Xbox One lower digital pricing being tested with Ryse sale

Monday, 17th February 2014 22:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft is “testing” the concept of lower digital pricing for Xbox One.

ryse_son_of_rome

“Lot of people asked for better deals on our digital marketplace, so we’re testing some,” Xbox studio manager Mike Ybarra said on Twitter.

The first test is a sale on Ryse: Son of Rome, which is going for $40/£35.

“That’s far better than the used price at GameStop and others. Go digital,” Ybarra added.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo fans have all long requested lower digital pricing when compared to retail, but most platform holders have been resistant to this shift, and Microsoft has been under particular scrutiny since the Xbox One’s launch, possibly due to its unpopular microtransactions in premium titles. Some3 publishers have embraced the concept of tiered pricing, with slightly lower prices on digital storefronts, but the policy is certainly not widespread.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. SlayerGT

Wouldn’t it make more sense or provide more valuable data to do this with a game that actually sells? Seems to me like a, “hey, GameStop doesn’t want to order anymore copies, let’s discount the digital version and claim to be “testing” cheap digital sales to have a reason to tweet about our game that’s underperforming.” Do this with TitanFall and show us just what size your balls are..

#1 7 months ago
  2. Djoenz

Bravo Microsoft. Take note Sony!

#2 7 months ago
  3. Djoenz

lol @ SlayerGT
    A cheaper Digital version of Titanfall on PC Xbox360 and XboxOne would be mindblowing indeed haha !

#3 7 months ago
  4. lexph3re

I think Sony already took note with ps3. Also they had some pretty good flash sales on PS4 no more then a few weeks ago with Injustice Gods amoung us PS4 for 40 and AC4 for 45 I think?

On Ps3 they had Crysis 3 for 5 bucks along with Tales of xilla for 10. I think Sony got the picture on what people want.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Djoenz

@Lex
    Sorry Im in europe. We get shafted here. PSN prices are ridiculous.
    Some triple A titles are still 60 and some even 70 bucks. Thats ten bucks more expensive than in retail.

Digital prices should be scaled accordingly imo.

I admit that I have bought a lot of digital titles but I’m against an all digital future unless they severely adjust prices and HDD sizes.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Panthro

@lexph3re

AC4 for 45!? Wow that is such a bargain hahaha naaaaht.

Like Djoenz said, once they lower actually new titles which have a potential to make a lot of sales initially I will be impressed… So far all I have seen with MS is squeezing the most out of there customers that they can without giving anything decent back.

Thats the good thing about a closed system, they can charge whatever they like and no customers can actually complain since they always knowingly buy into it.

#6 7 months ago
  7. fengato

If they were assessing the concept it should be across the board. Looks like a sale on Ryse to me.

#7 7 months ago
  8. TheWulf

They’re really being conservative with this, aren’t they?

Hey, maybe we should try that thing that Steam has been doing to make ridiculous sums of money for the last decade. Yeah. We’ll do a digital sale, but… get this! Instead of 66% of, we’ll have it at… 16% off! I’m a genius!

I could just imagine some suit-encrusted exec pretty much saying just that. And that’s why they’re not Valve, and that’s why I own a PC. The gatekeepers can make you pay whatever they like, and if they make things just a tiny bit cheaper, it seems like a blessing from on high.

Honestly, a year’s worth of sales on Steam pays the difference between a console and a good PC a number of times over.

#8 7 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Agreed, it’s a very good thing for them. I’m beginning to wonder if consoles are just a tax on those who’re bad at math. You can get a reasonably priced PC and hook it up to your TV, then you can take advantage of Steam sales for the rest of that machine’s life.

But consoles will sell, just as lottery tickets will sell.

#9 7 months ago
  10. bobnice

@TheWulf please post the specs of this so called reasonably priced pc and then post its price, hopefully this PC is under $500 or $400, then let’s look at those specs to see if it could run games just as high quality as Ryse Killzone Forza 5 and Infamous Second Son do on the next gen consoles.

#10 7 months ago
  11. thesnowman

Am I the only one who enjoyed Ryse. The gameplay was fairly enjoyable for what it was, and story was suprisingly decent. I hope this a proper test, and not a code word for sale, I think MS could get some major props if they do digital pricing correctly.

#11 7 months ago
  12. Doppleganger

No, you aren’t the only one. I did two play throughs and still love the game!
    Multiplayer is boring but the campaign was amazing.

#12 7 months ago
  13. dkpunk

@11 Definitely not. I thought it was a great game. Easily 7/10.

#13 7 months ago
  14. Llewelyn_MT

@bobnice: Please, name a console, hopefully below $400. You’re not the sharpest tool in the shed…

TheWulf just pointed out that digital PC titles are really cheap, meaning you can get a $800 to $1000 gaming PC and still pay much less for your gaming needs over the lifetime of your machine. You don’t need a doctorate in math to figure that out, really.

#14 7 months ago
  15. pukem0n

that sounds awesome!

how much is GTA V on PC?
    i’ll buy me a PC right now for 1000$ just for that :)

#15 7 months ago
  16. Llewelyn_MT

@pukem0n: It’s $50 this year or $30 with all DLC next year. Complete, with 4k resolution.

BTW, you realize the number of PC exclusive games is greater by the order of magnitude than the number of all console exclusives ever released combined? I guess not.

If you can’t live without overpriced console exclusives, get a console. For anything else, a PC is a better choice.

#16 7 months ago
  17. Kreion

@Llewelyn_MT
    The difference between PC and Console exclusives is that there are far more budget and just straight up bad exclusives for PC becasue it’s got so many different content creators. I’m not saying that all console exclusives are good – but the are more likely to be so than a PC exclusive. Of course it depends on what genre and I’d never claim to know all of the PC exclusives haha.

Though do kindly shut the fuck up about GTA V since you’re talking bullshit. There’s been no confirmation from the developer as of this date. Even when it does come out it WON’T be 4k.

#17 7 months ago
  18. Llewelyn_MT

@Kreion: If there is no confirmation, how exactly do you know it won’t be 4k? ;-) GTA4 on PC sold like hot cakes. There is absolutely no reason it won’t be released on PC.

#18 7 months ago
  19. Djoenz

@Kreion
    That was a sarcastic remark he said about GTAV..damn you are not only retarded you are also a potty mouth.

#19 7 months ago
  20. narukamiyu1000

Elder Scrolls Online is leaked and available to public now… Grab yourself a copy now from this site because I’m pretty sure this website will be taken down very soon! http://elderscrollsonlinedownload.com

#20 7 months ago