Dragon Age: Inquisition video takes you to every corner of the land

Thursday, 6th March 2014 16:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bioware has released a Dragon Age: Inquisition video highlighting some of the locations in the RPG.

DAi

Called “Discover the Dragon Age”, the areas in the video show a “realistic ecosystem” complete with predators, prey, factions, and more.

“The world’s population is based on an emergent system that adjusts what you’ll encounter based on how your actions tip the balance in the area,” said producer Cameron Lee. “You’ll see towns attacked by bandits, deer fleeing from wolves, giant’s feeding on bears, and countless other scenarios.

“When we started Dragon Age: Inquisition, one of our earliest goals was to bring the world to life and let you decide who you want to be in this vast and complex world. We accomplished this by using the Frostbite engine, which supports massive areas, destruction, and the most advanced next-gen technology we’ve ever seen.

“Dragon Age: Inquisition is BioWare’s first next-gen game. It’s also our most ambitious game to date! Nowhere is this more visible than in the incredible size and diversity of locations, life, and hidden places you’ll discover on your journey.”

Dragon Age: Inquisition is slated for release on PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One later this year.

1. Dark

Looks pretty good .. can’t wait for this and TW3.

#1 10 months ago
  2. MrSec84

Very nice, especially the water effects.
    The more natural areas, like woodland looks very good.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Hcw87

Beautiful.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Edo

So this is how Skyrim would look like in Frostbite…nice.

#4 10 months ago
  5. jomac3db

Would look even better if it was next gen

#5 10 months ago
  6. fearmonkey

wow! Looks very impressive!

#6 10 months ago
  7. CPC_RedDawn

Honestly, when do you guys think developers and publishers will stop support for 360 and PS3?

I mean, I understand why they are making versions of their games for the old systems as the install base is huge and will obviously lead to more sales.

But honestly, this never happened with PS2, Xbox, and GC. Only really PS2 did companies still release games for but that was mainly sports and kids games.

Personally I think releasing games on different systems like this makes perfect business sense but overall it hurts the game. Look at Thief, the game looks great in parts and completely terrible in others even on PC at max settings and it does not use more than 3 CPU threads this is obviously due to the older consoles.

I seriously can not wait to see the back of last gen, it has over stayed its welcome beyond anything!

#7 10 months ago
  8. Michael Ireland

@CPC_RedDawn No, this most definitely did happen with the shift in hardware last generation, and existed during the shift before that as well.

Companies are not going to just drop existing hardware when they already have an established userbase. It doesn’t make logical business sense to ditch them.

Expect constant “Definitive Editions” and multiplatform titles for most games until the end of 2015 at the earliest. Half these games started development before we even knew the new hardware existed.

#8 10 months ago
  9. ij 44

@CPC_RedDawn

It was just the same last time (except Xbox and Gamecube were dead in the water before the end of the generation so only PS2 got cross-gen support)

eg xbox 360 out in Dec 2005, PS3 a year layer, but major stuff kept support until : 2007 COD4 ; 2007 GRAW:AW2 ; GTA4 2008 ; Gran Tourismo 2007 ; MGS4 2008 ; Final Fantasy 2009 ; Medal of Honor (remember that?) was PS2 upto around 2007. God of War II was PS2 only in 2007, and PS3 didn’t get a version until 2010.

Madden was PS2 until 2012, PES and FIFA still get PS2 versions in 2014!

I’d give it a year, or two.

#9 10 months ago
  10. deathm00n

I’m going to play the duchebag in this one and say that the textures aren’t impressive. The weather and lights effects make up for it, but the textures really let me down. Some rocks looks like those from Skyrim.

Who am I kidding, if the game is good, I don’t care!

#10 10 months ago
  11. BeenThere_DoneThat

Graphics are disappointing !

#11 10 months ago
  12. TheWulf

It looks very pretty, I’ll agree to that. I’m sad though that it also looks pretty generic. When will Western fantasy feel it can cast off its bonds and stop being so beholden to Tolkien? Japanese fantasy has this problem, too, in that it feels like it has to be beholden to otakus as Gaijin Goombah explained in one of his recent Youtube videos.

There’s a certain fear of having any personality at all. A hatred of novelty. Why are games like Morrowind and Mask of the Betrayer the rare and singular exceptions rather than the rule? Why is this genre so unable to escape its regional roots? It’s always so cloyingly attached to those certain regions of Europe it never leaves.

There are so many places in the world from which to draw inspiration.

You could have a game based upon the aboriginal dreamtime beliefs, as just one example I picked out of my head. Why not look at Mexican culture for ideas and aesthetics? And speaking of that, how about something a little more Mesoamerican? I understand that human nature is xenophboia in general, but can we at least set that aside enough to visit other places on earth? Please?

