Obama: rubbish at games, but really likes The Witcher

Wednesday, 4th June 2014 10:00 GMT By Dave Cook

American president Barack Obama name-dropped The Witcher during a recent political visit to Poland, birthplace of CD Projekt RED and The Witcher RPG series. He’s down with the kids, you see?

Speaking of the Witcher, some new Wild Hunt gameplay is being streamed live tomorrow. Bookmark this to see it.

While in Warsaw, Obama presented a stage address with Polish prime minister Donald Tusk, which you can read in full here.

During the discussion, Obama said, “as you drive through Warsaw, you see that Poland is a country on the move, one with one of the largest and fastest-growing economies in Europe, a manufacturing powerhouse, and a hub of high-tech innovation.

“In fact, the last time I was here, Donald gave me a gift – the video game developed here in Poland that’s won fans the world over, The Witcher. I confess, I’m not very good at video games, but I’ve been told that it is a great example of Poland’s place in the new global economy and it’s a tribute to the talents and the work ethic of the Polish people, as well as the wise stewardship of Polish leaders, like Prime Minister Tusk.”

Hot damn. We’re guessing CD Projekt RED were pretty pleased with that one.

Meanwhile, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt made our list of the top 28 most-anticipated games of E3 2014 this week. Hit up the full list to find out what we’re most looking forward to seeing.

1. braindead1981

“I used to be a gamer like you, but then I took a presidency to the… err, nevermind, wrong game”. ;)

#1 5 months ago
  2. fengato

I’m surprised he felt comfortable using the word Witcher – let alone in relation to a *gasp* video game. Hopefully Fox doesn’t pick this one up.

#2 5 months ago
  3. polygem

the conspiracy theory guys will totally dig this

#3 5 months ago
  4. POOhead

Shouldn’t he be concentrating on the whole homeland pow thing lel

#4 5 months ago
  5. PrinceEV

this game and CDPR guys deserve more than this…

#5 5 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

@polygem

“Was President Obama playing videogames instead of trying to prevent the events in Benghazi?”

#6 5 months ago
  7. bradk825

@1 You’ve actually won the thread already. Congrats.

#7 5 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@braindead1981 Love it. Kudos!

#8 5 months ago
  9. braindead1981

@7+8: Thanks guys. I am actually getting ready for my very first E3, so I am very excited, and I guess it shows in my comments, even though this article is not related at all to E3. :)

#9 5 months ago
  10. mightyhokie

This is a man who would trade 5 terrorist generals for one deserter…so no surprise he’s shit at games. Shit at being a president, too.

#10 5 months ago
  11. majormayhem70

@mightyhokie Well if he’s shit at being president, what does that make George W. Bush?!? Oh yeah, ALL AROUND FUCKED UUUUUPPPPP!!!!.

Anywaaaays, let me let you in on a lil secret. The US was going to release these 5 guys by the end of the year anyways. Why? Cause they were considered prisoners of war. The Geneva agreement states that all POWs must be released at the end of a war. This war will be winding down at the end of 2014. The US has to let them go. These guys are a part of the Taliban. They are terrorists to the Afgahn people not US citizens. If these men were members of Al Qaeda, then the Geneva rules of post war practices wouldn’t apply, because they would be considered terrorists and not Taliban leaders. Two different things son. But no, you keep drinking that Fox News kool-aid, and stay in the dark to what’s really going on in the world. Remember the 2012 debate where Candy Crowley had to remind Romney that Obama did call the Bengahzi attackers terrorists? I’m willing to bet Romney watches Fox News too.

#11 5 months ago
  12. salarta

“He’s down with the kids, you see?”

But is he down with the sickness? :P

I think the more important aspect of this is that The Witcher got name-dropped as part of the whole global economy picture, not solely because it’s a video game. I don’t think I’ve heard of films being treated the same way, and even if they are, that just means video games are important enough in the global economy to merit equal standing within politics as well.

I tried The Witcher and The Witcher 2 and didn’t care for either game, but that’s not to say it’s bad or that I don’t see how people could like it.

#12 5 months ago
  13. salarta

@braindead1981 Here, have some past E3 goodness and we’ll all hope we get something like these some time this year.

Konami E3 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6OCnvvkSLM
    Giant Enemy Crab (Sony E3 2006): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g1fr5vk72M
    Wii Music (Nintendo E3 2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM2DCflkA6s
    Microsoft E3 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QflHRLW0Tz8 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQCJ6caGAIY
    Battle Tag (Ubisoft E3 2010): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8JJUxOaNuE

#13 5 months ago
  14. YoungZer0

@mightyhokie

You know why so many people say that negotiating with terrorists is wrong? Because the republican poster child Ronald Wilson Reagan fucked up so many times during his negotiations with terrorists. I mean this is the guy who republicans look up to and he gave islamic terrorist groups guns.

And he wasn’t even in war those.

Prisoner swaps during wars are nothing unusual. As much as I despise the reckless actions that lead to the capture of that idiot of a soldier; you don’t leave a man behind.

#14 5 months ago
  15. braindead1981

@salarta : Yeah, even reading some of the video titles (and the memories that came back) made me cringe already… But I am sure there will be at least one or two new additions to that list this year.

#15 5 months ago
  16. Tormenter

Yeah, .. of course he likes it.

All the corruption and backbiting reminds him of his administration.

#16 5 months ago
  17. Tormenter

@mightyhokie

He ‘may’ be shit at being president (although as a Brit, I DO like the man he’s a very good ambassador for such a reputation challanged country as the U.S), but he’s still the best president the yanks have has since Carter.

#17 5 months ago
  18. KAP

+100

#18 5 months ago
  19. Tormenter

@KAP

Ty

..and I think I’d better acknowledge the misspelling of ‘challenged’.. it makes me look a tad challenged.

#19 5 months ago