PSN servers bogged down due to Destiny beta

Thursday, 17th July 2014 17:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The PlayStation Network is experiencing a bit of stress due to folks logging in ahead of Destiny beta today, with service intermittently available.

At least that is only thing we can figure, because that would be the obvious reason. Maybe not. Maybe someone tripped and unplugged a cord or something.

Anyway, according to a post by Sony, PSN is experiencing high volume, which may cause users to “experience issues when connecting to the service.”

Sony said it will update users on any changes that may occur regarding the issue, so just remain patient.

One way to keep track is to follow AskPlayStation on Tiwtter and while the BungieHelp account has yet to tweet on the matter, you should keep an eye on it as well.

The beta for Bungie’s online shooter starts today on PlayStation 3 and PS4. It is expected to go live in 30 minutes.

1. thegrimmling

Aaaaand THIS is why I moved to PC gaming.

Tired of the “walled garden” design of consoles.

#1 5 months ago
  2. wamp

it isn’t easy being xbox live.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Hcw87

I’m more concerned with the terribad download rates. I’m guessing it’ll take anywhere between 5 and 10 hours, when it should take me 1 hour tops.

And noone’s surprised of PSN being a shitty unstable service, even after requiring plus for multiplayer.

#3 5 months ago
  4. polygem

Haha. Knew it. preordered and registered day one. Worked my ass off today. Return home in a few minutes. Complete Server clusterfuck. No chance to play. Love is love. Can’t wait for tomorrow then I guess :D

#4 5 months ago
  5. hopegsmith

hy

#5 5 months ago
  6. TheSuave

Annnd this is when all the xbox and PC fanboys jump in with how much their stuff is better and how psn sucks lol. And before people start jumping on my back i got a pc, just dont care for how the gaming community has turn into a bunch of people squabbling over petty things as consoles or pc.

#6 5 months ago
  7. derpex

Xbox Live went down when Titanfall launched.

Shit happens.

#7 5 months ago
  8. Stephany Nunneley

Yup. What @derpex said. Happens on PC all the time as well. It’s to be expected, really. I would be surprised if it didn’t. :D

#8 5 months ago
  9. wamp

@derpex it didn’t. Origin went down on the PC.

Here’s the thing about PC online games. The is not a unified online service, so publishers set up they own, and they rarely invest heavy to sustain the traffic that a new game causes on release. So the PC ain’t much better in that space imo.

#9 5 months ago
  10. mickeytorrez

I just got in. Here’s a Destiny PS4 code for American users if anyone wants it TP46-93NJ-NM29

#10 5 months ago
  11. The_Red

@thegrimmling

Yeah because the none-”walled garden” design of PCs helped with Sim City and Diablo 3′s server problems so much!

#11 5 months ago
  12. zoopdeloop

Download took me 45 minutes with no issues
    a lot of pathetic trolling exaggeration around here

#12 5 months ago
  13. SCOUTING4GUNS

@Hcw87 seriously people are still saying psn downloads are slow lol you need to check your connection or call your net provider, I can download 15-20GB in about 30mins and tbh I’ve always been able to since I got a 50mb connection over a year ago.

#13 5 months ago
  14. lexph3re

@zoopdeloop Tis why it is best to ignore the net. 2,3 people will always complain while millions will continue to enjoy and not give a fuck.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Hcw87

It actually downloaded pretty fast when i managed to launch it after the PSN issues. Pleasantly surprised about that.

There’s a lot of complaining about the PSN service if you just bother to look. Fact is, Sony has a long way to go to justify their PS+ sub required for multiplayer scheme. Maintenance-free stable servers would be a great start. I see no improvement over the PS3 era yet.

#15 5 months ago
  16. ddtd

@Hcw87 If you already had the Alpha installed that drops the download size to under 200MB.

#16 5 months ago
  17. ddtd

@ddtd Argh. I should look before I post. That initial install was just a launcher. Now it’s installing the whole thing.

Btw, an edit button would have prevented me from looking like an idiot.

#17 5 months ago
  18. fengato

@ddtd I deleted the Alpha after Bungie said it was of no use a week ago. You had me worried there for a sec. :) Incidentally, if anyone wants to trade one of my spare PS4 codes for an X1 code I’d be much obliged.

#18 5 months ago
  19. Hcw87

Down again in Europe. Goddamn it.

#19 5 months ago
  20. Sethos

SCOUTING4GUNS, you’re full of shit you plank. Downloading 20GB on a 100Mbps connection takes 26 minutes. So how you manage that in 30 on a 50, I know you’re a retard. Plus, it’s extremely well know that PSN has slower download rates.

#20 5 months ago