This is why Rainbow Six: Patriots was shot dead by Ubisoft

Wednesday, 18th June 2014 08:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Rainbow Six: Siege was announced at E3 2014 last week, and many of you out there must be wondering why Ubisoft canned the game Rainbow Six: Patriots. Well, the publisher has explained it in a new interview.

rainbow_six_siege_1

Speaking of which, did you see yesterday’s explosive Rainbow Six: Siege gameplay footage from E3? Someone snapped it with their phone camera while the devs weren’t looking. Naughty bugger.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot recently said that Patriots was killed because the developers wanted to focus on multiplayer first, rather than its single-player campaign.

Now, an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Ubisoft technical artist Oliver Couture yields a different reason.

He said, “To be completely transparent, I worked on Patriots – on Rainbow Six for three-and-a-half years – and Patriots was old-gen. Xbox 360 and PS3. Next-gen consoles were just around the corner, and we were like, ‘OK, we want to also have a next-gen experience. What can we do for that?’

“We were trying stuff out with destruction technology, and we realized destruction really changes the game. We tried to see how it could fit with old-gen, but it just didn’t work out. So for us it was just a better solution to clean the slate, reset, and make what’s best for the players.

“We’ve been working hard for the past year-and-a-half [on Siege].”

Will elements of the original Rainbow Six: Patriots reveal demo return in Siege? Couture said that his team hadn’t fully figured out what the plan is for single-player, and assured fans the studio understands that multiplayer has always been the focus of the series.

He went on, “We understand that while this year we showed multiplayer – because we want to have fun playing against each other internally, it’s a good test to know if a game is fun – but we are 100 percent aware that single-player is a big part. We’re currently working on that too.”

“The scope of the single-player is not completely clear yet, so I cannot really elaborate on it. All I know is that the message we have on the production floor is like, ‘All the comments online, people are always talking about single-player. So we’re gonna have something for them.’ But I can’t say if it will be more cinematic [like Patriots was] yet.”

Are you liking what you see of Rainbow Six: Siege so far? Let us know below.

Via MP1st.

1. mamu-ti

Rainbow six Patriots Single player
    Rainbow six Siege Multiplayer

They kill the wrong game.

#1 2 months ago
  2. Skywalker333

since when has Rainbow Six been about multiplayer?
    co-op ok, but multiplayer?
    It used to be the best tactical fps out there, with amazing single player missions.

#2 2 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@Skywalker333 Co-op is a form of multiplayer because it has multiple players ;)

#3 2 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

Why couldn’t they just release Patriots for old consoles then? I mean the story looked interesting … but then again, it’s Ubisoft, I bet they would’ve found a way to fuck that up as well and make it as boring and as streamlined as possible.

#4 2 months ago
  5. The_Red

“assured fans the studio understands that multiplayer has always been the focus of the series.”

Wait WHAT?
    I played and enjoyed first 2 Rainbow Six games by myself. Guess what? They HAD full singleplayer and story modes and I know a lot of people loved those aspects. Just because you prefer multiplayer in your new shiny / rebooted game, doesn’t mean the awesome singleplayer aspect of original didn’t exist.

Also, the whole TOM CLANCY part of the game was because of the STORY driven singleplayer parts. Seriously, are these idiots even aware of the book and the main inspiration behind their game or are they just some MP shooter junkies that got their hands on RS franchise?

#5 2 months ago
  6. aaron_avelino

Oh please build a full pledge Story/Single player campaign for this game. The MP you showed at E3 was great but then if you really want to do justice with the series then you should build a dedicated SP and not a shoehorned one like Titanfall.

#6 2 months ago
  7. AmiralPatate

@Dave Cook
    True but you usually talk about coop when, well, you talk about coop. Multiplayer is usually meant as competitive (as in playing against each other, not e-sport) multiplayer.
    To me coop is more an extension of singleplayer. It’s like singleplayer with multiple people. Or singlemultiplayer. It makes sense in my head.

Anyway I don’t remember playing the old R6 games in a competitive way. Hunting terrorists with my friends is Rainbow Six to me.

#7 2 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

@The_Red

Seriously, this is the first time I hear anyone say that the focus of RS is multiplayer. I never experienced it like that.

I really hope the singleplayer will be great and will allow for character optimizations, like Vegas 2. Loved that part about the game.

#8 2 months ago
  9. Docker Al

It’s Ubisoft so multiplayer will be second rate peer to peer garbage that won’t even take geographical location into account. Just like Watchdogs. Ubisoft know only one way to do multiplayer: broken.

#9 2 months ago
  10. KesMonkey

It seems a lot of commenters here were oblivious to the how brilliant and popular the multiplayer modes of the two R6 Vegas games were. Attack and defend on Calypso Casino was a personal favourite.

#10 2 months ago
  11. stretch215

@10 +1. R6: Vegas mp was awesome and there was always people online

#11 2 months ago
  12. ddtd

The mp looks much more tactile then in recent R6 games. More like terrorist hunt, but with humans as the terrorists instead of AI.

#12 2 months ago
  13. fearmonkey

I am very happy with the look of the new Rainbow six games, which reminds me of the wonderful original Xbox games. I didnt care at all for the games that came after, and I love this type opf co-op, it looks like a ton of fun.

#13 2 months ago
  14. jon_

Annouces game at E3. Years later, they come up with very different stuff from that same game.
    That’s so Ubisoft.

#14 2 months ago
  15. theduckofdeath

@The_Red Are you talking about the console versions or the original PC games? I’d say it was about even SP vs. MP, with many people skipping either and more playing both. The competitive portion was always huge.

#15 2 months ago