Titanfall: pre-E3 reveal leak reactions were “scary”

Thursday, 10th October 2013 04:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Titanfall is a bold departure from the standard shooter formula, and presenting it to the public for the first time was a frightening prospect for the Call of Duty veterans at Respawn Entertainment.

Titanfall has been the star of every show its visited so far, but speaking with Ausgamers, Respawn community manager Abbie Heppe said bringing a new IP to market isn’t as easy as the developer made it look.

“I think we have a great window to do new IP right now, the timing is great, but before E3, we were sitting there, and nobody really outside the studio had seen the game – we were a little bit scared,” she said.

“Especially when stuff started leaking out about it, and I remember looking at the early comments, and people going ‘they’re making a mech game? That sounds stupid; I don’t want that.’”

Heppe said many fans expected Respawn to produce a Call of Duty-style game because so many of its staff are Infinity Ward veterans; the studio formed when Jason West and Vince Zampella led a mass exodus.

“I think there were a lot of gamers that were expecting that that’s more or less exactly what we would do, only it would be in space. When stuff leaked and it wasn’t that – and none of those early leaks really covered the sort of parkour stuff, and the wall running, which is one of my favourite parts of it – there were a lot of comments like ‘oh, this is going to be terrible,’” she said.

“To have that going into E3, when you’re trying to be excited and think ‘I sure hope people like this, because honestly we really don’t know’, that was a little scary. So after that, it’s been really rewarding to see how people have grabbed onto it, because it was a little scary before that.”

Titanfall is due on PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in early 2014. Previews have been lavish with praise; take a look at 20 minutes of Titanfall gameplay to see why.

1. Xbone

Im really looking forward to this game… on PC of course. Its a new, fresh idea not the usual cod/bf crap.

#1 10 months ago
  2. AmiralPatate

“They’re making a mech game? That sounds stupid; I don’t want that”

Who in their right mind would say something like that?

#2 10 months ago
  3. EdgizAwesome

@1 Yeah a mech shooter sure has never been done before xD

#3 10 months ago
  4. G1GAHURTZ

^ Link to a single parkour based FPS game where yo can also use mechs.

Didn’t think so…

#4 10 months ago
  5. AmiralPatate

Even mechs aren’t that common in FPSs. The only one I can think about is BF2142.

#5 10 months ago
  6. dsr

Unreal Tournament 3
    Well, its not “parkour”, but you can move really fast, use sidejumps and walljumps, doing all sorts of crazy stuff.
    You can use robotic machines(Necris, I think?) and various vehicles like planes, tanks and hoverboards.

@5 what about Killzone?

#6 10 months ago
  7. AmiralPatate

I may or may not be a PC player and not aware that games exist on other platforms.
    In other news, there are probably a few other FPSs with mechs, it’s still not that common.

#7 10 months ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

@6:

There are no mechs in Unreal. Vehicles? Yes. Mechs? No. I certainly don’t think that anyone’s ever described Unreal as being a mech game before.

Also, let’s not confuse an SP level with a main MP feature. Killzone doesn’t have any mechs in MP.

I don’t see the point in trying to belittle this game because someone did something vaguely along the same lines before. This isn’t a CoD clone. That’s all the OP was saying.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Dave Cook

@GIGA Well said. Definitely not a CoD clone, not by a long stretch of the imagination.

#9 10 months ago
  10. DrDamn

KZ3 had mechs in MP.

(NB: Agree Titanfall is a new take on the genre, just correcting this point)

#10 10 months ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

Thanks guys.

Also, thanks for correcting me, DD.

#11 10 months ago
  12. YoungZer0

@7: Blacklight Retribution then.

#12 10 months ago