Forza 5 economy to be adjusted, free gifts for eligible players

Wednesday, 27th November 2013 22:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Forza 5′s microtransactions have proved so unpopular and unsuccessful that Turn 10 will be overhauling the economy, but for now, there are a number of bonuses on offer for unhappy players to enjoy.

As promised by creative director Dan Greenawalt, Turn 10 has accepted feedback and decided to adjust prices.

“Based on the numbers we’ve seen from our first week of FM5, as well as feedback we heard directly from you, we’re in the process of making some changes to the Forza Motorsport 5 economy,” community manager Brian Ekberg wrote in a new blog post.

Turn 10 isn’t ready to implement major changes, but is introducing a couple of programs to help mollify fans in the interim.

To start with, all cars will be on sale at 50% off from Friday.

Secondly, Forza Motorsport 5 VIP members will receive the 2013 Lotus E21 grand prix car as a thank you. If you’d already purchased the 2013 Lotus E21 before today, you’ll also get the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. These gifts may take more than a day to be processed; you’ll need to log out of Forza 5 and log back in to receive them

Players who purchased the LaFerrari Car Pack or the Forza Motorsport 5 Car Pass will receive the 2013 LaFerrari in addition; again, this could take more than 24 hours and you need to log in again to receive it.

Finally, credit payouts via Forza Rewards will be dramatically increased.

Turn 10 has also apologised for an error in its Forza Motorsport 5 Limited Edition description which suggested the 1,250 token included in the pack were enough to buy any car – which is patently untrue as many cars cost more than that. To compensate, the developer will allow Limited Edition Owners to unlock any one on-disc car via a dedicated website which will open by December 16.

Forza 5 isn’t the only Xbox One game with unpopular microtransactions. Executive Phil Spencer said that Microsoft would keep an eye on microtransactions to learn which ones players liked.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. fengato

Lame “gifts” and “sales”. Seriously considering giving this one a miss until they see some sense. DLC was already out of hand for FM4.

#1 10 months ago
  2. mistermogul

“Executive Phil Spencer said that Microsoft would keep an eye on microtransactions to learn which ones players liked.”

This guy is an executive for one of the world’s biggest corporations, earning hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and probably millions in bonuses, yet he can’t even f*cking work out what MT’s players like?

Give me a freaking break Microsoft – or sack Phil Spencer and pay me to tell you what gamers want! FFS

@1 – Yeah me too though I am missing out on XB1 altogether…

It’s a shame this once great franchise has turned out like this but I have fond memories of the good old days of Forza 1, 2 & 3…

#2 10 months ago
  3. Eregol

If it’s been less than a week and you’re having to make serious concessions then you know there is something wrong with your business practice.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Hcw87

I’m hoping to see you people whine about MT’s in the GT6 articles when the game launches aswell.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@4 a That will depend on 2 factors.

1) Their price.

and

2) Whether the gameplay is diverse enough and the in-game cost of things reasonable enough as not to make it an utterly joyless grind.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Fin

one hundred and eighty!

#6 10 months ago
  7. Hcw87

Any MT’s in a non FTP game is a bad thing, no matter what the cost is. Aslong as you can buy yourself an advantage against other people, it can’t be defended. If it’s Singleplayer/CO-OP only like Ryse/DR3, then who cares.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@7 I disagree, so long as they’re optional and don’t unbalance multiplayer.

And by optional I don’t mean the alternative is spending 400 or more playing the game to unlock things. The game stills not to be designed in a fair manner. Challenge > Grinding.

#8 10 months ago
  9. manamana

@6 yes, I am also wondering of what comes next. As if Microsoft has no insight in gaming. Probably they had luck to come this far. The Xbox brand took of with Halo and then they had just a view exclusives to get them riding the waves and a strong vital momentum with north american 360 sales, building and expanding on their franchises.

This year is nothing but mindboggling and facepalming from my point of view. That comes from a long time Xbox gamer, just saying.

#9 10 months ago
  10. karma

@8: I disagree, so long as they’re optional and don’t unbalance multiplayer.

I really dont like the implications of that. All games both SP and MP are designed to have a natural pacing that maximises the players enjoyment. Developers could, if they chose to (and why wouldnt they?) artificially disrupt / extend / hinder gameplay with unnecessarily long grinds and/or less enjoyable gameplay aspects to incentivise players towards the microtransaction store, which would of course alleviate some of the labor and make the game what it should have been all along. Which is exactly what it sounds like Turn 10 have done with F5.

