Steambox gets unboxing, teardown videos

Monday, 16th December 2013 15:12 GMT By Sherif Saed

Valve has has already started shipping Steambox prototypes to beta testers in the US last week, and one user’s gotten his hands on one and made an unboxing video, and another video showing all the guts of the machine.

The clips come courtesy of YouTuber Corey Nelson.

The first video show the cool box of the Steambox alongside everything else that comes packaged with it, such as HDMI and power cables. The second video shows the Steambox being torn down to bits and showing you all the components that make it up.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. Erthazus

and a bit of SteamOS with Left4Dead 2 DEMO with steam controller.

The system itself is very powerfull. Current gen Xbox One and PS4 pale in comparison and it’s just a BETA version of Steam OS hardware.

and fact is that for games that require aiming it is much better then Xbox or Playstation controller. That’s for sure. It will be interesting if Valve one day will do Dota2 for a system. If it will work then it’s awesome.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Gekidami

Wow, the guy in that video not only seems to to have difficulty making big turns to the left and right, but he also has trouble fine aiming. Yeah, that pad sure is super /rolleyes.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Erthazus

^ He just used it’s controller for the first time so you can cry on your playstation.blog’s as much as you want. The truth is that you can Aim with it faster then with any controller.

#3 10 months ago
  4. DrDamn

@Erth
    FACT!

#4 10 months ago
  5. Hcw87

I’m very curious how they will handle the cooling properly inside these tight cases. The fact it has the PSU inside like PS4 also doesn’t bode well. The PS4 feels quite hot after a few hours of gaming.

It will require liquid cooling for high end hardware for sure.

#5 10 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

My Super Clocked GTX 780 (looks like the same card is in this machine) runs whisper quiet and gives off hardly any heat whatsoever, quite outstanding really, even when under heavy load.

Saying that, my case is much bigger. I take it this card isn’t watercooled? It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on with it.

#6 10 months ago
  7. rrw

“The truth is that you can Aim with it faster then with any controller.”

Based on?

Really I just cannot see how swiping motion is more accurate than push an analogous stick

#7 10 months ago
  8. Hcw87

Turning around in FPS games is going to be painful to say the least. Could be good for fine-aiming, but it’s not good enough for overall movement in FPS games. I don’t see this controller being used much at all for these kind of games.

Maybe RTS games and that’s it.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Erthazus

“Turning around in FPS games is going to be painful to say the least.”

No. It won’t. you just need to adjust the sensitivity for your preference.

With this controller with max sens with single swipe you can probably turn around in 360.

#9 10 months ago
  10. manamana

@8 I take it you haven’t tried it yet? Pissing on Valve’s parade must be delightful for an Xbot …

#10 10 months ago
  11. CyberMarco

@Erthazus, weren’t you the one who said that mouse and k/b are miles better than controllers, but suddenly the new Steam controller is the next best thing since sliced bread.

You’ve reached a new level of hypocrisy.

#11 10 months ago
  12. undermyrules

@CyberMarco he just said it is better than any controler and by that he means xbox360 and ps3 controler….so try use your reading and understanding skills at least.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Panthro

This is a new ‘type’ of controller though.

In terms of controllers in general the Steam controller seems a lot different to whats on offer elsewhere and with them uploading that video demonstrating how it works I am quite hyped for it while otherwise I wouldn’t even bother.

I haven’t even tried using my 360 controller for any FPS games on PC yet, its pointless because even on console they feel clunky as hell and without the auto aim it would be practically useless, I was quite impress how the guy in the video handled Counter Strike with it.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Hcw87

When you increase sensitivity that much it’ll be that much harder to microaim. Again, this will NOT be anywhere near as good as using a mouse, and i actually think it’ll be worse than using a controller.

Who are you? Some internet random i’ve upset in the past?

#14 10 months ago
  15. CyberMarco

@12 I wasn’t referring to his 1st post, but to his past statements regarding controllers vs m/kb.

Also, we can question Hcw87′s post regarding the controller, but not Erth’s? lol

#15 10 months ago
  16. Gekidami

“with them uploading that video demonstrating how it works I am quite hyped for it”

You mean THIS video? Yeah, like i already said back then:
    “Slide thumb to one of the sides, stop, lift thumb up, recenter thumb, start sliding again.”

It looks tiresome and tedious to use, and Hcw87 is right; up the sensitivity, lose the precision.

This pad looks bad for anything other than RTS’, if even that.

