Godus monetisation model “hasn’t existed before,” claims Molyneux

Tuesday, 18th February 2014 12:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Godus creator Peter Molyneux has claimed that his strategy god sim features a monetisation model that “hasn’t existed before.”

20130918_godus

Speaking with PocketGamer, the 22 Cans founder said that the mysterious new monetisation model will be as, “fresh and as new and as different from anything you’ve ever seen in any game,” and added, “You’ve got to be subtle about it and slowly layer in those mechanics. The point we introduce monetisation depends on the player, and the game maker has to get you into the right mindset.”

Molyneux’s keen to avoid ramming payments down your gullet from the word go however as he want to, “tempt people to think about being proud about investing. Before we even talk about monetisation, we want players to feel like Godus is a hobby (not just a game).”

When asked if he felt people will pay for additional Godus content at all, Molyneux replied, “Yeah, I’m worried about that, but those risks are worth taking. We could layer in ‘it takes six days to build this house’, and maybe we’d make a shitload of money, but that’s not my ambition for games. There has to be a better way.”

That’s good advice, Dungeon Keeper.

What form do you think the Godus monetisation model will take? Let us know below.

Via Polygon.

1. freedoms_stain

I have heard nothing positive about this game. Soooooooo, just selling it would be a pretty big ask atm.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Joe Musashi

If the game’s currency is broken promises, Molyneux won’t need to monetise it.

JM

#2 8 months ago
  3. TheWulf

Well, not only the above, but I also feel that this is patently false?

I’ve experienced a lot of the mobile scene, including a lot of what I feel is predatory behaviour, designed to take advantage of weak willed people and children. Godus isn’t any different to those build a park/town games, where you can obtain currency to speed things up. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that it’s exactly the same.

If this proves anything to me, it’s that Petey wasn’t the font of creativity at Bullfrog and Lionhead that he claimed to be. I think there were a couple of unknowns toiling in obscurity and providing him with all of his good ideas. I hope that they strike out on their own and form a new studio, I’d love to see what they could do, unchained by Microsoft’s desire for endless sequels.

I just don’t have any respect for Pete, any more. He’s proved that he was never anything more than a figurehead. I’d like to meet the person/people behind his creativity, though, very much.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

The fact that it even has one is the problem.

#4 7 months ago
  5. schnide

All four comments above me are sensible and I agree with every single one. I think it best I go and have a lay down.

#5 7 months ago
  6. DarkElfa

I own the game, I’ve played it, it needs serious help.

#6 7 months ago