Microsoft Studios job ad hints at new game for Windows 8, title is part of a “beloved franchise”

Monday, 16th December 2013 16:08 GMT By Sherif Saed

Microsoft Studios is working on a game to be released on Windows 8, and it’s said to be part of a “beloved franchise” according to this job ad posted on the studio website.

The job ad asks for a senior software development engineer.

The post goes on to say that the team is working on a “robust and highly scalable cloud service that is central to the game experience”, so this could give us a hint as to what it is they’re working on.

Recently, Microsoft’s Phil Spencer has promised core first-party games from the firm on PC.

Could this be an old, forgotten PC franchise, or is Microsoft bringing a console game to PC? Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Sherif Saed

£10 says this is an online-only RTS.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Panthro

No thanks MS, your new games have sucked ass for a long while now.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Erthazus

F. it.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

Well thats the spirit everyone!

#4 9 months ago
  5. Erthazus

Because it is Microsoft and Windows 8. No one cares.

they will make some Age Of Empires: Microtransactions edition that no one will care about and after 1 year they will close the game.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Legendaryboss

LOL :P

#6 9 months ago
  7. Panthro

Good for the guys who love all the Microsoft games but my opinion on the matter still stands.

First party MS games have been bland and unoriginal for years, if they bring something new to the PC great! but going off there long track record I am 99% certain they will bring nothing but already done content that wont be worth my money.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Gheritt White

Blinx 3!!!

#8 9 months ago
  9. Joe Anderson

Fable MMO

#9 9 months ago
  10. m2stech

Black and white 3…make it happen and I may consider installing the crap that is win8

#10 9 months ago
  11. Panthro

Hahaha oh my god I forgot about the time sweeper… Such a good game.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Hunam

Why do they hate Windows 7 so much? Everyone else fucking loves it!

#12 9 months ago
  13. Erthazus

Because they don’t sell Windows 7 anymore. Their primary goal is Windows 8.

#13 9 months ago
  14. smoke.tetsu

It’s probably going to be the long awaited and anticipated sequel to Micsrosoft Bob starring Clippy and that one yellow dog. :P

#14 9 months ago
  15. DBGT

If not Gears of War or Halo then its not worth to upgrade to Win8

#15 9 months ago
  16. DreamCleaver

I get the feeling most PC gamers still run the ol’ Windows 7 while Windows 8 is mostly donned by the newer laptops. I don’t see how they’re gonna make the game financially viable by making it a Windows 8 exclusive. Most people won’t switch to it anytime soon, unless it’s a very popular franchise, then we might notice a paradigm shift.

Interesting to see how this unfolds.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Panthro

Manufactured PC’s which you buy in PC world/Currys or wherever all will/ probably now have Win8 Pre-installed on every computer they sell…

Will those users really play games on them? nah.

By making it a Win8 exclusive your right, they are missing out on a massive chunk of potential profit.

Hopefully they realize that they are screwing over people who bought there last OS and make a plan to make there next games Win7 compatible to, I wont be in any rush to go to Win8 no matter what game it is.

#17 9 months ago
  18. CPC_RedDawn

Its going to be Age Of Empires, obviously.

Although it could just be a crappy port of Halo 3 or Halo 4 but I doubt Microsoft would even think that PC gamers would want those games in all their HD glory. The Xbox One will get those HD Release’s first.

#18 9 months ago
  19. CPC_RedDawn

They will miss out, but modders/hackers will find a way to make it playable on Windows 7. That is if it does NOT require 24-hour Online connection… which I think it will no matter what game it is. They tried to fob that off to the console gamers and they got burned and badly, however, if its going to work anywhere its on the PC.

Steam pretty much requires 24 hour online to be honest. If your not online on steam there is pretty much no point to it. I think Steam allows something stupid like 90-days for an account to offline before they block it and you have to get it reactivated but I don’t think its a lengthy process more like just an email confirmation/code.

#19 9 months ago
  20. CPC_RedDawn

Right, lets just clear something up.

Yes before I start I still do use W7 X64 Ultimate.

However, Windows 8 is not that bad. Sure it was a train wreck on release. But modders/hackers AND even Microsoft themselves made it better.

Classicshell, Start 8 are all good apps to use but by far StartIsBack is the best (www.StartIsBack.com) it fully integrates a start menu back into Windows 8 and 8.1 (a reinstall is required if you update from 8 to 8.1). ClassicShell and Start8 just install a process and service which runs in the background. StartIsBack is the way to go for now.

Microsoft made W8 better with 8.1 much better RAM usage, and MUCH better multicore support and resource monitoring. Battlefield 4 runs MUCH MUCH better on W8. Maybe this is Microsoft paying off EA under the table for some extra work being put into the OS. But the number don’t lie, on a separate parition of W8 I get nearly 5-8fps more than in W7! That may not sound like a lot but it allows me to run the game on Ultra 1080p and never dip below 60fps even on 64 player servers. W7 I have to turn down shadows and post processing to get a solid 60fps.

Also it is confirmed that Microsoft have finally given in and will put back in a FULL start menu to W8.2 :)

Safe to say I shall be fully upgrading to W8 (and updating to 8.1 and then 8.2) when I get my new CPU and Motherboard.

#20 9 months ago
  21. DreamCleaver

“Also it is confirmed that Microsoft have finally given in and will put back in a FULL start menu to W8.2″

It’s not been officially confirmed by MS. It’s only a rumor, coming from this guy’s “sources”:

#21 9 months ago
  22. Panthro

I’ve never had any problems using Steam offline?

#22 9 months ago
  23. Francis O

Banjo DLC adventures

Season one: $14.99

Season two : $19.99

DLC bear backpack: $7.99

DLC Kazooie: $29.99

$5 per a jump, $6 to unlock double jump

#23 9 months ago
  24. TheWulf

Windows 8 is exactly the same OS as 7, just missing features and with the worst desktop interface known to man.

This will be Windows 8 exclusive for about as long as you can leave a good Obsidian RPG left sat in front of me, unplayed. (Not bloody long.)

I think Microsoft are (once again) underestimating the ingenuity of their gamers. I remember when DirectX versions could only be run on certain versions of Windows, but people backported parts of them. Certain devices could only be used on certain versions of Windows, but the drivers were quickly cracked.

I don’t know why they feel they’ll be that much more successful this time, honestly. Unless… they’re using some kind of draconian always-online DRM. If they are, I’d like to see how many customers they get with that.

#24 9 months ago
  25. Phoenixblight

Again going for the superiority bs. There are no features taken out or stripped in fact there are more features added. You can make Windows 8 into Windows 7 with a little bit of tweaking and without any 3rd party software to do so. 5 seconds of researching you would find this out.

#25 9 months ago
  26. The_Red

I feel more frightened that which franchise is gonna be ruined by this rather than revived.

#26 9 months ago