Need for Speed: Rivals is native 1080p across both Xbox One and PlayStation 4

Wednesday, 13th November 2013 21:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Need for Speed: Rivals is native 1080p across both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in case you were worried, according to Digital Foundry.

This was achieved by Ghost Games who used the new Frostbite 3 engine to develop the racer.

Craig Sullivan, creative director at Ghost said each system has its own challenges, and said to ask him again in “two years” which console is easier to develop games on.

“Right now, the console’s aren’t even out, and people are trying to say this about development and that about development,” he said. “The thing is they’re both very different to develop for, and they both have their quirks, and I’m sure they will both be reviewed side by side and people will put our game side by side on both platforms – I know Battlefield’s getting a lot of that.

“For the first wave of launch software, I think people who are saying it’s particularly easy or particularly hard on one, it changes depending on the game and depending on the engine. I don’t think you can say this one is better than that one, because I don’t think we know enough about them yet to be honest.”

Need for Speed: Rivals is a launch title on both systems.

1. melonbuster1

Wow.. its such a big deal .. 60fps is the big question. . Ps4 = 1080p 15fps. . Xbox1 = 720p 60fps. .. pick a side…

#1 1 year ago
  2. mongbatstar

@1 … That’s just so weak.

I got this in my Amazon bundle. I hope it doesn’t suck.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Xbone

The more important question… is it 60fps? The article dont mention so I guess not.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Legendaryboss

@1/3
    Put up with 30fps across Xbox One and PS4.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Xbone

@4 Thats pretty bad.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Phoenixblight

How so? The game looks fantastic especially compared to Forza which has static environments and uses methods from the last Forza not showing off anything next gen other than its Driveatar stuff which we will never know about until enough metrics are collected.

Rivals, has weather effects, and actual gameplay mechanics not just running around in circles until you are blue in the face.

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

I’m getting this at launch instead of COD, looking forward to it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. POOhead

>people expecting huge quality of games on every console at launch

god damn did you retards ever play viva piñata or motorstorm? those were the first released games on both ps3 and 360 and both graphically sucked with crappy fps, every normal cunt with a brain knows the more we go into a consoles cycle the better games get, 3rd party games are the worst games for every launch console

#8 1 year ago
  9. Phoenixblight

My wife and I actually enjoyed viva piñata a lot. I would actually like to see that game done again especially with the kinect involved.

#9 1 year ago
  10. POOhead

@9 i love the game, still play it to this day but it has so many problems when it saves it slows down an stuff, amaing game

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phoenixblight

It had its issues but it wasn’t awful. Its gameplay outshines its flaws.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Hcw87

Are you insane? This has nothing on Forza, and there are FAR more people hyped up about Forza compared to this rehash.

Pretty graphics sure, but not much else. And Forza doesn’t exactly look worse than this.

Less butthurt please.

#12 1 year ago
  13. tenthousandgothsonacid

This is so shit. Even using the same engine as Battlefield4 but with no destruction and a lot less than 64 players it’s 30 fps. Remember when Criterion used to be good ?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Hcw87

Shame Criterion didn’t make this game then. Swedish devs. Criterion was only there for a short while at the beginning, so it’s by no means a Criterion game.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Phoenixblight

SOrry what? I have watched Forza and its add nothing as far as next gen. Its using static lighting, no weather effects and there is nothing added to the game compared to its previous iteration. Yay better textures and some reflective maps.

I could care less about the amount of people looking forward to Forza what I have seen Forza has is nothing compared to Rival which is using Frostbite 3 and looks fantastic along with having actual gameplay.

Also what butthurt? I bought RIvals and I am glad about it. What would I be hurt by? I don’t care for Forza and drive around in circle simulation. I would gladly go for Driveclub and Rivals because they have actual environments and things to look at when Forza doesn’t not unless you like looking at only the car and the road but if you look pass that its a static set piece.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Nephilimator

Dang xbone holding the ps4 back as lowest common denominator.

#16 1 year ago
  17. manamana

Yeah, Infinity Ward is dead.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Hcw87

Sony fanboy.

Anyone who enjoys racing games is excited by Forza 5, unless ofcourse you’re not planning on buying an XB1 and hates on everything MS is doing.

DriveClub and Forza is more alike than you think, just one of them is more arcadey than the other. Forza runs better and looks as good or better than Driveclub. ”Static” environments or not.

Also, nobody does better engine sounds than Forza. Nobody.

Disclaimer: I AM buying a PS4. Getting both next week actually.

You’re the one who randomly brought up Forza, which only proves further you’re in the Sony camp. So stay there with your butthurt.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Phoenixblight

Not randomly bringing up forza its comparable especially since its the only racing game coming out for next gen if GT6 was coming at launch on PS4 I would making the same comparisons. Forza doesn’t have weather effects, no dynamic lighting, not to mention it lacks actual gameplay besides just driving. Sorry I offended you. If I were getting an Xbox One I would definitely get Rivals over Forza.

Don’t need a game about driving in circles on a racing track, a dead racing track at that.

BTW Driveclub has all those things I mentioned it does dynamic lighting(day/night cycles), weather effects, along with nice looking environments.

Stop with the butthurt comment. I am not hurt by anything again I am buying Rivals, I am buying a PS4 there is nothing “hurt” by that. In fact I am pretty excited especially when February comes I will be playing Infamous one of my favorite series this gen.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Super Girevik

“I don’t think you can say this one is better than that one, because I don’t think we know enough about them yet to be honest.”

Refreshing to see such rational thinking.

So much trash talking going on in this community and the systems haven’t even launched.

I believe people who go out of their way to bring down a competing platform are usually just in fear of said platform. Think about it, you don’t have to go out of your way to trash trash. It’s the age old tactic of making something appear inferior, so that something else can appear superior.

Don’t get me wrong, if you enjoy your gaming platform or a certain game and you want to express that, that’s perfectly fine. But constantly criticizing the competition just looks ridiculous and demonstrates either a low level of one’s mental capacity or fear of the competition.

That’s my two cents on fanboy ranting.

EDIT: This isn’t directed to anyone in particular or the Forza debate above. Just a general observation.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Phoenixblight

Its my opinion and its based on video of both games so its not trash talking either. Its right there plain as day.

#21 1 year ago
  22. gomersoul

I don’t think any Sony fanboys are threatened by the xbone, it is a bit shit in comparison. You can’t polish a turd as Microsoft have demonstrated by going from one pr disaster to the next. Ps4 will outsell and outclass xbone in every territory, it’s embarrassing for xbox fans, they’ll be angry until Xbox two gets announced cos surely Ms can’t fuck that up aswell

#22 1 year ago