Thats what bothers me about MT’s. Developers and Publishers arent the most altruistic folk around.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@10 I completely agree. Forza is certainly the extreme end of microtransactions, with a model that wouldn’t be far lost in something like FarmVille. Gameplay should never be hindered by repetition – that is just bad design. The game was clearly creation with this mindset in mind. It’s cheap and it’s deceitful, and an insult to existing fans of the franchise to boot.

You *can* make microtransactions work though.

Much as I dislike how they’ve split Killet Instinct up in the way they have, it’s pricing is at least fair, and though I have played Ryse, I’ve heard it’s MTs are completely optional and the game isn’t remotely inconvenienced without them. I don’t think “unlock packs” are a bad thing either, so long as it doesn’t inpact on competitive play. If someone wants to pay to plow through a single player game, that’s their choice. It doesn’t impact my play experience.

#11 10 months ago
  12. naffgeek

@11 I am a bit surprised at your opinion on this, I usually tend to agree with you on most stuff but I have a real problem with MT’s in £50 games.

I don’t mind them done properly in F2P games and I don’t mind DLC 3-6 months after the game has launched but paying full price for a game to me is owning everything in it.

If I want all the cars give me a cheat..I have paid for them, so denying me access in anyway whatsoever is just a mechanism for money making.

Forza should never have MT’s, nor should GT6 or RSYE.

It is a slippery slope we are on when people think it’s ok because they don’t mind playing the game properly..there will be plenty who don’t and they will be the ones that drive the business model.

#12 10 months ago
  13. mistermogul

@4 – I’m half expecting this to happen with DriveClub also, but at least you know, it’s actually free to play, not £50!

Also out of the gate GT6 will have about 1200 cars and lots of tracks. There might be some MT’s to enhance the game but you’ll also be able to play it how it should be played in the first place…

@9 – “This year is nothing but mindboggling and facepalming from my point of view. That comes from a long time Xbox gamer”

#13 10 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@12 The slippery slope is rarely slippery. Or a slope.

#14 10 months ago
  15. CyberMarco

@Hcw87, fuck GT too then. I’ll be the one first in the line with a pitchfork.

@Ireland Michael, I disagree. Microtransactions don’t belong to full retail games, those are part of F2P games, end of the story.

I don’t care if they are balanced or just a commodity for those who don’t have the extra time to unlock everything, it’s just a way to exploit those who have itchy fingers and big pockets.

Pubs/devs who use MTs aren’t targeting us, who know our way around on how the industry works by reading new on gaming site and forums, but that % of people who don’t know better regarding these tactics. It’s them that they are trying to reach, to exploit their ignorance regarding this issue.

To give you an example, maybe a bit extreme. In the past couple of years here in Italy there is a rise of lucky games and gambling clubs, you know poker, black jack etc. Yeah, they aren’t a vital need but you can see why they have been sprouting around like fungus in the rain. To exploit the circumstances of our times, to lure people and get advantage of their weaknesses. Sure it’s “legal” but is it ethic? That’s what you get in a f*cking capitalist world like this! :)

@naffgeek +1

I wont support this gaming plague no matter what. I remember I could use cheat codes back in the PS2 era to unlock extra stuff and modes in my games but not now, fucking greedy companies. The sooner you fail the better it’ll be!

#15 10 months ago
  16. Hcw87

Quality>Quantity.

Why have 10 different Nissan GT’s, when they all sound the same, and only one of them have interior views?

Sony misstepped when they decided to release GT6 on PS3, it would have been a better game on PS4. And it could maybe have given Forza a run for its money.

But currently, the Forza series has overtaken GT. I doubt GT6 will change that. Maybe GT7.

#16 10 months ago
  17. naffgeek

@14 how about a greasy incline?

#17 10 months ago
  18. bradk825

It won’t happen in GT6 because they had the chance to see what it caused for Forza.

@12 makes a good point. If you buy a new game right off the shelf there shouldn’t be day 1 DLC. Pre-order bonuses and limited editions are one thing, but I don’t like that some cars are not included in the game yet are available to buy day 1. Reminds me of Mass Effect 3.

That being said I am still ok with the amount of content in general, but I am well aware I’m in the minority. I am not a hardcore racing sim guy, so 120 cars does it just fine for me and so does 14 tracks. But if I were to dedicate the time in Forza that I do in many other games I’d probably have a different opinion.

#18 10 months ago
  19. CyberMarco

@16 Quality>Quantity lol

Still there are more than 200 Premium cars in the 1200 available in the game. Also 124 new cars in the series, so yeah…

#19 10 months ago
  20. senthrententer

I am planning to buy Forza Motorsport 5 Limited edition on my birthday because I recently just got my Xbox One. But will I still get the free cars?

#20 6 months ago