Mortal Kombat X runs at 1080p and 60 frames, but on what formats?

Monday, 16th June 2014 11:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Mortal Kombat X will run at 1080p and 60 FPS according to series creator Ed Boon, but he’s neglected to tell us what formats that applies to. Cheers Ed.

Mortal_Kombat_x_9

It follows the reveal of these shiny new Mortal Kombat X screens, showing off all-new and returning characters battering the crap out of each other.

Our very own Matt Martin has played the game and has written up why he’s rather excited for it here.

The resolution confirmation came from Boon’s own Twitter feed, after he was asked what engine the fighter was running in:

We’ll keep our eyes open for a confirmation of what formats this refers to. Stay tuned.

Via Gamespot.

1. CyberMarco

Wii U! ba-dum tssss

#1 5 months ago
  2. Jonabob87

It doesn’t matter.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@Jonabob87 Agreed. But it does matter to some people (I’ve never understood it myself)

#3 5 months ago
  4. KAP

I’ve never really cared about this reso-wars but I can appreciate why some do…

Why can’t console gamers be?

I dunno, we all look at our gaming habits differently I guess, who are we to say what’s right and what’s wrong with that?!

Unfortunately, smug-factor is a thing with kool tech/hardware. It’s no different to all of us getting satisfaction over visuals on software as a whole.

#4 5 months ago
  5. The_Red

The PS4 version on the show floor and PS Live Demo was 1080p and running at 60fps so at least that one is taken care of.

Hopefully with the 10 percent increase in GPU power of Xbox One, that one can also run at 1080p and 60fps.

#5 5 months ago
  6. The_Red

@Dave Cook
    Actually, the frame rate is INCREDIBLY important to a fighting game. Street Fighter 4 and MK9 were both 60fps games. Even the Vita version of MK9 was 60fps (Which came at the cost of many visual features).

Resolution on the other hand is more debatable here. I personally care because after paying 400 + 60 bucks for a console and a game (TWO premium purchases), it is more than reasonable to expect the best console version. Others don’t.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Reddpayn

Ouch! Only unreal engine 3. So this game wont have the “next gen gameplay” i guess. Not worth buying then.

#7 5 months ago
  8. The_Red

@Reddpayn
    What does that have to do with anything? Batman Arkham Knight is also Unreal Engine 3 and last time I checked, it was one of the best next-gen games on display.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Xbone

@KAP Everyone, who buys current gen consoles (ps4 and xbone) care about the graphics. EVERYONE. Thats why they buy it.

#9 5 months ago
  10. onlineatron

it’ll be running 60 on everything. that’s kinda netherealms’ thing

#10 5 months ago
  11. Dog4life

In this genre 60 fps is a must.

#11 5 months ago
  12. Dave Cook

@The_Red it was resolution I was referring to specifically there, sorry. I’m still a big SF4 player after all these years. I go to a local fighting game social night every Tuesday with some pretty hardcore guys and gals.

(I get stomped every week though)

#12 5 months ago
  13. ManuOtaku

I do appreciate more, and i admire more, developers that use old techs to create new games that look good, than developers that do it with newer techs, case in point cod, is unbelivable what they can achieve with so an older tech.

I think In the past, developers had more technical wizardy than now, with more new development tools, they tend to be less creative from a technical view.
    If This game, as well as the next batman will end up looking great, kudos to both devs, and also what a great message to other devs.

#13 5 months ago
  14. The_Red

@Dave Cook
    I see, my bad :)
    Love SF4 (Mainly SSF4) but feel I’m rather rubbish at it. Still, it’s a blast to watch the game whether played by friends or pros during tournaments (That said, my faves are still MK and BB).

#14 5 months ago
  15. Panthro

@KAP

“Look at it this way, PC gamers are passionate about resolution, they go as far as to spend hard earned money on it.
    Why can’t console gamers be?”

I put it down to choice, if they could choose to play at 1080p 60fps they would and they would come to appreciate it and accept nothing lower, but they can’t choose so they try and push it to one side as if it doesn’t matter.

@Xbone

Yep, and when they get kicked in the balls with lower resolution and graphics they like to deny it.

Sums up there bullshit.

#15 5 months ago
  16. theduckofdeath

@Dave Cook Frame rates matter, especially in a fighting game. That’s why online fighting games can’t match the arcade or home experience. Unless you’re playing Injustice, which dropped plenty of frames even offline.

#16 5 months ago
  17. djjoejoe

What is a format? I’m lost.

#17 5 months ago