PS4 sales hit 2.1 million worldwide as Sony thanks its fans

Tuesday, 3rd December 2013 08:11 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 saw a staggered launch in November, and Sony has now confirmed that the console has shifted over 2.1 million units around the world.

It comes as PS4 smashed the PSP’s UK sales record to become the fastest-selling console in British history. Some 250,00 units were sold within the first 48 hours, amassing a reported £87 million in revenue for Sony.

Posting on PS Blog EU, Sony’s Andrew House spooled off some numbers for both the North American and European launches.

The console struck first in in America on November 15, selling over one million units in its first 24-hours on sale. House confirmed, “Now, with PS4′s global launch expanding to a total of 32 countries worldwide, including Europe and Latin America, I’m proud to announce that more than 2.1 million PS4s have been sold.

“It’s an impressive and record-setting accomplishment for our company and for our industry, and we couldn’t have done it without you. I want to personally thank PlayStation fans, both old and new, for your vote of confidence. The best part: the PS4 journey has just begun. In addition to an incredible line-up of PS4 games from the best developers in the world, we will continue to introduce valuable new features and services to PS4 in the months and years ahead.”

Did you pick up a PS4? What do you think of it? Let us know below.

1. FeaturePreacher

Here’s to hoping they can reach 4 million by the end of December.

#1 8 months ago
  2. KAP

Where’s Microsoft with there numbers?

#2 8 months ago
  3. mistermogul

Well done Sony, you deserve it.

Catering to gamers is a smart business plan! I look forward to getting my PS4 early next year.

Also it’s nice to actually hear some sales hard numbers as opposed to just corporate spin…

#3 8 months ago
  4. loveaya

WIIU gonna kick ass of X1 and PS4 during X’mas~

#4 8 months ago
  5. Obernox

N.. NO…. IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! consoles were destined to fail!

#5 8 months ago
  6. melonbuster1

Im happy for them because we need them.. Because Nintendo has been dead in terms of sales but the games have been great

#6 8 months ago
  7. Llewelyn_MT

@5: The real growth is elsewhere, so in fact they are. ;-) http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/01/steam-concurrent-users-break-7-million/

#7 8 months ago
  8. mistermogul

@2 – I doubt MS will release their numbers unless they are higher than Sony’s…

You know a company is doing well when they shout from the rooftops actual sales figures.

When they’re not so good they hide behind largely meaningless headlines which bear the truth but don’t mean anything – “Console Y sold more in its first week than ice cubes were sold in the arctic circle” etc

#8 8 months ago
  9. pukem0n

im guesing both will sell the same amount until christmas, as both produce the same number of consoles and all will sell out.

PS4 will propably charge ahead from january on like the 360 did in the last console cycle.
    but as every PS fanboy will agree, its a marathon, not a sprint or something and then again, who the fuck cares which console sells better?

#9 8 months ago
  10. johnapocalypse

I hope Sony totally pwn MS this Christmas, then there is a better chance of them releasing a Kinectless Xbone

#10 8 months ago
  11. redwood

i guess microsoft’s sales were a little “soft” this time… *ba dum tiss* #badjoke

#11 8 months ago
  12. mistermogul

@11 – the sales were so small they are “micro”… #evenbadderjoke

#12 8 months ago
  13. Clupula

I imagine if Microsoft managed to get higher sales, they’d not only be screaming it from the highest towers, but they’d be posting pictures of Steve Ballmer teabagging Yoshida all over the net.

#13 8 months ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

Is that it?

LOL!

#14 8 months ago
  15. viralshag

@GIGA, Don’t forget that the PS4 is sold out of stock EVERYWHERE!

Except for my local Game who try to sell me a bundle for £600… where they’ve had stock all weekend and still do.

#15 8 months ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, silly me! How could I forget…?

#16 8 months ago
  17. mistermogul

@13 lol!

#17 8 months ago
  18. gomersoul

Game are arseholes, they know they are the only ones with stock so only sell as a £600 bundle. I’m sure they could just sell it with killzone? Glad I got mine from grainger…

#18 8 months ago
  19. Dragon

@viral,
    £600 bundles exists only because its sold out everywhere, and retailers want to earn more money by selling only bundles.

