UK retailer SimplyGames asks customers to pay for higher PS4 bundles to secure day-one order

Tuesday, 8th October 2013 08:29 GMT By Dave Cook

UK retailer SimplyGames is forcing customers into paying extra to secure their PS4 pre-order for release day. The site has contacted those with existing orders, and has warned them that the order will not be guaranteed in time unless they fork over more cash for a bigger bundle.

UPDATE: A SimplyGames rep has explained to a Eurogamer reader that PS4 pre-order companies must now pay for a more expansive bundle because the company has run out of standalone units.

However, the email adds, “We can confirm that the reason that we need you to select one of the new bundles is because we will not be receiving as many solus consoles as we first thought that we would be. We have therefore made a range of bundles available to you, the cheapest of which is the console-plus-game bundle that comes with either Killzone: Shadow Fall or Watch Dogs for £399.99.”

But, as Eurogamer flags up, the £399.99 price was not offered to customers initially. The cheapest alternative bundle was actually £414.99. So something’s still not stacking up.

More as we get it.

ORIGINAL STORY: Based in Britain, SimplyGames opened its PS4 pre-orders at £349.99 once they were available, but gamers over at the PS Blog EU forums have spoken out to say that the retailer has contacted them about grading-up their order.

Eurogamer has an image of the mailer here, with the subject field, “IMPORTANT! Your Playstation 4 order”

It states clearly, “WE NEED YOU to update your order,” and “You MUST make a new console choice.” In return you are guaranteed a PS4 at launch.

Those who entered at the £349.99 bracket are being told they have to now pay for a bundle in the £414.99-£469.99 range to guarantee a UK launch-day delivery, which is November 29. The more-expensive bundles include an extra DualShock 4, additional PS4 titles and third-party charger cables.

One PS Blog EU forum member Frowsen said of the issue, “I am in the same stituation – I do not think the price is overly expensive because there is now an extra controller but i didnt want this, is changing a pre order that had already been agreed even legal? This is a joke.”

Others are now questioning the legality of the move.

The initiative was confirmed to MCV. Simply Games director Neil Muspratt said of the matter, “We are aware of some fairly major inaccuracies that have been reported on various web sites. Whilst this is very regrettable, we have taken the decision not to get involved with internet speculation, rumours and untruths.

“We can confirm that ours is largely a retailer-lead initiative and on site we have listed a combination of Sony bundles and our own PS4 bundle offers. By and large these offers have been very well received, to the point at which our launch allocation has now all been sold through.”

Commenting on the SimplyGames bundles a Sony UK rep took a step back from the strategy, “We value our consumers and offered the bundles precisely to give them choice and value. And the key word there is choice. We have not nor would we ever force people to buy one of these instead. Sony is not and would not force anyone to buy something they don’t want.

“Since the announcement of these bundles we have been asking retailers to reach out to their pre-order customers to give them the choice of taking a bundle (which hadn’t been announced when they placed their original pre-order). We continue to work closely with our retail partners to ensure we offer this choice against the challenges of managing demand and inventory in the climate of amazing excitement and unprecedented demand for PlayStation 4.”

PlayStation 4 launches in the UK on November 29. What do you make of the above?

Via Joystiq.

1. fengato

Glad I’ve got two on order from two different retailers. Launch day should be interesting.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Why did you do that, out of interest? Are retailers unable to guarantee stock out-right? I’ve heard a few horror stories so far.

#2 10 months ago
  3. fengato

^ I’m in Oz – retailers here wil tell you that you’re guaranteed day one, but then you find out otherwise at the launch. It’s happened to me in the past, and I wanted to cover my bases. Easy to have a deposit refunded.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 Bloody hell that really sucks :( That must have been a real downer when it happened to you. I had a friend in a similar situation here in the UK. He thought his PS4 order was secure but then was told otherwise. He then had to scramble to find another one.

#4 10 months ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

Dave, there was an interesting comment made by MadLink on the PS4 Pre-Order forum thread that might shed some light on this. He/she worked in Games retail and was involved in a part of the pre-order process and the bundle invitations. I asked that if I was changing my pre-order from a Solus to a bundle, if that meant that someone further down the line would benefit from my un-needed Solus. Not so:

“The allocation for Phase 1 deposits (people who are getting their console on launch) is split 40/60 between single consoles and bundles.

Now most people want the bundles, but lets say that in some bizarre circumstance none of your customers wanted the bundles, well then there wouldn’t be enough single consoles to cover all of the Phase 1 deposits.”

Seems like shit really does roll downhill after all…retailers are being put in a position where they cannot guarantee free-standing PS4 stock as Sony themselves are pushing the stock into bundles. Sucks for the consumer, though most people I know have jumped at the bundle offers.

