Assassin’s Creed film “definitely happening,” according to co-producer and star Michael Fassbender

Saturday, 19th October 2013 21:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Assassin’s Creed film adaptation “definitely happening,” according to co-producer and star Michael Fassbender.

Speaking with The Daily Beast, Fassbender said he’s waiting on the script, the draft of which penned by British playwright Michael Lesslie is reportedly being tweaked by Wolverine screenwriter Scott Frank. he is currently tweaking the original draft .

“That’s definitely happening,” Fassbender said. “We’re just developing the script at the moment. I’d heard of it but had never played the game. I don’t have a video game player … that’s not what they’re called. [Laughs] I met up with the guys from Ubisoft and they told me the story behind it, and I thought it was very interesting — the idea of reliving memories.”

The film is set for production at New Regencyand slated for release on May 22 in 2015, according to a May report.

1. Pytox

a videogame player oh boy

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

He’s from Europe, give him a break.

He probably also says automobile and aeroplane.

#2 1 year ago
  3. hitnrun

“We’re just developing the script at the moment. I’d heard of it but had never played the game. I don’t have a video game player … that’s not what they’re called. [Laughs] I met up with the guys from Ubisoft and they told me the story behind it, and I thought it was very interesting”

What could go wrong?

No, seriously though, it probably can’t be worse than the annualized plot Ubi churns out.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Legendaryboss

That doesn’t sound good surprise, surprise, but hey game to movie transitions and vice-versa usually for the most part don’t pan out well: In this case he hasn’t played it on any video game player, LOL :) Why break the trend?

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheBlackHole

Fassbender is a brilliant actor. Can’t see this going wrong as long as he picks a good director.

#5 1 year ago
  6. yeoung

@DSB:

I doubt it, a lot of Europeans don’t speak English in their respective countries.

/fun at parties

#6 1 year ago
  7. wildBoar

@2 @6 He’s from Ireland….

Honestly I’m glad gaming isn’t ‘that’ mainstream yet. Gaming should cling to its nerdy, imaginative roots. And Fassbender should be too busy banging supermodels, the world needs someone to idolize, right?

A good director for once and I’ll actually watch this.

#7 1 year ago
  8. AmiralPatate

If it weren’t mainstream, they wouldn’t make blockbusters out of it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. DSB

@7 I call shenanigans on that. If he doesn’t have Xbox or Playstation in his vocabulary, he’s either not from this planet, doesn’t have English as a first language. Or he was born before like 1930.

Is he a vampire? Do they have vampire problems in Ireland? Is that why Irish people are so pale?

#9 1 year ago
  10. wildBoar

@8 “‘that’”.

And yeah, we’re finally seeing Hollywood daring to get this nerdy. But we’ve only just gotten there in the last 10 years or so, please don’t cavil so much.

#10 1 year ago
  11. wildBoar

@9 An assassin vampire banging supermodels.. That’s a movie.

I honestly can’t imagine what he does on his free time though, that’s part of the charm and “glamour” with movie stars I guess. But I prefer the banging supermodels explanation, I need someone I can envy that I don’t entirely hate, like all the people I do know.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

@11 Dude, vampires get all the chicks. Even if they sneak in their windows at night while they’re sleeping, and it’s probably illegal, they still totally get away with it. It would be weird if he was a vampire and didn’t bang models.

I have a hard time finding famous people I don’t hate. If I do like someone they’ll usually be like a supporting actor or a writer or someone similar who’s famous but not super famous.

Good god… Maybe I’m a hipster :(

*edit*

Nope, don’t hate Jennifer Lawrence. So there.

#12 1 year ago
  13. wildBoar

Man, dem vampires. There aren’t that many actors I particularly admire either, but I quite like Fassbender. He’s just a really good fit for those badass roles like Magneto, and he killed it in Shame.

But yeah Jennifer Lawrence got dem chipmunk cheeks, I just wanna pinch em. We really do need more good indie/fan movies though. But that kickstarter section gets no love, unless Zach Braff decides to grace it.
    It’s kinda weird that no one has made an amateur full length assassins creed movie in their backyard yet. I’d watch it.
    But hey, now we get the Fassbender.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dragon

I think Assassins creed as a franchise has great potential to be a transmedia one. It has the deep lore required to make a good movie, and frankly getting a good story is the part most video game movie adaptations fail imo.
    Fingers crossed.

#14 1 year ago
  15. fihar

I’m thinking that the movie is going to be a bit like Source Code just with a much longer period inside the Animus instead of just 8 minutes.

I wonder how are they going to structure the movie though. Will the narrative shifts constantly between the present day and the past or will the present would simply act as both the prologue and the epilogue? Obviously, runtime is always an issue with movies so I suspect the present day would be shafted in favor of the past.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dunno

Can’t stand this guy

#16 1 year ago
  17. wildBoar

Of course you don’t.

#17 1 year ago
  18. YoungZer0

As long as he’s not writing the script, I see no reason why his ignorance would be a problem here.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Panthro

I think that’s one of the bigger problems with adapting something from a video game to a movie, movies are too short.

I could see AC doing good ground as a TV series though, people need to realize that a game being adapted into other media doesn’t always have to be a movie, I think that’s probably the worst direction to take a game adaptation in my opinion.

And with the current TV shows which have recently came out hopefully people begin seeing it as a good place for the adaption of big games, I for one would love to see a Deus Ex TV series since a Fallout movie wouldn’t be long enough to be satisfying.

#19 1 year ago
  20. DSB

Hahaha.

From the script:

“He turned the knob on the wooden barrier fitted to the opening in the wall. That’s not what it’s called”

“He turned the knob on the water delivery apparatus. That’s not what it’s called”

“He gripped his shortened stabbing weapon tightly in his hand. That’s not what it’s called”

It’s gonna be a looong movie.

#20 1 year ago
  21. zinc

Well the movie won’t focus on collecting feathers & climbing towers, so thats 90% of “lore” right out the window.

My monies on a medieval “Bourne Identity”.

#21 1 year ago