The Long Dark adds Solid Snake actor to vocal cast

Monday, 14th October 2013 23:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

David Hayter, best known to gamers as the voice of Snake in all Metal Gear Solid Games prior to The Phantom Pain, has signed onto Hinterland’s first-person survival sandbox adventure The Long Dark. Hinterland announced the news in a Kickstarter update, and also provided a new video showing off some of the choices you’ll have to make; check it out through the break.

The project has also secured Jennifer “FemShep” Hale, and boasts a veteran development team with some hefty credits to its name, so is becoming quite star-studded. The Long Dark hit its Kickstarter goal over the weekend and has less than two days remaining on the clock, with several interesting stretch goals to come.

1. Panthro

Awesome.

#1 6 months ago
  2. DSB

Why does anyone like that guy? And why would you care if he got usurped by Kiefer Sutherland?

It’s like trying to choose between Gruff American Dude A and Gruff American Dude B.

I don’t think it fits very well with the concept personally.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Panthro

They’ve got very different voices… and David Hayter only did the voice for Big Boss in MGS3 and Peace Walker and was exchanged for a different actor in MGS4 before 2008 (obviously since they were working on it before the release).
    Even before the announcement that Hayter wasn’t voicing Big Boss in V I already had assumed they would be choosing someone else anyway… because if you are familiar with the MG timeline we are drawing closer and closer to Solid Snake and Big Boss clashing, and it would be pretty awkward if they shared the same voice actor.

And I don’t know why anyone likes him, but I do… I guess its just a nice throwback to my childhood… MGS was such a massive game for me back then and its still my favorite game today, his voice was iconic…. and we heard so much of it hahaha those long ass codec calls and cutscenes <3

Hearing him say something in the solid snake voice is just as nostalgic for me as hearing the SONY PS1 start-up sound.

#3 6 months ago
  4. ctankep

They should have got th’ guy who does th’ “Strider” laugh.

#4 6 months ago
  5. YoungZer0

@3: What are you talking about? Hayter also did Solid Snake, not ‘only’ Big Boss. And he was not exchanged in MGS4. That’s still Hayter.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Dunno

intriguing!

#6 6 months ago
  7. Panthro

@5 What are you talking about? I’m solely talking about him voicing Big Boss… not solid snake, I was replying to DSB talking about how he got replaced by Sutherland for BIG BOSS, of course I know he does solid snakes voice; I used the word ‘only’ as he did ‘only’ voice Big Boss in PW and MGS3 and wasn’t included in MGS4 hence why I already assumed he wouldn’t be voicing him in GZ and V.

And as I said, if you finished MGS4 [SPOILERS] Big Boss makes an appearance at the end, not being voiced by Hayter.

#7 6 months ago