Titanfall 360 delay is about managing higher preorders, not polishing game

Friday, 7th February 2014 10:46 GMT By Matt Martin

Pre-orders are likely over 3.5 million for Titanfall, meaning EA can afford to hold back the 360 build of mech shooter and still meet sales targets.

titanfall 012814

When Electronic Arts said last night it would delay the release of Titanfall on the Xbox 360 for two weeks until March 25th, it claimed the time would be used to polish the experience for players.

But it’s more likely that the publisher can afford to delay the game because preorders are so high, letting the company hit expected revenue targets for the financial year ending March 31st with the Xbox One version – and kick off the following financial year with stellar sales of the Xbox 360 version.

According to analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan, the game could sell over 7 million copies in its first three months on shelves – the majority of which will be on the Xbox 360 due to a higher user base.

“We have modeled 3.5 million units of sell-in for the game in its release quarter, with the bulk of sales likely occurring on the Xbox 360 platform; we suspect that pre-order demand for the game is above this figure, and believe that EA expects to sell more than 7 million units overall in the game’s first three months following launch,” he wrote.

“We believe that by delaying the launch of the Xbox 360 version until several days before quarter end, EA can manage its sell-in of units to around 3.5 million, and still largely satisfy demand. This will allow EA to sell sufficient units to hit its Q4 revenue and earnings guidance, and ensure that its FY:15 starts on solid footing.”

The Xbox One version of Titanfall is due for release on March 11.

1. tezzer1985

I’m sorry, I’m look forward to Titanfall, but I find it hard to believe it will sell 7m that quick, if it does I take my hat off to respawn & EA

#1 7 months ago
  2. fengato

Growing tired EA’s cynical treatment of this new franchise. Silly exclusive deals (scrapping considerable work on other platforms) and now delaying one platform to boost financial reports. I bet this is not how Vince imagined it would be when they were leaving Acti.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

Wait a second is the demand really that great on Xbox360 compared to Xbox One/PC version? This is why i said others should not be so quick to dismiss other platforms Titanfall is launching on namely 360 and PC in regards to the claimed Xbox One exclusive. This is why i had doubts about Titanfall being a system seller for Xbox One because its also available on other platforms.

Okay so 2 million on 360, 1 million on Xbox One and 0.500K on PC or perhaps something like that. But 7 million in the first three months? Thats possible in that time period, maybe. Thats above 2 mllion not picking it up on Xbox One at launch.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

@Legendaryboss Edit: Estimate wise i should add.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Fin

@fengato

“scrapping considerable work on other platforms” {{citation needed}}

#5 7 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@2 Pure speculation. No facts.

#6 7 months ago
  7. fengato

@5&6 Yes, speculation. Nonetheless Joel Emslie stated that they ended up going with Source in order to run the code on PS3. Having Bluepoint do the work (PS3 specialists who have done very little with the 360) is also of note. Can’t prove how much work, though the very strategic planning of the project was aimed at making the game multi-platform. The delay in locking down the MS deal until fairly recently would also indicate that Bluepoint weren’t simply sitting on their hands during the bulk of the dev time.

I want this game to prosper – EA’s handling of the whole thing has arguably undermined it.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Cobra951

If true, it’s one more reason to never preorder. I thought not having a clue about the quality of a new game until it actually releases was enough of a good reason. These things are dropped on us unfinished as a matter of course now. But giant distributors delaying releases to use preorders as unearned money in the bank would sure make waiting to buy new games even smarter.

@6: What’s speculation, what fengato posted, or what you posted?

Note: Once again, I had to deal with the exasperating login code here. The “Account” button at the top right thinks I’m logged in, but the messaging system thinks I’m not. I try to post, it tells me I need to log in. So I click on “Account” (it claims I’m logged in as Cobra951) and click on “Log Out”. That refreshes the page. When I click on “Account” again, it still thinks I’m logged in, and I still can’t post. At this point, my only recourse is to close the tab, bring up History, and tell Firefox to forget about this site (which clears the cookies). Then I need to open a new tab, manually type in your website adr, and log in (finally). Now I can post.

I know how to deal with such problems, but does everyone else registered here also know? And would they jump through all these hoops, or just move on to another gaming site? I know I’m getting tired of it.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Legendaryboss

@Cobra951 Its affected a few members, myself included. Pat said he was looking it. All this hassle made me create an alt account which is easier to log into than my main one.

#9 7 months ago