Journalists can now register for the inaugural gamescom, Koelnmesse just confirmed.
Hit this to get started.
In case you missed it, gamescom is the “new Games Convention,” taking place in Cologne this year from August 19-23.
Get all the details after the break.
Accreditation for gamescom is online
You can apply for accreditation easily and conveniently online via the link
To do so, we need you to provide us with your personal details and information on your activities as a journalist. You will then have the option of attaching your accreditation to the form. Please notice the special guidelines for online-media (Point 2a).
If this is not possible, you can send us the documents by fax (+49 (0)221 821 3017) or by post to:
Presse Akkreditierung gamescom
Postfach 21 07 60
50532 Köln, Germany
Your press card will be sent to you before the start of the event.
Please note: It is important that you provide us with your journalistic certification.
New Koelnmesse GmbH Press Accreditation Guidelines
In order to ensure that members of the press and media enjoy the best possible access to information and events in connection with the trade fairs and exhibitions organized by Koelnmesse, all persons able to demonstrate their status as full-time journalists will be granted press accreditation. We would like to underline that amendments to the policy governing the granting of press passes, effective as of 1st January 2009, will require that detailed checks are carried to verify the authenticity of journalistic status.
We therefore request that all members of the press and media ensure that they apply for accreditation well in advance of the event in question. An online accreditation form is to be found on the press pages of the website for each event. Should that event be subject to any special regulations that deviate from the general accreditation guidelines, these will also be published here.
1. Basic rules of accreditation
Full-time journalists able to demonstrate their status by means of a valid press pass issued by a journalistic association are eligible to receive press accreditation for the events of Koelnmesse.
In addition, the following will be granted press accreditation:
* Journalists able to present a commission, issued by a news agency or an editorial office, related to the event in question, in the form of the original letter with letterhead (not a copy), in German or English, and signed by the chief editor.
* Persons able to demonstrate their eligibility by means of relevant press material bearing their name and of a recent date (no older than three months before the date of the event).
* Persons able to present a recent masthead (no older than three months) naming them as an editor or freelance author of the publication in question.
* Persons able to demonstrate that they are responsible for the press activities of one of the companies exhibiting at the trade fair in question.
* Members of youth press associations, who upon presentation of a valid membership card will receive a non-renewable “youth press” accreditation for one day only.
* Foreign journalists with an official press pass from the respective country. Foreign journalists not in possession of such a press pass must present one of the forms of proof specified above, either in German or English.
2. Special rules for online editors and authors
Due to the general accessibility of the internet and the attendant difficulty of evaluating the status of journalists working for online publications, the latter will only be accredited if they can present a valid press pass issued by a journalistic association. Recognition of this press pass is subject to the terms specified above in Section 1, Paragraph 1.
Exempt from this requirement are online editors and authors who can show they belong to a larger editorial body or publisher that demonstrably produces online sites featuring predominantly self-generated journalistic content. In order for editors and authors of online magazines of a journalistic nature to be granted accreditation, the subject matter of the online publication in question must directly correspond to the topic of the trade fair for which accreditation is being requested. We request that editors and authors of online publications contact us about accreditation well in advance of the start of the event in question.
Special note for Internet journalists attending gamescom
2a. Online media/Web portals, community and gaming press representatives are also eligible for accreditation to gamescom without necessarily belonging to a full editorial team, provided that they:
* can present proof of a commission to the trade show in question;
* can legitimise through recent (not older than three months) press articles;
* are officially listed as an editor and/or freelance author of a Website (also not older than three 3 months)
* can prove that they are responsible for press work for a company exhibiting
Online media with no affiliation to a full editorial team are requested to accredit themselves online only, well in advance of the trade show. Due to the number of requests, accreditation after 1 August and at gamescom itself is not possible.
3. The following persons will not be accredited
* Persons lacking any form of journalistic credentials.
* Accompanying persons who are without any journalistic status and therefore unable to demonstrate their eligibility.
* Persons who only broadcast via an open, unlicensed channel.
* Persons who only publish via weblogs.
* German nationals residing in Germany who present a foreign press pass.
* Persons with company pass from broadcasting stations, news agencies or publishers, and who are not in possession of an editorial commission.
* Representatives of press or PR agencies who are not acting on behalf of a company exhibiting at the trade fair in question.
* Persons whose press passes have expired.
