Star Citizen will never be dumbed down for consoles, says Roberts, but next-gen could happen one day

Monday, 18th November 2013 15:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Star Citizen creator Chris Roberts has addressed the likelihood of the crowd-funded RPG heading to consoles in future. While he’s loathe to dumb the PC title down for a “lesser platform” such as PS3 and Xbox 360, he’s not ruling out PS4 and Xbox One.

In a forum post titled ‘Star Citizen, PC, PS4 and Consoles,’ Roberts wrote, “Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.

“I just upgraded my office rig to a pair of Titans running in SLI, driving a 4K monitor and a 1440P one (Thanks NVidia for the goodies!). We’re about ready to build the ultimate AMD rig with FOUR R9 290Xs and AMD’s eight core CPU driving a set of 4K monitors in Eyefinity (Thanks AMD!)

“You think that’s a good approximation for console, even a next gen one like PS4 or Xbox One?”

He went on to say that he favours PC as it’s an open platform that is constantly moving forward with powerful and affordable new components released each year. He added, “Because of this Star Citizen will always be primarily a PC game and will embrace the best and newest tech.”

On potential PS4 and Xbox One editiosn of Star Citizen, Roberts added, “As far as consoles go Star Citizen will never be on the PS3 or Xbox 360. As for the next gen consoles, PS4 and Xbox One, we have NO CURRENT PLANS, but my stance remains open and is consistent with the many interviews I’ve given -

“IF the platform holders (Sony & Microsoft) allow us to update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures, IF they allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms then I would CONSIDER supporting them.”

In closing he stated, “So fear not! The PC is the platform of Star Citizen. Anything else, if it happens at all, will just be after the fact.”

Are you glad to see Roberts focusing on PC for Star Citizen? Would you like to see it brought to next-gen units down the line? Let us know below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. foofly

I’m glad he’s sticking to his original plan. It’s not like he has publishers pushing him to compromise.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

But isn’t it still being dumbed down anyway? I don’t expect the PC Version to be possible in its full glory.

#2 8 months ago
  3. AmiralPatate

It’s always good to hear. But with the ambition they have, I would be surprised if they ported the game anytime soon.

#3 8 months ago
  4. _LarZen_

He seams like a elitist PC turd to be honest. And with the feedback from people playing the game I don’t think console gamers will miss out at all.

#4 8 months ago
  5. WaspHUN

@4: Are you a time traveller or what ? The game will not be released until the end of 2014 or early 2015.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Erthazus

@2, your assumption is based on what? At retarded comment that has nothing to do with reality?
    This game has 4K support (there is 4K video with it) and has fantastic gameplay and PC-like controls. You can keep your Aut-aim, bullet magnetism games and 16 button controls to yourself.

@4, OH SO YOU PLAYED IT ALREADY? WOW. MAN. GIVE IT TO ME PLEASE. Time traveling at it’s finest.

butthurt console peasent at it’s finest. This game is going to be incredible with PC-Like controls, own economy, Star Citizen will feature an accurate newtonian physics engine. Ships will come equipped with lateral thrusters that are required to turn the ship and reverse acceleration, Star system, ships and stuff.

Keep your shitty AUTO-AIM and bullet magnetism POS to yourself. Indeed. you won’t miss anything.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Legendaryboss

What are you on about? What i said was the potential PS4/One versions would be dumbed down in someway compared to the PC counterpart, hence “I don’t expect the PC Version to be possible in its full glory.”

#7 8 months ago
  8. TheBlackHole

Arrogant prat.

He can keep his money-grabbing meta game and his ‘LOVE ME AND MY DREAM PROJECT’ attitude.

“I’m glad he’s sticking to his original plan.”

You mean the one where he earns fifteen times the amount he planned for and spent it on an unnecessarily expensive mo-cap studio and kitting out his digs, while adding a couple of SHIPS to the game for every $2m raised?

Yeah, stay classy Roberts

#8 8 months ago
  9. VibraniumSpork

“a pair of Titans running in SLI, driving a 4K monitor and a 1440P one…FOUR R9 290Xs and AMD’s eight core CPU driving a set of 4K monitors in Eyefinity.” – I am lazy/PC clueless. Can someone given me an approximate RRP on that bundle of swag this guy just got given for nothing?

#9 8 months ago
  10. TheBlackHole

£10-20k?

It’s the 4k monitors that do it.

#10 8 months ago
  11. viralshag

Is this going to be the new Crysis of its time? Needing some suped up future computer to run it?

#11 8 months ago
  12. WaspHUN

@9: The 4K display is the most expensive piece there. It costs around 3500 $ (ASUS), 1440p (or 2,5K) is far cheaper, you can find a decent one for 400 $, 1 GTX Titan is around 1000$ and 570 $ for one R9 290x. the 8 core AMD CPU is not that expensive… you can grab an FX-8350 for less than 200$ on newegg.

Now… do your math :)

#12 8 months ago
  13. _LarZen_

@5 Damn, i mixed it with X Rebirth. Read to fast :/

@6 You sound like a psychopath.

#13 8 months ago
  14. papizdano

Erthazus relaaaax

#14 8 months ago
  15. archaven

Relax folks. This is just PR talks. This game will come to console. Mark my words. Which game developer is not swayed by the huge sales of consoles compared to peanuts on PC?

If anything ALL games will come to consoles. Only PC have to beg for it. I’m not a console fanboy. This comes from a PC gamer.

#15 8 months ago
  16. yeoung

@15: I dunno man.. 27+ million buys a hell of a lot of peanuts. And those aren’t even sales yet, that’s pure backing.

If anything, crowdfunding projects like this seem like a better fit for pc than the traditional retail model. Games that people want get made, and the developers won’t have publishers pulling strings, mandating and setting deadlines.