On figures, BEST in the entire gaming industry yet. Kudos to Sony for pulling it off, they now have reached 50% on Wii U LTD launch in just a matter of weeks, and left behind X1 quite bit (more than 500k imo).

#19 8 months ago
  20. Kalain

I’m going to guess that this is also going to include competition winners, consoles given away for free with various Phone deals and other such ‘Shifted’ consoles.

Shifted != Sold.

#20 8 months ago
  21. viralshag

@19, Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a great launch for them. There’s no doubt about that but it’s not entirely true that it’s sold out is all. They would have sold more if there weren’t these made up bundles. Even I probably would have picked up a KZ bundle without all the other crap.

#21 8 months ago
  22. Dragon

@21,
    Those bundles are made up just because its sold out. They want to shove more stuff upon the customers because they know if anyone wants to buy a PS4, they have no other choice.
    Are you finding base price PS4s anywhere?

#22 8 months ago
  23. mistermogul

@20 – “consoles given away for free with various Phone deals”

My friend even though the end user might have got the console for free with a phone contract or competition, the PS4 would still have been purchased by the phone company or whoever gave it away. Therefore it is still a sale for Sony, it just was a third party that made the sale.

So yes shifted = sold.

#23 8 months ago
  24. viralshag

@22, That’s the thing, the base unit is what IS IN the bundle. It’s not like one big box of goodies. I understand why retailers are doing it but that just means I’ll happily wait for them to get more stock in.

All I’m saying is Sony would have shifted more consoles if retailers weren’t holding the consoles ransom to a host of shit BR films and games I don’t want/need.

#24 8 months ago
  25. Djoenz

I expected more sales, but tbh all my friends are waiting till there are better games out. Not too shabby for these lame launch games. Here in the netherlands the ps4 is all sold out. Next batch might come in end of december or january.

Also dont forget Xbox One will release in 8 other countries in march something 2014.

No sales in Brasil either oh my what a failure.

#25 8 months ago
  26. CycloneFox

#26 8 months ago
  27. derpachu

Lol @ 1 and everyone else caring what the sales numbers are.

How does this affect you what so ever? Does this make your day go by easier?

I forgot, most people can’t enjoy a console unless there favorite brand is leading in sells…. oh wait

#27 8 months ago
  28. Doppleganger

thats scary that theres that many uneducated people out there. LOL
    Jokes but personally WiiU and XboxOne has way better content right now and shocked people rushed on a dust collecting console so quick.

#28 8 months ago
  29. Clupula

@28 – Funny how you call other people uneducated, but don’t seem to grasp the concept of a launch lineup having no reflection on a system’s lifetime lineup.

Hold on, while I speak your language for you, and explain it…

DUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!

*pisses self*

Hope that cleared up everything for you. You must go through pants like candy.

#29 8 months ago
  30. zoopdeloop

@28 Plus 1+mil who bought One :P
    Yeah One has better, uninspired and overused content right there too(along with ps4)
    As for WiiU…Mario alone saves the day,the over priced hardware doesn’t

#30 8 months ago
  31. Ireland Michael

Looks like the new generation of console warring is in full swing.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I totally can’t wait for eight more years of…

“My console is better!”
    “No my console is better!”
    “Nope, mines better cause it sold more.”
    “Your console sucks because [insert personal bias here].”
    “PC4Life. Shitty outdated hardware with shitty GPU.”
    “Ur gay.”

#31 8 months ago
  32. Clupula

@31 – Really, what they should have done is have the PS4 and XB1 launch times on the same day at the same time, with both systems on top of a tower that their fans must fight to the death to reach. Then, truly the console war could begin!

Of course, I don’t include the Wii U in that scenario because, really, the Crusades and a lot of recent African Civil Wars show us how awful having child soldiers can be.

#32 8 months ago
  33. Ireland Michael

@32 We shall call it… CONSOLE ROYALE!

Or “The Console Games” if you’re one of those people. =P