Total War: Rome 2 sells over 800,000 units as Sega turns six-month profit

Monday, 4th November 2013 15:24 GMT By Sherif Saed

Sega has announced that The Creative Assembly’s strategy title Total War: Rome 2 has sold over 800,000 units since launch. The news was revealed as part of the firm’s earnings report for the six-month period ending September 30.

Sega also outlined a profit of ¥1.11 billion ($11.24 million) for its consumer sector, which includes its games business. The game was already on track to be one of the biggest selling in the franchise, judging by the pre-order numbers.

It came out in September and already received four patches since launch.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. archaven

Nothing to be happy about. This is peanuts compared to consoles. GTA5 29 millions. #DealthWithIt#

#1 9 months ago
  2. undermyrules

@1 PC gaming is all about digital sales…this is only hard copies…i bet digital sales are like 4-5 times…il say just Steam…they say Skyrim from 2011 to 2013 sold like 3.1 mil copies…not counting digital sales…but on steam there were like 5 mil players that played Skyrim..;)

#2 9 months ago
  3. MFBB

#2 you are wrong here.

This is a sales number announced by the publisher of the game.

It is not a charts number from some company who tracks sales.

I am surprised its so low but it is the correct number.

I was interested in getting the game but the comments about bugs and horrible KI (needs minutes to make a turn and so) etc made me not buy it.

#3 9 months ago
  4. hellhound432

#3 Not buying it at launch was probably for the best, the first couple weeks were pretty brutal. Angry Joe’s review of the game was spot on at launch.

I’m still hesitant to recommend buying it at full price, but the game has improved quite a bit. I’ve sunk dozens of hours into it and haven’t experienced any crashes or serious bugs recently. There’s a good game at the core of it, it just hasn’t been polished as well as it should have been – though I don’t think it will ever be as good as Shogun 2 or Medieval 2. The only major downside to the game I doubt they’ll improve much more is the terrible AI.

The good news is there’s already major veteran modders working on improving the game. The Radious mod has already been released and has made hundreds of balance changes and improvements, including to the AI.

TL,DR: Good game with many flaws, was released far too early. Still worth playing but probably best to wait for a sale.

#4 9 months ago
  5. GrimRita

Lets just see how the new Total War game does, because people have been burnt by the Sega/CA bullshit machine and wont fall for the same trick again.

It didnt stay long in top of the steam chart – both sales and time played because its just a shoddy pile of crap. Avoid, if you havent already wasted your money

#5 9 months ago
  6. DSB

Personally I wish I could make it 799,999 copies. I want my money back.

I really wasn’t expecting them to drop the ball again, they were really doing quite well with Napoleon and Shogun.

Huge disappointment.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Keivz

4-5x? Lol! Where do people come up with these numbers?

#7 9 months ago
  8. Llewelyn_MT

@1: Let’s just say PC players don’t jump to buy any game they can the moment it is released. Many people now turn to reviews in lieu of preorder especially with series with a shady track record. Good PC games still sell well and come with a larger profit margin.

#8 9 months ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

@1 It’s a strategy game, you can’t compare this to a mainstream game like GTA. Why don’t you compare it to a DCS sim while you’re there?

#9 9 months ago
  10. DSB

@9 Man, I pity the fool who reads that and wonders what a DCS sim is.

You really haven’t gamed until you’ve flown an SU-25 at low altitude, releasing cluster munitions over a Georgian tank column.

#10 9 months ago
  11. xXNapsterManXx

WOW only 800k i would have thought it sold more everyone I know has the game.

#11 9 months ago
  12. GrimRita

@9 – Its not a strategy game any more.Its an arcade war game because it has Victory flags to capture in the middle of a FIELD. So regardless if you use the hills to your advantage, make choke points etc – its pointless if someone captures a stupid dumbass flag!

#worstgame2013