DayZ standalone alpha sold 172,500 copies in 24 hours

Tuesday, 17th December 2013 22:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DayZ may only be in alpha, but the standalone version of the game has already totted up some fantastic sales figures.

The standalone adaptation of the popular mod made 172,500 sales in the 24 hours since Day Z launched on Steam Early Access.

The stats come via Bohemia CEO Maruk Spanel’s blog on his blog.

At time of posting, the alpha had attracted a whopping 142,403 concurrent players.

Within one hour of launch, 19,000 players had joined the DayZ alpha, with the number increasing by about 200 per second, creator Dean Hall revealed on Twitter.

In its first 12 hours, DayZ managed 88,000 sales, Spanel said, also on Twitter.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. YoungZer0

So … anyone tried it yet?

#1 7 months ago
  2. manamana

Go, Rocket! Go!!!

#2 7 months ago
  3. Nephilimator

@1 Yup its dayz without hacking but buggy enough where you randomly die instead of being killed by hackers.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Hcw87

This is overhype at its finest. If this was a new unknown game, everyone would stay the fuck away from it at its current state. Bugs galore.

Yes i know it’s Alpha, so why pay 20£ for it? After watching a few streams, it looks _DIRE_. Only the survival aspect seems interesting, but the only real danger is the other players since the actual zombies doesn’t seem to be doing anything atm.

Looks like it’s atleast a year away from being in a worthy beta state.

#4 7 months ago
  5. manamana

Yes, it’s Alpha. Says it all. Although I wouldn’t say it’s overhyped because it has it’s fanbase. If you don’t like the charm of a ‘real world’ simulator combined with Zombies, okay. I for one like the better graphics and UI. Also the fact that you finally can enter houses and search there for loot.

But yeah, for modern standards it’s artrocious. If only ‘Dying. Light’ would be anything like this …

#5 7 months ago
  6. andreaaragon77

you make 76 bucks per hour that great going girl good for you! My story is that I quit working at Shoprite to work online, seriously I couldn’t be happier I work when I want and where I want. And with a little effort I easily bring in $35h and sometimes even as much as 85 euro/hr… heres a good example of what i’m doing, http://goo.gl/j869zd

#6 7 months ago
  7. runbmp

Yeah I’m enjoying this standalone version much more. I can only speak for myself but its been rather stable and smooth.

Still a lot of features i’m looking forward too seeing implemented but having a blast meeting new players in game.

I find a lot of buildings are accessible now, and love the new items that you can interact with.

I mean if you played War Z ( now renamed to Infestation: Survivor Stories ), the standalone Dayz is a much better game by a long shot.

#7 7 months ago
  8. silkvg247

I thought it got renamed?

#8 7 months ago
  9. YoungZer0

@8: Wrong game. You mean ‘War Z’, which is now called ‘Infestation: Survivor Stories’.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@8 Wasn’t that The War Z?

Eh, they all kind of blend together after a while.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Dragon

I like Goku and Gohan, their fighting styles are so different.

DBZ games are great!

Wait, wrong thread.

*leaves*

#11 7 months ago
  12. boothegreat

Been playing it a lot. Sure it’s alpha, it’s buggy, but it brought me back to when i played the normal mod. Those days me and my friends tried to meet up and head north. This was all that plus some. Much more enterable buildings and a great inventory system makes me enjoy being apart of this early release.

#12 7 months ago
  13. figtreepocke

Is it a one time payment?

Or will we need to pay for the actual game…

#13 7 months ago