physically simulated objects with no jitter, no pushing and no disability problems,” said Mark Randel, Terminal Reality president.

Randel then dropped 1,000 objects onto the screen: we all gaped as the metal boxes rolled across the environment, bouncing off each other and whatever else stood in their way.

Next up was the New York public library and the Infernal Engine’s crowd technology.

“There’s one level in Ghostbusters that takes place on Thanksgiving Day weekend and you’re going to be in the Thanksgiving Day parade,” said Randel. “So having large crowds of people is important to the game.”

He showed hundreds of people running out of the NYC library and into the street in panic, bouncing off each other. Those nearest to your in-game character paying him attention.

“They recognise you and know you could do something,” said Randel.

The crowd fell silent and slowly made a path for you to proceed into the library building. It was impressive stuff.

Finally Mark Randel dropped 1,000 people into the street, “each one individually simulated.”

“See how they walk around me, see how they push and shove each other,” said Randel.

All of a sudden, the Stay Puff’t Marshmallow appeared [YAY – Ed], larger than life, filling the whole screen and taking huge strides in your direction. We noticed how the members of the crowd closest to him reacted first, and how the panic spread through the throng.

And that was that. Don’t fret though, as you’ll be able to see it in action yourselves this October for PS3, 360, Wii, PS2 and DS.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

I’m surmising this wasn’t the Wii version you were looking at? :-)

2. patlike

The super-duper PS3 version :D

3. Psychotext

SIERRA NEWS ATTACK!

4. patlike

It’s the NEUTRON FUCKING BOMB of Sierra news. My brain hurts.

5. morriss

Big time.

I almost didn’t get any time to get really drunk, sun bathe, gawp at the German dancing girls and eat loads of free food whilst rubbing shoulders with gaming’s Elite.

6. Blerk

Gaming’s elite? I thought you went to see Sierra? :-D

7. morriss

I’m talking about the other guests!!

8. Blerk

I could well be up for a bit of Ghostbusters, actually. I was watching the film on the telly yesterday with the kids and ‘time has not been kind to it’, but it’s still brilliant. The game will probably look better than the movie.

Edit: Are we going to get any video out of this event, or what?

9. patlike

Haven’t seen any yet, tbh. We didn’t shoot any. Actually, Mike mentioned a Ghostbusters interview on Gametrailers earlier.

10. patlike

And yep, I’m up for Ghostbusters, Bourne and Prototype. I’ll definitely have a waz on all of them, I reckon.

11. Blerk

I can’t see that making the box, tbh.

“I’d certainly urinate on this game! – Pat, VG247″

12. patlike

We could make a little “PISS-WORTHY!” VG247 award to go on box-art. And a big picture of Mike with his thumb up.

13. Blerk