#5 10 months ago
  6. aseddon130

SimplyGames are robbing shits, not a few weeks ago when GTAV hit retail and sold out almost immediately they racked up their preorder price at £48 while Amazon were still guaranteeing day one release at £35. People took to their facebook post about it asking for justification, where they said ‘no other retail can guarantee day one release unlike us’ while was proven false almost immediately.

#6 10 months ago
  7. NiceFellow

Sucks for consumers but I suppose it’s positive for Sony in as much this indicates demand is high enough retailers feel they can pull stuff like this.

#7 10 months ago
  8. shadowAsurada

although this is a good thing for sony and retailers…i have a feeling the extra profit will not fall into sony’s hands in the end…in other words…the retailers want to be dicks with it and make as much profit as possible.

#8 10 months ago
  9. maria.ge17

til I saw the receipt ov $7550, I have faith that my best friend woz like truley taking home money parttime on their apple labtop.. there dads buddy haz done this 4 less than 7 months and by now cleard the loans on their place and got a great Ford. ==========>>>>>http://xurl.es/a7y2p

#9 10 months ago
  10. SplatteredHouse

“Sony has confirmed to trade paper MCV that it has nothing to do with the episode, but rumours suggest that distributor CentreSoft have forced the change in policy and are now only supplying SimplyGames with bundles” – metro.co.uk

“By and large these offers have been very well received” – it can appear that way if you censor your facebook page and other social media links of any dissention. (as has been reported to have taken place by readers posting in the MCV comments thread.)

#10 10 months ago
  11. SplatteredHouse

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85167595&postcount=21 < more details…Indie retailer = not direct from Sony (=bundle upsell).

"Amazon, Play, Game etc are all direct with Sony, Sony will cater for them far more than they will for supermarkets and Independent as the market share is piss all compared to the volume online sites sell." everybody else it seems, is stocked through Centresoft.

#11 10 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

@10 See MadLink’s info on @5, ties directly into that ;)

#12 10 months ago
  13. TheBlackHole

I ordered my Dreamcast, several games and a light gun (at launch) from these guys. They sent me TWO Dreamcasts instead, with no games.

I told them, so they sent the games and never asked for the second console back.

Win.

#13 10 months ago
  14. fengato

@13 Hilarious!

#14 10 months ago
  15. jon_

Here is my two cents on the matter.

All this case of changing the policy of a preorder and asking the customers to pay more it doesn’t seems legal. In other countries there was especulation that maybe there will not be enough standalone console bundles to cover the preorders on day one and that the customers will need to wait until second shipment on 2014. Besides I wonder if the store has like a “low price guarantee”? I guess not.

This could be the best option in a worse case scenario like this one. Paying more should not be mandatory. Of course that there will be some people who will want to pay a more expensive bundle just to have it on day one but i believe that there is also people willing to wait until the second shipment arrives.

At least what I know is that Sony will distribute enough consoles to cover 70-80% of the day one preorders in America, the remaining will need to wait until february 2014.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Playmaker

For Sony’s sake I hope they have walk in and buy units available on Black Friday. I preordered an XB1 and am looking fwd to it. But I planned on walking into a Bestbuy etc on Black Friday and possibly snagging a PS4. In the US a good chunk of sales SHOULD occur on the age ole tradition of waking up from the post turkey afternoon nap after a day of football to head out to the malls and wait for midnight. Sony’s made every right move so far so we will all see.

#16 10 months ago
  17. TheBlackHole

A pre-order is just an unofficial allocation of stock. That is unless they took some form of deposit, in which case it might be more difficult for them to justify forcing the changes.

Certainly they couldn’t change them to bundled deals with 3rd party items, like SG have.

They will know by the end of this what level of mistake they’ve made. The negativity around it won’t have escaped them, and they are a small business, so it may tangibly affect them too.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Hybridpsycho

Even though I was among some of the first to pre-order one at one of the larger Gamestop stores in Sweden I got a call yesterday saying that they wouldn’t be able to get me a PS4 until next year unless I upgraded to the killzone bundle (this still means I get it two weeks after release).

Considering I’ve used some deal to already pay most of the console (saving about 50%) its hard for me to go to another retailer. Kind of sucks but what are you gonna do huh?

#18 10 months ago
  19. Javinator

They do this because they know they can get away with it with the hardcore sony fanboys.

#19 10 months ago
  20. aseddon130

I’m shocked to see no PS3 fanboys saying ‘well its still kinda cheaper than Xbox One rahahaha’ etc…

#20 10 months ago