The Elder Scrolls Online launches on PC and Mac in April 2014, PS4 and Xbox One in June

Wednesday, 11th December 2013 15:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Elder Scrolls Online will launch on PC and Mac worldwide on April 4, 2014 and will be released on PS4 and Xbox One in June. A new trailer is below. Titled “War in Cyrodiil” it highlights the MMORPG’s PvP system, which allows “hundreds of players to fight together and against one another,” in a quest to claim the Ruby Throne.

1. Legendaryboss

2104? Why the hell is it so far out? its launching alongside The Last Guardian at this rate, well most likely.

:P

#1 7 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

Elder Scrolls Online goes free to play in September 2014.

That’s the real news.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@1 It’s fixed. Be prepared for me being spaced out a bit today. I’m still not over the flu.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Pytox

lol this music was also in trailer for tintin movie few years ago :P

#4 7 months ago
  5. Xbone

I was pumped for this game 3-4 months back… then I started to hear about the microstransaction stuff and how it will work and I shat my pants. I have disappointed so many times… I just could not care about this game anymore.
    Also, look at the framerate on this video. I think it was running on an xbone /HIGH FIVE ANYONE? :)

#5 7 months ago
  6. jorooo

Its the 4th of april, not 14. Look at other websites ;)

#6 7 months ago
  7. Schwarzerwind

As a beta tester, I can say this game still needs a lot of work. Plus there’s still a critical lack of hype for ESO because Zenimax has been so tight-lipped about everything, and beta invites have been scarce. And now they’re going to launch in 5 months?

I’m worried this is going to be the next TOR.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Stephany Nunneley

@6 **** I’m going back to bed. See you guys later. (not really but I want to)

#8 7 months ago
  9. Arcnail

@2 Sounds about right.

@5 I read the microtransactions are just things like name changes and cosmetic things, so that doesn’t bug me too much.

Graphically this looks like crap though.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Xbone

@9 Yea… I think I heard this many times from other games too :(

#10 7 months ago
  11. FoureyesZero

Considering Guild wars 2 exist and is getting better all the time with great new content and no sub. The elder scrolls online will be in big trouble the moment in comes out because it will have to justify the sub you have to pay each month and it cant do that.

#11 7 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

I don’t know what anyone else was expecting, but I enjoyed the beta and I’m looking forward to playing the game. Is it just like a elder scrolls game? No, but it does have some of the feel and in first person is fairly close. I enjoyed the beta enough that I know I will buy it when it comes out.

I liked it better than Tor in the brief time I played it, and liked it better than any MMO I have played since Rift.

#12 7 months ago
  13. TheWulf

Not my thing, this. I think I’ve just fallen out of favour with typical grind-fantasy MMOs. Probably not their fault, it’s just me. I don’t fit in with that scene any more.

I will, however, be interested to see how they handle controls on the consoles.

I honestly think though that some of my lack of interest in this comes from how the Elder Scrolls Universe just isn’t a very interesting place. And when it is, they’re either afraid to use that or they make it more typical fantasy in order to appease those who have very basic, static, inflexible ideas of what fantasy is. (Lack of imagination, I guess??)

One of the most interesting areas (and I’m not being biased, you can read it for yourself) is Elsweyr and the khajiiti peoples. There are so many variants of khajiit according to the lore, and their birth and life-cycle is controlled by the moons. Their culture is Arabian-inspired (more interesting than most fantasy fare), and they were created by a daedra rather than an aedra.

Then another of the more interesting elements is the dwemer, something they hugely toned down to make them Tolkienesque in Skyrim. I remember that in Morrowind the dwemer were highly advanced and they had freaking robots. They weren’t just steam golems, they were straight-up robots with camera eyes and everything.

So, basically, they’re not using the more interesting elements, and they’re toning down and Westernising the remaining elements to make it consumable to the mainstream. (Who’re apparently thick, uncultured, and racist.)

I’m sorry I feel the way I do.

It’s just that they have some really interesting elements there, they could create something brilliant like Morrowind once again — but what do they do? They destroy Morrowind, out of spite and hatred. Mostly self-hatred, probably, for not being brave enough to embrace what makes the Elder Scrolls lore interesting.

I can’t help it, I’m just disappointed. There’s room for greatness in the Elder Scrolls, as Morrowind proved. But they’re just so intent on making it the most generic fantasy experience in existence that this’ll all be forgotten.

What’s the bets we’ll only ever see one kind of khajiit in Elsweyr? And what do you want to bet that the dwemer tech will be all Tolkienised in this, too?

It’s disappointing.

The Elder Scrolls is something where I wish I was at the helm of their design team. I’d get Obsidian involved for some proper writing, along with consequences for choices (choices are meaningless without proper consequence, as Skyrim liked to prove), so that people actually recognise you for what you are (hey, I’m the head of the Companions, but the guards still talk to me like I’m a servant boy), and so on.

I don’t mean to be angry at this IP, it’s just that it has the potential to be great. I hate seeing something being squandered.

#13 7 months ago
  14. monkeygourmet

What a barbaric and hate filled tirade.

#14 7 months ago
  15. dontbescaredhomie92

@5 I’ll skip on the high 5 thanks and tell you that you’re a sad lonely fanboy who clearly needs recognition to feel important in your otherwise mundane, pointless existence.
    Sure your mum still loves you, head up kid.

#15 7 months ago
  16. Os Money

@13 I love morrowind too, and feel like each game, while enjoyable,is a step back from what they already had in place. Just gimme a TES game built on the entire universe and able to play with in story with another person. That is all.

#16 7 months ago
  17. Phasmatis75

All the problems with this game can be summed up with the developer just not caring. The problem here is that it really identity issues and was made by developers that just don’t care for the franchise.

On one hand the game wants to take a chunk of the MMO market so it has too many features that make it feel like an MMO. Somewhere along the line, someone probably said, hey, no one is going to buy this we need the Elder Scrolls crowd. Except the game is more an abomination and has so many lore violations that the larger Elder Scrolls dedicated fanbase will probably just ignore it or consider it none canon.

It’s a pity, since if they just would have respected the lore (or the franchise) they probably could have made for a very good game.

#17 7 months ago
  18. Armitage Shanks

Will be my first experience with an MMO once i eventually pick up an Xbox one,looking forward to it.

#18 7 months ago
  19. thatguyoverthere

I logged in more than 200 hours on Skyrim and have put in significant time in MMO’s so I potentially could be a loyal Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) customer.

While I am excited about the world to explore one of the things I like about MMO’s is the sophisticated and complex combat. ESO with 5 hot keys is just not going to cut it. Even Skyrim has 9 hot keys with the ability to pause and use dozens more.

While I am not suggesting pausing a MMO, the five hot keys will make the combat more stale than the original elder scrolls games. The five hot keys is there to make it console ready, but people who are used to more sophisticated PC MMO combat systems will lose interest very quickly. Giving this game 10 to 12 hot keys would be easy on PC and would significantly increase the longevity of the game.

The combat will also make it nearly impossible to become that much more skilled than the average second grader. This will make pvp prowess more linked to what level you are and what gear you have on. 5 special moves at one time will make individual play style very limited if non existent.

As much as I am looking forward to the world that they will create I see myself putting in just enough time to explore. I predict the downfall of this game will be the mindless button smashing that will inevitably be pvp.

While the 5 hot keys make it possible to bring the fighting system to consoles it would of been a great idea to have Street Fighter style controls where you can use the joystick combined with button combos to come up with more moves and have a more engaging combat system.

I hope the game succeeds believe it or not.

#19 7 months ago