PS4 DNS errors continue with update 1.71, but this solution might work

Thursday, 5th June 2014 08:56 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 users have been hit by DNS errors for some time now, and the newly-released firmware update 1.71 has both fixed and triggered the problem for many users, which is confusing. However, there seems to be one fix that’s working for some.

ps4_hardware

We reported on the release of PS4 firmware update 1.71 yesterday, and it has since rolled out across several territories.

But following a reader tip from Dog4life, our attention was turned to this PlayStation support thread, which is now several pages long and includes many users complaining that the issue has started following the latest update.

User Shadesik posted, “Found solution that works for me manualy set DNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and everything should work just fine.”

The post was followed by users who said that the method actually works.

If that fails, The DoFollow blog has its own remedy, which sees the DNS manually changed to DNS1: 8.8.8.8 and DNS2: 8.8.4.4.

This depends on where you are of course, but if you look through the thread you’ll find solutions for a variety of countries that have been said to have worked.

Have you experienced this issue? Let us know below.

1. LisciousOne

I encountered this problem after the update but I re-booted my wifi and ps4 and it worked.

#1 6 months ago
  2. sonny

I have the same problem now. Before I updated the firmware everything was fine.
    I will try your solutions today evening. Hopefully one of them will work for Germany :)
    Thx for this article.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Dog4life

I’ve sent this news to Vg247 ;)

Try to change manually the DNS folks, it works. @ sonny

#3 6 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@Dog4life I mentioned you in the story :D

#4 6 months ago
  5. Dog4life

@Dave Cook
    hahaha , sorry Dave , saw it now :)

#5 6 months ago
  6. Project Siren

*Emergency*:
    Sorry for spam!

#6 6 months ago
  7. OlderGamer

I did what #1 did, been working good. But if it comes back I will try Dogs solution. Thnx.

#7 6 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 are googles public DNS servers, i use them all the time when something happens to my local ISP’s DNS.

#8 6 months ago
  9. wally10975

@allwhparehavingtheproblem. Just use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for your DNS if you need to, they are provided free of charge by Google with 99.9% uptime.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Quige

The other IP, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, are OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/opendns-ip-addresses/), again useful if your ISP has ropey DNS servers, or they go down for some reason. Didn’t know Google ran public DNS though so useful knowledge to remember.

#10 6 months ago