Xbox One has no secondary, hidden GPU stresses Microsoft’s Penello

Tuesday, 25th March 2014 10:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One was rumoured to have a second GPU ages ago, amid theories that Microsoft was holding back the full potential of its console to further bolster it in new updates down the line. The company’s product planning director Albert Penello has poured cold water on the claims.

It follows Phil Spencer’s insightful Xbox One discussion at GDC, during which he commented on VR, pre-paid alphas and much more.

On that dastardly second GPU rumour, Penello had this to say to one gamer:

He then went to Reddit to shed some light on his alleged ‘silence’ on this matter, hsi overall position and his active responses to rumours circulating around the press sites.

“I didn’t think it was festering because I thought I’d already commented on it. For some reason the DX12 announce seemed to make it resurface.

“A missed thread in that tweet string which I think is important – I’m not interested in calling out any site,” he added. “I see a lot of things on a lot of sites that aren’t right. If I see something here I try to correct it as well.

“My intention is not to give or take credibility from anyone. I’m just trying to set the record straight.”

Can’t say fairer than that, can you?

Via OXM.

1. CyberMarco

It doesn’t need any second GPU, it has the power of teh cloud after all.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Panthro

I bet they loved the rumour about the second GPU, alot of consumers are dumb enough to believe it, I’ve seen it online… Some xbox mouthbreathers actually STILL believe it.

I bet Microsoft surfed this rumour all the way to release loving every minute of it.

It would be hilarious though if there was a second GPU all this time and the xbox was still underperforming what the PlayStation was achieving, and now they are too ashamed to admit it.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Panthro

@CyberMarco

The infinite power of the cloud.

My friend who works at MS told me the cloud technically adds another 7-10 GPU’s into the xbox which makes it roughly around the same power as a $4000 PC, and since nobody has that much money to spend on a PC the xbox is now basically one of the most powerful platforms ever made but the developers just haven’t used the cloud yet because they don’t have to since the 1 GPU is enough, dont believe me if you dont want to I dont care he tells the truth since he works at xbox and knows everything about them.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Fin

wat

#4 5 months ago
  5. Michael Ireland

@Panthro Nobody is taking advantage of it because it’s a stupid way to design a game, much like the design of the CELL processor was bad design.

Sticking a bunch of servers together doesn’t mean it suddenly has legitimately that much extra power, because it still has to go back to the host machine. At best the use of a server will help with AI computation, but that’s nothing that hasn’t been doable for over a decade and is a very small amount of resources.

You are NEVER going to see the sort of games you just described on the Xbox One because no designer is ever going to be stupid enough to design their graphics around being always being connected online.

And the theoretical power of the servers isn’t remotely accurate to what the hardware itself can do, because it’s always going to be tethered to the machine’s overall specs. You cannot fit eight glasses of water into one.

Azure are just bloody servers. Good servers, but still just servers. It makes me laugh that people actually fall for this hyperbolic bullshit.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Michael Ireland

@Panthro …and I just realised you were being satirical

-__-;;

Never mind!

#6 5 months ago
  7. Daniel evans

@Panthro please please PLEASE tell me your not that stupid, if you truly have a friend that works at xbox then he deffinately doesnt work on hardware/software. The cloud isnt magical, all it simply does is offload a few calculations to free up some processing power, THATS IT. Im hoping your post was a joke tbh, otherwise you going to get bashed by a lot of tech guys/girls

#7 5 months ago
  8. Michael Ireland

@Daniel evans Took me a second read to realise he was taking the piss. Hahaha.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Daniel evans

@Panthro OOPS, you was being sarcastic wasnt you, you sarcastic bugger. I take back my comment also lol

#9 5 months ago
  10. Panthro

Hahahaha Jesus Christ you people take me as a fool.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Hcw87

When you act like a fool, people treat you as a fool.

#11 5 months ago
  12. Dragon

I hear some cult just lost their invisible deity that was supposed to save them in teh console WarZ.

#12 5 months ago
  13. Kyl Every1

@Michael Ireland
    He got me too, lol!

#13 5 months ago
  14. Eregol

Now Penello has explicitly stated this misterxmedia must be having a meltdown of sorts.
    Seriously, go check out the guy’s blog!
    He’s a basketcase!

#14 5 months ago
  15. fearmonkey

Poor Misterxmedia…All his baloney and pandering to the Xbone hopeful about the stacked GU, 2nd GPU, that the GPU in the Xbox One is a AMD R280 class, that MS has something really secret and special up their sleeve to suddenly show that MS has made the more powerful box…..all not exposed as fake and just wishful thinking.

I don’t know what is sadder, that he did that and people followed him, or that he is now exposed as having incorrect or fake information and that people still follow or care about what he thinks..

I guess the SDF wins this one Misterxmedia…..lol
    (For those who have no idea of what I am talking about, google that name and read his blog. It’s full of entertainment and wishful thinking)

#15 5 months ago
  16. Eregol

@fearmonkey I really, really hope he’s not some sort of parody.
    Funnily, he hasn’t updated his blog since yesterday.

#16 5 months ago
  17. tracyis300

Doesn’t the XB1 have the cloud to back it up. (Looks up and nothing but clear skies)… Nope!

#17 5 months ago
  18. BernardBlack

It doesn’t have a secondary GPU….but, it DOES have offload processors that they don’t talk about LoL. It was already mentioned at Hotchips, when MS announced the hardware specs; accompanying the GPU are 15 Special Purpose processors, including 4 command processors (2 compute, 2 graphics). Now, these are resources that exist within Microsoft’s in-house designed audio block (I believe, I don’t recall the schematics, but you can find the Hotchips presentation all over the net e.g. Tom’s Hardware site), however, they exist none the less. The 15 of these “Special Purpose” processors are probably inclusive of the 8 audio DSP’s (digital signal processors)…a couple, for which, are dedicated to Kinect. These offload processors also, Probably serve as Microsoft’s solution to HSA. So, true, while MS may not be hiding a secondary GPU, they do have resources that can “act” as such (on a smaller scale). So, while, you can’t necessarily say that this puts MS past Sony’s machine, it probably does help to keep it within competition. Microsoft always hinted, “It’s not about the numbers, but the way you “MOVE” the data around the system. So, it’s a no brainer…they have some sort of intricate offload design.

#18 5 months ago
  19. BernardBlack

@BernardBlack

…and I am always a sucker for these sort of intricate architectures…it may not be practical for developers, but the hardware and the thinking that goes into it, is amazing.

#19 5 months ago
  20. piss4sucks

it might not have another gpu or whatever but i bet the 10-20% of power ebing used by kinect while get used next year and blow pc and ps4 out of the water

#20 5 months ago