Xbox multimedia exec leaves Microsoft over company’s new direction

Thursday, 16th January 2014 09:37 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft’s VP of Microsoft’s Media and Entertainment Group Blair Westlake has resigned after ten years at the company, citing changes in the firm’s direction.

Variety reports that Westlake’s expertise and new direction have become incompatible. In a statement issued last night, he explained, “It has become clear to me that the organization is moving in a direction that does not fit either my expertise or my skill sets.

“Over the last few months Microsoft has been undergoing a large-scale reorganization. During that period, I have had the privilege of working with numerous talented and professional people. While I will miss their company and our interaction, I truly believe that this move is in the best interest of all parties concerned.

“I want to thank my talented and committed team, as well as Yusuf Mehdi, Robbie Bach, Will Poole and Hank Vigil, all of whom had a significant and positive impact on me during my tenure at Microsoft.”

Microsoft has steered the Xbox brand towards media and entertainment. Westlake’s resignation comes over a year after the firm hired CBS president Nancy Tellem to oversee its digital entertainment arm.

What’s your take on Microsoft’s new direction? Let us know below.

Via GI.biz.

1. Delsin Row

wise thing to do.leave this bullshit company man.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Tormenter

So what are his expertise and skill set?

#2 3 months ago
  3. Major Mayhem 70

If it don’t fit, it don’t fit. Sometimes the writing is on the wall, and if you don’t see it, someone else will be glad to show you. I get the feeling his departure was inevitable.

#3 3 months ago
  4. DeVitowned

At least Microsoft is adapting to the climate. Any company, big or small, can’t survive unless it constantly overhauls to suit its needs. Sucks to lose a cushy job, but a person of his credentials shouldn’t have too much difficulty finding a new home.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Gheritt White

Former Universal television chairman, eh? Hmmm… I wonder if the rumours of potential new CEO Stephen Elop having MS spin off the Xbox division as a wholly-owned independent subsidiary under are true.

#5 3 months ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

Microsoft’s current direction?…I don’t think they have one! And, if they do, the Home and Entertainment Division are not the ones steering. They’re playing the same strategy as supermarkets do/did – loss leading. They have a poor international service, and have yet to supplement their comparatively lacking international offering in acknowledgement. Microsoft sell OS. (AND, media licensing/ADSPACE – just ask all their “friends” onstage.)
    Sometimes, you can run games on their “one” box, too. What they are not, is consumer focused. Haven’t been for at least several years.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Cobra951

Any corporate pro who sees the writing on the wall has to come up with a similar cover story. It means nothing at all, beyond “I’m not getting along well here, and I have to jump ship before I’m thrown off of it”.

#7 3 months ago
  8. Ilovesony

@5 Now thats a interesting point…

#8 3 months ago