Obsidian broaches the subject of KOTOR 3 “every three to six months”

Thursday, 24th July 2014 16:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Many of Obsidian’s staffers are Star Wars fans, so much so that every three to six months the subject of developing Knights of the Old Republic 3 is broached.

Speaking to IGN, Pillars of Eternity project director Josh Sawyer and lead producer Brandon Adler said while the conversations are never “anything terribly serious,” the series is still close to the studio’s heart.

“I think there are a lot of the people at the studio that would like to do Knights of the Old Republic 3,” Sawyer said. “I think at that time LucasArts was really focused on what they considered to be extreme, extreme blockbusters and even though the Knights of the Old Republic series was pretty successful, it just never seemed like something that was going to happen at that time.

“Having said that, a lot of time has passed. I know there are a lot of people at the studio who are really interested in doing a project like that.”

“It’s something that comes up every three to six months,” said Adler. “We bring it up and talk about it. Not anything terribly serious, but we just say ‘wouldn’t it be cool if?’ and just develop some ideas for what we’d do with that stuff.”

Last year, studio head Feargus Urquhart said Obsidian was waiting for the “right moment” to approach license holder Disney with a pitch on a new Star Wars game. He even discussed a pitch made to LucasArts once regarding a project set “between-Episode 3 and Episode 4″ because the timeframe was “super interesting.”

“It’s the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, it’s Obi-Wan going off and making sure Luke is OK. It was an interesting time to set a game, and Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story,” Urquhart said at the time.

“But that’s one of my next big things to do. To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again].”

Sawyer and Alder told IGN said it wouldn’t be unusual for Urquhart to pursue deals on his own, so if he has pitched anything to Disney at this time, they are unaware of it.

Keep hope alive.

1. BrokenSpline

Yeah that won’t be happening you know with EA and having exclusive rights to the IP.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Os Money

take my money; do it. do it now.

#2 4 months ago
  3. The_Red

@BrokenSpline
    Why not? Obsidian has worked for publishers before. South Park was for THQ and then Ubisoft.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Obernox

GAH! JUST DO IT! Obsidian has some great writers, and KOTOR 2 was fantastic.
    Fund this man!

#4 4 months ago
  5. Os Money

@Obernox KOTOR 2 was good mostly till the end. The ending was rushed and rather crappy.

#5 4 months ago
  6. BrokenSpline

@The_Red

Obsidian doesn’t pull the weight needed to push Star wars for one. Bioware, DICe and Visceral are all better studios. Bioware is hands over fists better than Obsidian and even when they put out less stellar games they are better than Obsidians best games. Also Bioware doesn’t have a stain of Alpha Protocol.

#6 4 months ago
  7. The_Red

@BrokenSpline
    “Bioware is hands over fists better than Obsidian”
    Now I have to strongly disagree. Fallout New Vegas alone blows almost every western modern RPG out of the water. Hell, even the Alpha Protocol had more fun RPG mechanics than most BioWare games.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Darkfield

@BrokenSpline disagree, with exception of SWTOR’s class stories which where muthafaking brilliant at least on the Sith side of things, KOTOR2 was the best of the 2 KOTOR games because it dabbled into darker corners of the Force, it had some fantastic writing which IMO made KOTOR1 pale in comparison.

BioWare’s best days are gone, long gone. It died with the sell out. Their last true masterpiece was Mass Effect (1) and Dragon Age Origins. Since then they’re just flopping hard. Even though I’m always excited to see what BioWare does and am actually looking forward to DAI and next ME installment I’m pretty skeptical about them and a bit worried too.

Meanwhile Obsidian makes great games that are actually Role-Playing Games, Fallout NV, Pillars of Eternity, their involvement with inXile’s Torment. It’s just so great to see they are doing fantastic work with the little they have.

#8 4 months ago
  9. BrokenSpline

@Darkfield

@The_Red

Both of your posts are subjective and I also disagree. THe point is EA has Bioware which have proven that they can pull 5 million + per game. Obsidian can’t pull that weight. And with Dice, Bioware, and Visceral all working on the Star wars IP it would be pointless to allow Obsidian to attempt. Obsidian should just go do their own game that plays on SPace Opera and see how it works nothing is stopping them.

