Flappy Bird creator “considering” bringing game back with a warning label

Tuesday, 11th March 2014 20:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen has told Rolling Stone he is considering bringing the game back; however, should he decide to do so, he will include a warning asking players to take a break due to it’s addictive qualities. These qualities are what caused Nguyen to take the game off the App Store. Via The Verge.

1. Tiucaner

LOL! Yeah… “Addictive”… Oh well, some people just get hooked with very little I guess.

#1 6 months ago
  2. salarta

@Tiucaner The addictive impulses of gambling are the same impulses that can cause people to spend way too long on a game, even simple and easy ones. It really doesn’t take much, just pressing one button is enough.

#2 6 months ago
  3. KAP

NEWS EVERYBODY NNNNEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWSS!!!!! – Sigh.

#3 6 months ago
  4. tenthousandgothsonacid

Yay. 75 mere mortals.

#4 6 months ago
  5. TheWulf

I have so much more respect now for Nguyen than I did before, and that’s saying something. He seems like a genuinely lovely and responsible person — both of those are very rare traits.

You’d be amazed. WoW is just face-rolling a cadence of keys for most of it, but it had one lady so addicted that she let her children die. Not everyone is self aware enough to question their actions, and this modern world of ours even seems to be convincing us to think less and less all the time, to question less. So that sort of thing is becoming more common.

It can lead to serious health concerns. There are cancerous, vile companies out there that actually exploit this aspect of human nature for their own profit already. Though, sometimes, it just happens accidentally and it’s always down to a person’s own ethical code to decide what happens next. Nguyen could have made a lot of money, instead he chose to put the health of people first and foremost.

This is the rare kind of person I’d love to see in politics.

Exactly!

And some people are unable to question this or fully realise it, sometimes they prefer to live in denial as to just how much of their life they’re wasting on a daily basis to addictive activities.

Twelve hours? No. I didn’t spend twelve hours playing that. Two hours, maybe.

This is one of the reasons I time myself with what I do, I choose to do that myself so that I don’t spend too much time doing any one thing. I manage myself carefully. As you’ve pointed out, though, not many do and sometimes all it can take is the simplest thing for someone to become horribly addicted and irresponsible.

It’s the irresponsible part that’s the bad part.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve seen people fall prey to MMO addiction and it hurts. Two of them were really good friends, one of them was a roomie, and they just let everything go in favour of playing with the game. One of my friends I yearn for, because he used to have really diverse interests, he was worldly and cultured, and talked about all manner of things.

Now his blog is just Warcraft, around the clock, day in, day out.

Addiction is real, I’ve seen it. At this point, I’m so sick of having to defend my position that I’d almost call anyone disagreeing with this either a person who’s ashamed of their own addictions, or an employee failing at a false flag operation. :P

Addiction is real. We need to stop treating it like a fantasy. It’s real, and it kills people, it ruins lives.

#5 6 months ago
  6. silkvg247

@TheWulf Yes some people naturally have addictive personalities. But what would you actually propose we do about it? At the end of the day it is THEIR problem and they should seek advice from friend, family or a doctor.

If they don’t get addicted to a game, they’ll simply find something else.

So yes, I’ll agree it’s a problem and it exists, but at the same time I will be so bold as to say “tough”. The world doesn’t change for the minority and in this case I’m glad.. otherwise any game with any “just one more go / just one more hour” quality (i.e. any GOOD game) would be banned from sale.

Sometimes people just have to take responsibility for themselves. Case in point hospitals who refuse new livers to alcoholics. Alcoholism is a disease.. but it’s still ultimately in your control. Everything comes from a decision you make. I’m sick of this mentality where you blame anyone other than yourself for your own addictions or flaws.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Michael Ireland

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly others are to drag people down.

@5 The problem is with the woman, not the game. This is pretty much the most basic point of behavioural psychology.

Nobody is denial about anything. Millions of people playing the game without any problems. You cannot blame the game anymore than you can blame alcohol if a drunk driver kills someone in a car crash.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Michael Ireland

Not to mention WoW is more casual now than it’s ever been, so any argument of it still requiring that kind of investment is null and void.

If your friend is drowning himself in a virtual world, it’s because something in his own life is missing. The game is a symptom of the problem, not the cause. I’m “self aware” ( what a pretentious phrase.) enough to realize this. You should be too.

#8 6 months ago