Steam Machines to be “as open as possible,” EA’s Origin on it would be “fine,” says Newell

Thursday, 16th January 2014 20:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Those wondering just how open Steam Machines will be, need wonder no more per this nifty quote from Valve founder Gabe Newell on Reddit: “We’re trying to make it as open as possible. If EA wants to put Origin on it, that would be fine, etc… (trying to pick an example of something that people think we would prohibit).” Back in 2011, Valve and EA fell out a bit after Steam’s terms and conditions were changed, and the firm responded by pulling quite a few of its titles. Thanks, GI International.

1. Chewy

“Those wondering just open Steam Machines will be” I think you forgot the “how” between just and open. :D

At least this is pretty good news in my book!

#1 11 months ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 yeah, I get all flustered when I change things 5/6 times and it just goes straight to hell :p

#2 11 months ago
  3. Xbone

This is the reason Gabe is a God!

#3 11 months ago
  4. Tormenter

Hang on… He wants us to change OS but he’s trying to saddle us the same fucking bloatware that they’ve been forcing on us so far?

For a lot of people the move would be BECAUSE we want away from that shit, we don’t want it following us like a bad smell.

Fuck this shit, the ‘clean’ break’ is sounding muddier every day.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

@4: I don’t think so man, I think he’s just saying that if you want to, you can do whatever the fuck you want. Obviously you don’t need to though, nor would you want to I guess…

#5 11 months ago
  6. Tormenter

@5 it’s the fact that it’s being allowed on it, at all, I don’t like.

Linux will just end up like windows now, with every game requiring a publishers client. even Steam’ll endup selling games that you have to install another client for (i.e Origin).

The only bright spot is that there are some very smart people out there who probably feel the same way I do, so before too long all that bullshit is gonna be ripped out. I’ll pay for the games, but I’ll used cracked versions to avoid all the other shit involved.

If I do use SteamOS I’ll be damned sure I won’t let it turn it the same piece of bloated crap windows is… otherwise what would be the point in changing.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Llewelyn_MT

@6: “Will end up selling games that you have to install another client”? That’s a good one. As we speak, virtually all Ubisoft games on Steam require Uplay, while some other games require the accursed GfWL.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Tormenter

I meant on Linux.. However you’ve just demonstrated that nothing is going
    to change it will be the same situation on Linux as windows, I don’t see the reason for derision in your post, especially as it does nothing but back mine up…

#8 11 months ago
  9. ManuOtaku

The day that steam is so open to let me have all the games purchased on their service on my hard drive i will consider to join them, untill then i rather pass on steam.

#9 11 months ago
  10. MrWaffles

Steam OS is just a linux install without a desktop. If you wanted to access its files, you could install kde/gnome and take a look, or simply go via console.

Is it bloated? Just as bloated as the current steam experience, unless you want to install your own crapware :)

#10 11 months ago