#16 10 months ago
  17. manamana

#14 upset? No. Internet random? Yes. Just like you, Xbot.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Erthazus

@CyberMarco, are you high or what? I see. You enjoy this pissing contest so let me entertain you a bit. Yes, M+k is superior but new Steam Controller is an interesting idea for consoles.

Valve proves that it can do a controller that is better at precision then Xbox or PS controllers because I also sometimes play on these consoles.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Hcw87

Why so angry? Did you lose your favorite pet or something? Your mum didn’t give you the tit today?

Nothing is proven yet, as the controller isn’t even out in public. May seem good until you actually try the thing. Turning around with it is still going to be awkward as hell compared to mouse+kb or a controller if you’re used to using that.

I give them a year at most until they come out with a controller with analog sticks.

#19 10 months ago
  20. Gekidami

^ What? I’m assuming you putting “16″ there was a mistake.

#20 10 months ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Just to give everyone a laugh, I play Battlefield 4, Chivalry and most games on my PC using a 360 controller! :D

I will switch to M & K eventually, but with the set up I’m using, the 360 pad is very comfortable. I’m not crazy competitive so it was never going to be a problem for me not coming top of the table (I never did on consoles, so it was going to be out of the question on PC! :) .

At first (in Battlefield 4 for example), i was get my ass handed to me big time. Literally, not managing 1 kill a match (crappy, starting gear didn’t help either). Because I use engineer class, I could still have fun taking on vehicles and going crazy with the rocket launcher, so it wasn’t all bad!

After a while, I’ve learnt the maps a bit more and have now got to the point where I can have a pretty good match and get a good few kills and take down the odd chopper or 2 with my rocket launcher, still all using the pad. It’s such a great looking and exciting game to play in multiplayer, I really haven’t felt like I’m missing out, gameplay wise.

All you need is a bit of practice!

This makes me look forward to the Valve controller even more, if it levels the play field even a little bit, I’m in and can’t wait to try the haptic feedback.

Anyway, that’s my experience, I’ve also played STALKER, Fallout 3, Skyrim, NFS, Starbound, Project Zomboid and more, all using the 360 pad, no problems! :)

#21 10 months ago
  22. manamana

@19 no, but your mums tits were okay, thanks.
    Back to topic: “Turning around in FPS games is going to be painful to say the least” – how do you know that?
    My question was: did you already tried it? No? Than, yes my young xbot – hush, lay down to sleep, its already dark outside.

#22 10 months ago
  23. manamana

@21 just what I’m doing. I find the 360 controller unmatched for consoles. Problem is fine aiming here and I would assume that the ‘owl’ would be better in that regard. We will see.

#23 10 months ago
  24. OneLifeCycle

I always thought fine-aiming could be done with another button on the underside of the controller where you’re middle fingers rest… You press one down and your aim speed is severely lowered which would be great for when you’re looking through your scope at a far away target… But what do I know?

#24 10 months ago
  25. sebastien rivas

I am not a believer of controllers.
    I am a KM user and loved Wiimote for its.. freedom.
    I try to remain open but I am skeptical that Haptic will be any better than analogous stick or else until I get my hand on for personal experience.

It s incredible how Valve crammed all hardware in this box. Gee the concept guy worked for Nasa or something?

Waiting impatiently for more info on Valve and around.
    How the OS is doing, how far it is completed. What are the hurdles, how do they want to commercialize this box. A lit of game in production and a list of games to be ported for Steam machine. How will steam app actually work and what it can do…
    So many unanswered questions :P

#25 10 months ago
  26. DrDamn

See the video in @16. Their own video shows that there are at least some concerns with turning. You can *see* that without having to use it. That is in their own demo video.

I think it’s something that will take some getting used to and a lot of people won’t give it a chance. With a bit of time and calibration to your own preferences it should have some distinct advantages, but I don’t think it’s going to be all gravy.

#26 10 months ago
  27. monkeygourmet

I think many people have overlooked the most important thing about Valve creating this controller:

‘Support for controllers in PC games across the board, going forward.’

This controllers mere existance means PC devs will generally have to add some support for this pad (or others) to give people even more options. That can only be a good thing IMO.

Keyboard & Mouse is great, but I love using a controller for many games, and anything that means I don’t have to load up Xpadder first is a huge bonus.

Even if this controller isn’t perfect for the individual, the fact you can plug ANY pad into a PC is a huge bonus, so its a win/win in my view! :)

#27 10 months ago