Battlefield 4 hasn’t been limited by modern day setting, says DICE over Battlefield 2142 demands

Monday, 28th October 2013 14:27 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 2142 seems to have a lot of love out there, so it’s natural gamers want a sequel. However, DICE’s Lars Gustavsson has stressed that while the reality attached to modern day settings may prove limiting, it only serves to push the studio’s creative mind-set further. So that’s a ‘no’ to Battlefield 2143 just now, basically.

Speaking with OXM, Gustavsson stressed, “It’s definitely a fact that sticking to any era from true life makes you have to look harder for more possibilities to bring in for cool gameplay, but I think for Battlefield 4 this definitely hasn’t been a limiting factor or a limitation. I think we’ve found a lot of new ideas and new ways of keeping customising and adding new toys to the battlefield.

“And to be honest, if we – and I’m not saying that we will, but for the future – if we did continue to go down the contemporary warfare route then yeah, I would seriously look into what we can do that seriously impacts your experience of Battlefield. Since, as you say – every era, as long as it’s [true to life], inhabits limitations.”

When it was suggested that Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 developer Treyarch would have had much more freedom to go bananas in the creativity stakes due to its future setting, Gustavsson continued, “Yeah, it gives them a lot of creative freedom. And I think that’s what people loved when we did Battlefield 2142 – when they got to unleash their creativity. ‘This seems cool: let’s do it!’

“At the same time I think that we’ve been really happy working with a contemporary setting, in being able to have a great foundation to build on and then just add a plethora of extra goodies to it. The contemporary [setting] with all the hi-tech stuff that’s already out there, to just keep on evolving it. I’d rather see it as a positive for the customer, that we can bring so much more to that setting, than a negative.”

What do you think fans? Should they do a Battlefield 2142 sequel? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, you can pre-load Battlefield 4 on PC now. Huzzah!

1. VibraniumSpork

I’m all for a new Battlefield 2142, if only for the fact that not having been a PC gamer for years, I never got to play the original. The youtube videos I saw of it looked awesome though – hijacking Titans and blowing them up? Epic. Also, pretty impossible to find a comparative experience to that in contemporary theaters of war.

#1 10 months ago
  2. OwnedWhenStoned

It was my favourite of the Battlefields at the time, mostly because it wasn’t as popular as BF2 so had less assholes playing.

Titan mode was excellent though, as was the cloak for the sniper.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Pytox

bf 2142 was cool :D

#3 10 months ago
  4. wrklnt

do not let them destroy 2142s legacy, let them make couple more modern era games so they can get back on track again

#4 10 months ago
  5. GrimRita

BF2142 introduced me to the world of BF and needless to say, I was addicted. 64 player maps was just awesome on our servers(Timeless) and it never got boring.

As a sniper(LOL), a well placed RDX soon took care of anyone wanting to try and claim my dog tags and I had such joy watching vehicles drive over my RDX, suddenly to be airbourne in a blink of an eye.

I think DICE have missed a trick in their chase to try and beat CoD as I think for all their hot air on ‘we would love to bring it back’ means nothing because after BF4 is launched, the talk will switch to ‘we could have done this better, so we’re announcing BF5′

#5 10 months ago
  6. OwnedWhenStoned

@5 I was on those servers too I think. Good times.

Sentry turrets could give people a nasty surprise…

#6 10 months ago
  7. FuntimeBen

Meh as long as they continue down the BF and Bad Company present day lines, I guess I wouldn’t mind a BF2142. I personally dislike all the neon shotgun shell crap of 90% of all future FPS. It also bares mentioning that most, if not all FPS games coming out are blending modern-day with some bullshit future tech. Remote controlled dogs, mechs, aliens in the multiplayer, etc. Battlefield is one of the ONLY modern day competitive FPS on next/current-gen console and on the PC – other than Arma3. I prefer the realism, rather than BF becoming Halo, COD:Ghosts, Titanfall, or Destiny.

Personally I would rather have a DICE developed Star Wars Battlefront, which is a completely different franchise, than a BF2142.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Doppleganger

Way to many futuristic games out there. Plus they are making Battlefront! whats the point?
    Please I wanna see WW2 setting again! Land, Air and sea battles where WAY better in 1942.

#8 10 months ago