UK retailers in dark on Euro 360 drop, but senior insider confirms truth

Wednesday, 5th March 2008 14:15 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Speaking under condition of strict anonymity, a senior UK source has confirmed to videogaming247 that Microsoft is readying a European price cut for Xbox 360, saying that NDAs are in place to prevent privy parties speaking on the record.

According to this story, the price is going to be cut by €50 across all SKUs on March 14. Microsoft has issued a “no comment” to the news, said the original piece.

The drop would mean the Core pack would be cheaper than a Wii in Europe at approximately £150.

Speaking on the record, however, UK retailers are claiming they know nothing of the move.

“We’ve not received any call about it ourselves,” said an HMV spokesperson.

“We haven’t heard anything at all,” said a member of the WHSmiths buying team.

Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

1. Blerk

So we’re probably looking at £170ish for an Arcade, £220ish for a Premium, £270ish for an Elite? Does that sound about right?

50 Euros is about 38 quid, so I’m surmising we’ll be rounded down to £30.

2. Blerk

If Sony are equating the PS3 with the Elite then they should knock at least £20 off right now. ^_^

3. patlike

Yeah, I reckon that sounds about right.

4. Rhythm

Nice to see the price going down but since I’ve had black I’ll never go back ;-)

5. patlike

I’d be surprised if Sony cut now. The won’t harm 360 sales any, though, especially give GTA IV’s release.

6. patlike

All that lovely GTA IV DLC, though… ;)

7. Rhythm

Sorry, I prefer to be able to hear the games I play without having to turn my surround system up to Disaster Area levels ;-)

Plus that DLC is going to be hella pricey :-/