Trine 2: Complete Story Edition confirmed for PS4 release, comes in at 1080p & 60FPS

Monday, 28th October 2013 14:14 GMT By Dave Cook

Trine 2: Complete Story Edition developer Frozenbyte has confirmed it is bringing the game to PS4. Better yet, it’s going to be displayed in 1080p at 60FPS.

It follows rumours surrounding the release, after it was spotted on the roster of Finnish gaming expo DigiExpo.

The confirmation comes via Sony’s Twitter feed:

The blog post explains that the game will feature a full 20-level campaign, including the Goblin Menace expansion and Dwarven Caverns stage.

Frozenbyte developer Kai said that he studio is self-publishing the game, and added, “PlayStation 4 has allowed us to go all-out on the technical side, so you’ll get to enjoy the beautiful graphics in 1080p resolution at 60 fps! What’s more, the game also supports stereoscopic 3D! With 3D displays becoming more common every day, we’ve made sure Trine 2: Complete Story is a treat to play in 3D as well.”

Are you a Trine fan? Will you pick this up at launch on PS4? Let us know below.

1. Crapgamer

This is another case of a game that’s been out forever being re-released on the PS4. I’m not sure I understand this tactic, it’s almost like the Wii U launch all over again. I don’t think many people will want to buy games that have been playable on other systems for a long time now.

#1 9 months ago
  2. TrickyAudio

@1 It depends really. Maybe some people never played it on PS3. I have, and I loved it, so may pick this up too. Same as I probably will with Flower, Flow etc. More options init.

#2 9 months ago
  3. xFidelCashflow

Already have this on Steam/PS3. Its a gorgeous game, I’d gladly pick it up again for PS4, just not Day 1.

#3 9 months ago
  4. VibraniumSpork

@1 There’s also the practice forming that a lot of games getting PS4 re-issues (Flower, Flow, Escape Plan etc.) are being made available free on the new console for customers who’ve already bought them on PS3 through PSN. That can only help bolster your next-gen games catalog and hey, updated visuals are a decent reason to play those games again.

Not sure if this’ll be the case for those who’ve previously purchased Trine, but I wouldn’t be surprised at this stage.

#4 9 months ago
  5. MFBB

Simply to get lots/good games on the new system.

So people are not stuck with ~20 games or so for the first months.

Also for PS+, so they can give us games since titles like Knack etc cant be given away after a few weeks.

I never played Trine 2, looking forward to get it on PS+ :)

#5 9 months ago
  6. Madgame

I will buy if they price it according to its age. I bought this cheap during a steam sale, no way will I pay full retail price.

#6 9 months ago
  7. MrBambinoDent

Complete story edition my a$$!!!
    You just don’t wanna give the game to people who bought it ok current gen, I respected Flower, Flow and a couple more games developers for releasing the PS4 edition and giving it for free for anyone who has it on current gen instead if naming it deluxe edition or milking the title edition!

#7 9 months ago
  8. kaiFB

Hi Everyone, Kai from Frozenbyte here.

First of all my apologies to those of you who bought Trine 2 on PS3, for us not bringing the Goblin Menace DLC to that system. We really didn’t handle that situation as well as we could. There were some technical as well as financial issues involved, and the expansion levels wouldn’t run on the PS3 without big optimizations.

We’re trying to look for something to offer for the PS3 Trine 2 owners, but there may be technical issues preventing us from doing things we’d like to, such as discounts. Can’t promise anything, but let’s see what happens!

Thanks for your support,

-Kai, Frozenbyte team

#8 9 months ago
  9. Tormenter

I’d bloody hope it’s 1080/60.. it’s hardly a power sink of a game.. no loads of AI to cope with, it’s hardly the cryengine (with referrence to it being a resource hog) and it’s not going to have any fast or complicated mechanics that could bog down the cpu.

It’s hardly news that it run at these specs.. it WOULD be news if it couldn’t.

#9 9 months ago
  10. CPC_RedDawn

I was going to say the same thing, I bloody hope this is 1080/60 cause if not then there is need to worry about the next gen consoles performance levels.

But you also have to consider, at what settings is this going to be running at? Is it going to be a carbon copy of the PC version running at Maxed out in game settings, are they going to aim for higher settings? Is it true 1080p and not crappy rendered at a lower resolution and then up scaled? I hate when they say its 1080/60 its like “yea sure but if it looks like a PS1 game then its going to be!”

I shall look forward to playing it on my friends PS4 as I really want to expierence this game on a nice 55″ Plasma in 3D. I think this game will look stunning in 3D no matter what settings! :D

#10 9 months ago
  11. LOLTastic

So the PS4 is finally going to have graphical features present on PCs since 2005?

Well, too bad the PS4 isn’t getting 4K and 120FPS…maybe on the PS5 a decade from now.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Phoenixblight

Too bad the eye can perceive a faster frame rate than 60FPS. Nor do I see any studio using 4k. YOu want to spend 2k on a machine to get 4k resolution for better eye candy that is your right but that is not the point of a console. THere is no point in comparing a PC to a console especially a 1k+ to a 400-500$ machine.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Jerykk

The eye can definitely perceive more than 60 FPS. Your brain isn’t a monitor or television. There’s no quantifiable limit to how quickly it can receive and interpret light.

Speaking from personal experience, there is a noticeable difference between 60 FPS and 100+ FPS. People who say otherwise haven’t played games at 100+ FPS. The difference isn’t as profound as the difference between 30 and 60 FPS but it’s definitely noticeable.

#13 9 months ago