* Persons whose credentials have not been provided by an editorial office or whose commission does not cover the trade fair in question.
* Persons who present an editorial commission provided by another freelance journalist. This applies especially to commissions provided by family relatives.
4. The following are also inadmissible for the purposes of accreditation
* Business cards
* Invitations from exhibitors to attend press conferences or other events
* Company passes from broadcasting stations, editorial offices or companies
5. Important information
The technical facilities and services available at the press centre, most particularly PCs, fax machines and the like, are provided exclusively for the purposes of reporting on the event for which journalists have accreditation. The Corporate Communications & PR Department reserves the right to demand documentary evidence of this reporting. In the event of abuse, a journalist may be barred from using the press centre services. In addition, Koelnmesse also reserves the right to withdraw accreditation for the event from the journalist in question.
Koelnmesse reserves the right to demand verification of bona fide journalistic activity in the form of an attestation from the editorial office in question or bylined articles etc. If such documentation is not produced or does not conform to the accreditation guidelines, Koelnmesse may refuse to grant accreditation. There is no automatic entitlement to accreditation. Koelnmesse reserves the right to enforce its house rules in all matters of accreditation.
Services for journalists
* Issue of press cards, parking permits and catalogues
* Display of Koelnmesse press releases and product information of exhibitors
* Press computer workstations with CD-ROM drives, Internet and e-mail access, communication interfaces for mobile computers/laptops, storage of digital camera data, flatbed scanners, flashcard readers, image-processing software
* W-Lan (free of charge)
Koelnmesse photo service:
Digital image material on CD-ROM concerning each trade fair, Koelnmesse and the city of Cologne; online distribution of visual motifs from the image data bank, electronic photo mailing service.
Cologne Trade Fair TV Service by WIGE MEDIA AG:
WIGE MEDIA is pleased to offer TV footage from every fair to all TV stations completely free of charge: – Rough cut (length approx. 10-15 min) of the trade fair’s highlights, featuring interviews and representative footage, av ailable on the first day of each fair – Rough cut (length approx. 15-30 min), featuring background stories, (multilingual) interviews and footage (suitable for international TV stations), available one day after each fair According to requirements, the feed of the first day of each fair (rough cut) will be available either via satellite or ATM line. The international feed will be sent out on tape (Beta SP PAL/ NTSC) by courier one day after the fair. Subject to availability, special requests from TV stations can be considered. If required, ENG-teams and edit suites incl. cutter may be hired. In this case, we would ask you to contact us in good time (at least 24 hours in advance). Contact: Ms Diane Lieken, +49 151 19562479, email@example.com
Koelnmesse offers radio stations the option of downloading broadcast-ready audio material in MP3 format for their reporting free of charge. The radio service can be accessed via the Press section of the respective trade fair website, at the latest by the first day of the trade fair. Here, reports and original sound footage can be listened to and downloaded (MP3, 128Kb, mono). The available materials include complete broadcast-ready features (between 1:30 and 7:00 min.), individual modules that can be edited by the broadcaster, original sound footage, reports, News and interviews related to the trade fair. Separate reports or modules for editing can also be produced upon request to fit individual needs. The reports can also be sent upon request via audio CD. The contact person for the Koelnmesse radio service is at DHD: Deutscher Hörfunk Dienst (DHD), Tim Sauerwein, +49/25 97/96 11 0, Fax: +49/25 97/96 11 96, Mobile phone: +49/173/622 62 62 , firstname.lastname@example.org
In the “Press” section of the corresponding event, you can listen to presentations and other sound footage (in German). If desired, these files can also be downloaded (MP3, 128KB, mono)
Photostats, lockers (2-€-coin)
Press parking facilities
Online booking of hotels, private accommodation, flights or complete travel packages
Travel and accommodation can be booked quickly and easily on the website of the corresponding event. The hotel services of Koelnmesse include partnerships with 75 hotels in Cologne and 34 in the surrounding area, all of which offer excellent rates for trade fair participants. You can book the hotel or reasonably priced private accommodation of your choice simply by clicking on the link “Hotels and private accommodation” on the website. Via the link “Flights and travel packages” Koelnmesse is cooperating with one of the world’s largest travel booking services to offer special combined travel packages consisting of hotel rooms, flights and rental cars at significant discounts from the rates that would normally be payable for booking individual services.