Blockbuster UK re-enters administration, cancels Xbox One and PS4 pre-orders

Tuesday, 29th October 2013 17:00 GMT By Phil Owen

If you ordered a PlaySation 4 or Xbox One from Blockbuster UK, you’re going to be irritated to learn that your order has been cancelled as the company goes back into administration just ten months after Gordon Brothers Europe bought it out of administration in January. The Blockbuster UK Twitter confirmed the cancellations.

If you’re affected, I’d start lobbying Sony and/or Microsoft like right now.

1. Rikki

Blockbuster still exists? Damn, learn something new everyday…

#1 6 months ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

It gets worse still! Not only are they not getting you your console, but…”it is also telling customers who have already paid for their consoles that they will need to visit the store at which the pre-order was placed for assistance. Those who ordered online are being asked to write a letter to the company’s Uxbridge head office.”

Hopefully, no VG readers are affected.

#2 6 months ago
  3. antraxsuicide

@2 Good Lord, that’s just a scam if I’ve ever seen one.

#3 6 months ago
  4. fearmonkey

Wow….I hope no one actually pre-ordered a console from them.. If you already paid, you have to write a letter? yikes.

#4 6 months ago
  5. DSB

It’s the year 2013. If you’re still going to Blockbuster, you’re probably Amish.

#5 6 months ago
  6. bradk825

This is all bad for anyone who pre-ordered there.

I am surprised to hear they still exist. Canadian Blockbuster stores closed about 4 years ago I think.

#6 6 months ago
  7. freedoms_stain

@5, or this guy: http://www.geekenstein.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/South.Park_.S16E12.HDTV_.x264-ASAP.mp4_snapshot_03.21_2012.10.26_13.53.24.jpg

The town I just moved away from had a Blockbuster that shut down shortly before I left. I suppose that wasn’t a good sign, but then again, Blockbuster stores have been shutting left and right for the last decade.

#7 6 months ago
  8. DeVitowned

Who uses Blockbuster, honestly? My heart goes out to those affected, be they gamers, employees, or employee gamers.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Digital Bamboo

@6 Nah, it was bout 2-2.5 years ago they closed in Canada. I went there a few times to rent Blu-rays in 2011. But there was never more than 1-2 other people in there at the time.

Anyway, nobody who cared too much about their pre-order would have made it at Blockbuster.

#9 6 months ago