I’m just sick of it.

Here are trees.

Here is a river.

Here is a sunset.

Here is an epic panorama.

Here is a castle/fortress.

Here are some typically dressed caucasian (always caucasian) knights.

Here’s a lumbering, ugly beast.

Here’s a dragon being one-dimensionally evil.

Ad nauseum. It never ends. I mean, even with Elder Scrolls, it’s become this. Ever since Morrowind, there’s that whole European/caucasian attachment that can’t be shaken. I understand that people are boring enough to be squicked by non-human stuff, but why can’t we even go to the Redguard lands? I want to go there! Can we go there?

No, we can’t.

And this phenomenon is becoming more entrenched. It’s veering ever more and more towards this. I’m beginning to wonder whether fantasy, itself, is meant for right wing extremists who tend to be racist and misogynistic. Like, hey, this is what UKIP reads and plays.

I’m really, really sorry. I don’t mean to offend anyone, even though people are going to take offence and insult me, even call me a bloody narcissist for speaking out for ethnic equality (but what can you do?), but I can’t help but take umbrage at it all. It feels racist and misogynist. It feels exclusive. It feels insular.

It feels like it’s meant for old fashioned men who like their women scantily clad and slutty, and their people white and pretty in general. And everything that isn’t is ugly and evil. It just seems like such an analogue for racism in general. And I’m not cool with that. I mean… in that trailer, I didn’t see a single damn guard that wasn’t caucasian. I looked.

Gaider needs to pay attention to social equality in more relevant ways. Sure, he’s pro-gay, and as someone who swings that way I actually appreciate that. But he’s not taking into account anything else.

It’s almost bloody crypto-fascist. I’m really starting to equate fantasy with ‘crypto-fascist wet dream.’ It’s ridiculous that it’s come to this.

And this is why I’m irritated that people hate creativity and novelty so much, clinging to the familiar instead. That’s one element of human nature that’s actively bad — it’s a cancer in and of itself.

Oh for something that isn’t painfully generic. Something that isn’t the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over…

#witness the raw power of the white man as he triumphs over all of the ugly not white abominations set against all of these pictures of nature which are also a subconscious allegory for raw power and no this isn’t a wet dream at all how dare you suggest that

#12 10 months ago
  13. TheWulf

You know, I have to take from this that people have really frickin’ boring male power fantasies. I mean, my goodness, talk about just going with the same generic male power fantasy everyone else has.

This reeeeeally irritates me. I miss intelligent, cultural, interesting, novel fantasy damn it!

#13 10 months ago
  14. Hcw87

Oh man. Sucks to be you i guess.

It must really suck to have such hatred towards pretty much every game coming out. I’m so glad i can actually enjoy playing these games, without picking them apart finding negativity all the time.

But hey, if that makes you happy, go right ahead. Just don’t expect a bunch of people to agree with you.

#14 10 months ago
  15. jomac3db

@CPC_RedDawn I agree with u on that. Ubisoft realized they should’ve made ac4 next gen only so word is that ac5 will be next gen only. Just like arkham knight is only pc, ps4 and Xbox one. I think that’s smart because it forces propel to buy next gen

#15 10 months ago
  16. Agt_Pendergast

I want to see the cloth technology. Cause that’s what’s most important to me in games. How well does the characters outfits flap in the wind?

#16 10 months ago
  17. Rafa_L

I thought I wouldn’t forgive the franchise after the second game, to me it was atrocious, but this is looking good. Hope it will be as imersive as origins.

#17 10 months ago
  18. infernalism

@Hcw87
    Oh don’t worry. He doesn’t require anyone actually agreeing with him, he just KNOWS he is right, and everyone else is wrong. That’s good enough for him and it makes him create those walls of text even with virtually everyone skipping them after a paragraph of his smug self-righteusness.

That being said, I still think CDPR will eat BioWare alive in terms of maturity in storyline. No competition. TW3 is also not a cross-gen game, and…DA:I is not an open world title, which makes it easier, to make it look prettier…which it doesn’t, because it’s a cross-gen title.

The Witcher’s competition will come from Bethesda some years down the road (Cyberpunk 2077 might even come sooner than the next Fallout and Elder Scrolls though), or from another Dragon Age game, because Inquisition doesn’t look up to the challange at all.

It can still be a pretty good game mind you, but I’ll be damned if I expect one from an EA owned development studio. ;]

#18 10 months ago
  19. KarmaG

@CPC_RedDawn I agree. It’s annoying that they’re calling this a next gen game when it was clearly developed for/on previous gen. That means it’ll have serious limitations that true next gen games won’t have.

#19 9 months ago