Trove announced as free-to-play online adventure RPG from Trion Worlds

Friday, 15th November 2013 17:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Trion Worlds has announced Trove, its free-to-play online adventure RPG.

The game is described as “an open-ended voxel adventure through countless realms filled with quests, chests, and enemies great and small.”

Players can explore and create buildable and destructible worlds much like with Minecraft.

You can sign up for alpha testing through here, which Trion says will help the team “develop openly and collaboratively” with the players.

A release date and platforms other than PC have not been announced.

1. _LarZen_

I really like the art style.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Xbone

OMG! STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP with the damn voxel bullshit. I cant look at that anymore, my eyes bleeds. Just pls stop!

#2 11 months ago
  3. DSB

Christ…. Cubeworld is gonna be ripped off like 5-10 times before it ever makes it to market. Kinda sad.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Legion

@2 I know how you feel. It is yet another design style that is being played out a bit. Though this seems to have at least more detail then what Minecraft offers. But a lot less then what a similar format like ‘Project SPARK’ has to offer with it’s world creating.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Arcnail

@3 lol Cubeworld? It’s called Minecraft.

#5 11 months ago
  6. DSB

@5 Yeah, no. Cubeworld.

It was started way before this project, and it looks almost identical to it.

Cubeworld is made by one guy though, so the progress is slow, and I’m not sure he’s made a very smart decision there.

It’s already been ripped off by others. I’m pretty sure there won’t be an audience once he’s finished with it.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Arcnail

I have Cubeworld. The guy and his wife making it have taken the money and ran. Last game update (last I checked) was July. GG.

Cubeworld is created from the same look and feel of MINECRAFT.

If Trove copies a game that copied a game, then it’s the original that they are copying.. MINECRAFT.

#7 11 months ago
  8. DSB

@7 But by that same logic, you’re really talking about INFINIMINER.

There has to be some limit to how vague you can get. Cubeworld is not Minecraft anymore than Minecraft is Infiniminer.

#8 11 months ago
  9. silkvg247

I dunno, I actually like back to basic graphics.

You get games like ghosts and you just can’t tell shit apart. The amount of times I die because I can’t see that a beige block of pixels is a dude and not part of the beige bin, beige wall and beige box next to him.

Being able to look and instantly recognise things is an important part of game play that has been lost. Whether intentional due to “realism” or not, it sucks, I dislike it immensely. I want a game that awards reflexes not your ability to play where’s wally.

So yeah, happy for voxel/cube to stay. Looks fun.

#9 11 months ago