Complacency may become a factor, but that’s what a developer’s reputation or vision is for.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Erthazus

@13, If I sounded like psychopath I would use some time traveling.
    But you said that some gamers played the game. Please, share with us.

#17 8 months ago
  18. bradk825

“Powerful and affordable components each year”

“Affordable” is a relative target. Take two guys and ask them what is “affordable” and you’ll get an asnwer heavily weighted on what they make in a year.

Consoles, in the gaming world, are the very definition of affordable. In 8-10 years you’ll still be able to buy new games for it without upgrading it.

Meanwhile, when Diablo 3 came out I started watching for a sale at Futureshop and thought I might upgade my PC for it… I never once in a year saw a pre-built rig that would run the game. Affordable was out the window on that one.

I certainly agree that there is more ability to get the latest and greatest on PC, but for him to list that equipment he just got and then mention affordable upgrades is assinine.

#18 8 months ago
  19. TheWulf

Yeah. For all the money that’s been put into this by gullible backers, all we’ve had out of it are essentially sexy car commercials and defensive “I will prove the doubters wrong!” screams.

He smelled fishy from day one. The pandering to the elitist PC crowd was enough to raise an eyebrow, and he’s been playing them like a pro swindler. The horrible “I AM A PC GAME!” trailer with all of its painfully wrong typography lingers in my mind. I don’t know, this doesn’t seem like a real thing. You’d think that with all the money they have, and how long it’s been, they’d have a working alpha out by now.

This just smells wrong. It smells like a con that they’re pushing as far as they can to get as much money as they can from people who have money to waste (usually upper 20 per cent elitists). And eventually he’s going to release some half-baked experience or he’s going to say that the project fell through. He’s really very sorry, but it just can’t continue.

He has no obligation to do anything with this, and people aren’t really getting anything out of the deal, at all.

On the other hand, the new Elite game has released a bunch of info about how their game works, dev diaries, lore stuff, and it has an upcoming alpha. That has me more inclined to trust it. I mean, Roberts has been nothing but marketing and shilling thus far, and I don’t trust that.

For what it’s worth, I’m a PC gamer. But I don’t subscribe to sociopathy or elitism.

#19 8 months ago
  20. Neroist

@18 Console gaming can cost more during an 8 year period than a PC gaming. Buying 2 Xboxes(RROD), peripherals,Xbox Gold, and 50 six month old games in an 8 year period compared to a single PC using Steam and you will see that PC gaming is much cheaper.

#20 8 months ago
  21. TheWulf

Your logic is illogical, and dumb. Console elitists are every bad as PC elitists, and sometimes worse.

Consider:

a.) You only have to buy one PC, and it’ll last for as long as a console does. This is because the mainstream aims at the console, so you won’t have to upgrade the PC until the next console generation. And if you’re going to play indies, then you can set your sights even lower than that.

This idea that you constantly need the latest and greatest hardware components is a FUD fantasy and utter tripe. It’s what you tell yourself to justify your purchase.

On the other hand, whilst console purchases often cost anywhere between $60 and $80 for each and every mainstream release, they can go for anywhere between $3 and $60 on the PC. Often averaging at around $35 on release day if you shop around enough. So even if the PC costs a hundred bucks more than a console, that’s going to pay for itself within the first 5-10 games you buy.

So ultimately, it just comes down to whether you want a console or a computer. It’s the product for the person. If you don’t ever want to think and you just want to push a button to get a game, then the console is the ideal choice. But the open nature of the PC platform means you have benefits like indies, crazy sales, and mods — but you just have to think a little more.

It’s like the difference between an iPhone or an Android. Yeah, sure, Apple users are snobby but a good Android phone can do anything an iPhone can. Plus, Android has the benefit of being an open platform. With Android you have to think more about what you’re doing, and the iPhone is just about pushing a button and things immediately (and stylishly) working. It’s just what different people want.

Do you want true simplicity or do you want to sacrifice simplicity to truly own your system and do what you want with it?

It’s all about choice.

Snobbery is snobbery, whether it’s a PC user or a console user.

#21 8 months ago
  22. bradk825

@20 and 21 thanks for missing the point guys.

This guy is talking about yearly upgrades and calling them affordable, and I disagree. As for peripherals you’ll buy those for PC too, don’t be silly. And cheap games, go to Gamestop or wait a while. Indies are on console as well.

You didn’t need to reply as if I’d just written a big anti-PC tirade and tried to wreck your day. I used to be a PC gamer and I like it. I just can’t keep up with the upgrades all the time now that I have kids to support. And yeah, if you want to play new games, you have to upgrade, it is what it is. Not saying it’s a horrible thing, but it’s not the most cost-effective way to play.

The fact is this dude just listed a shit-tonne of expensive gear that he just got and then in the same breath he’s talking about affordable upgrades.

#22 8 months ago
  23. archaven

To those who said console gaming is more affordable than PC is plain wrong. I haven’t been upgrading my PC since 3 years ago. I’m still gaming on my Geforce GTX 560Ti. There’s not much changes on the advancement on technology for PC because gaming was hindered by 8 years old console. Many pubilshers/developers doesn’t want PC to look better so most multi-platform games will be hogged down by consoles graphics.

It’s a steal if you go to digital distribution (steam sales is one of it) that you can get alot of older AAA games that is so freaking cheap.

The ONLY reason for you to get a console because of “exclusives” monopolization. And this should end in my honest opinion. So that is why i’m deterred in getting a console.

I’m getting a console later just because of the exclusives. Otherwise i won’t be bothered with the Un-upgradable box, costly (in my country the PS4 cost the same as a Geforce 780. So please go figure), annual subscriptions and the expensive retail box games which i can get much cheaper digitally (and go green too).

#23 8 months ago