#9 4 months ago
  10. The_Red

@Darkfield
    Speaking of Pillars of Eternity:

RAW mother fucking gameplay :)
    (That mouse cursor and dialogue window are so sweet)

#10 4 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Oh, you shut your dirty mouth. New Vegas was one of the best written, executed, and realised RPGs I’ve had the joy to play. It’s a masterclass on choice and consequence, moreso than BioWare’s binary morality. Also, no stains on BioWare’s record? So, you weren’t one of the angry herd kicking up a fuss about ME3′s ending and Dragon Age II, then?

(Besides, I liked both Alpha Protocol and ME3′s ending.)

Because popularity and best-selling equals quality! H-h-hyuk-hyuk-hyuuuk!

If that were true, then Micaheal Bay films would be the greatest artistic masterpieces of our, or any other time. The thing is is that most people, it is sad to say, aren’t very bright. And those who aren’t very bright can’t have an appreciation of complex things.

Obsidian makes complex things.

#11 4 months ago
  12. Darkfield

@The_Red I hate GB’s video feeds, they don’t buffer right and it keeps braking up and ruining it. :< this isn't on youtube sadly. But thanks for the feed. You have no idea how it's hard for me to wait for PoE.

#12 4 months ago
  13. The_Red

@Darkfield
    I had the same problem (And still do with GameSpot) but thankfully GiantBomb has different play methods.

Go to the quality option (Enabled before clicking the play or after the ad vid is finished) and change the the first option to progressive. This way you can buffer the whole vid and then watch it smoothly (Or download the progressive stream).

Wait for PoE is indeed hard :)

#13 4 months ago
  14. Darkfield

@The_Red Thanks man, now downloading it :D

#14 4 months ago
  15. Stardog

Please, no. Anyone but Obsidian. Let Bioware or someone do it.

Obsidian haven’t even made a decent original game. They’re better at working from other people’s bases, like with New Vegas.

#15 4 months ago
  16. Game Hunter

@Darkfield you got both Kotors?hell,where did you get em?my best guess is Steam but the fucking installer freezes on 20% and says that my internet connection is disconnected (while my internet is still up and running)guess vpn should do it.

#16 4 months ago
  17. Darkfield

@Game Hunter yeah, I can’t even download anything from steam without a VPN connection.

#17 4 months ago
  18. Darkfield

@The_Red Oh man just finished watching, it’s freaking awesome. I dunno how else to describe it. :’)

#18 4 months ago
  19. fearmonkey

I loved the Bioware game, I never finished Kotor 2, it wasnt as good to me.

Id love a Kotor 3, but I hope they do a better job than Kotor 2 if its done.

#19 4 months ago
  20. The_Red

@Darkfield
    Freaking awesome indeed. I hadn’t followed most of their updates so seeing the races, cultures and other features was really overwhelming in the best possible way. And the look of the world… holy mother isometric awesomeness!
    If the writing and RPG mechanics hold up, this really could become a truly worthy successor to Baldurs Gate 2.

(And now I am fantasizing about them making another Kickstarter to fun a proper follow-upto Fallout 2. One that it deserved because as much as I loved Fallout NW, it was no Fallout 1-2).

#20 4 months ago
  21. Darkfield

@The_Red Yeah Iknow what you mean, that’s why I hopped on W2 early access the moment it was on steam. Give me RPGs all they I want nothing else :D

#21 4 months ago
  22. Darkfield

@Darkfield all DAY* (ffs)

#22 4 months ago
  23. Inspectre

@Stardog

KOTOR 3. Note the 3.

#23 4 months ago
  24. sebastien rivas

As publisher, you really have to be stupid to put a stop at Obsidian for so long.

The story may or may not be stellar. Yes the engine need serious dusting and enhancement.
    What is sure is that KOTOR 1 & 2 were great and would be hard to do less than many star wars flop out there.

The beauty is that KOTOR 3 could even generate a type of background for upcoming star wars. But hey while solutions ARE limitless, you really have to be called publisher to not see screaming cash flow in front of you.

#24 4 months ago
  25. sebastien rivas

You know what Obsidian. Fuck star wars, I see greatness when combining Obsidian and firefly among sevetal other story.

#25 4 months ago
  26. ninjakenzen

It would be super unfrigginbelieveable if this was to happen.

But after the storyline of Revan in SWTOR, I was utterly crushed with disappointment towards any future based KOTOR game. I mean for the casual SWTOR player the Revan plotline might have been minor.

But as a KOTOR fan it was a total blow in the face.

If they made KOTOR 3, please can you retcon SWTOR. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

#26 4 months ago