Square Enix announces community-focused development initiative called Collective

Tuesday, 8th October 2013 19:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Square Enix has announced a new community-focused initiative called Collective, in which the company plans to bring together both creators and the video game community to bring gaming concepts to market.

Collective will be used to showcase digital project ideas to the community, and if the ideas “resonate well.”

“It’s our way of trying to help small teams get creative, innovative and fun ideas to market,” Phil Elliott, head of the Collective community said in the announcement. “We’ll help them find funding and through all that, understand what we can add that’s actually, genuinely useful – and not just be a big publisher trying to muscle in on something that’s cool.

“We’ll use Collective to showcase digital project ideas to the community. If those ideas resonate we’ll look to take the development team through a due diligence process to provide reassurance that they have the expertise, tools and so on to be able to make the game they say they want to.

“Once that’s passed, we’ll support the team and game through a crowd-funding process via a special partnership with world-leading crowdfunding platform Indiegogo. If the project is fully funded, we’ll stay in touch throughout development and help distribute the game once it’s complete.”

Elliot said Square wants to “help find the next big thing and then be a part of helping it become even bigger,” and want the developers to walk off with the majority of sales revenue generated. The profits Square makes will be reinvested back into the platform.

“Most of all we want to help find new talent, and help cool, original ideas that might never have seen the light of day to find an audience, find support, and become reality,” he said. “We’ll also be opening up some of our older Eidos IP for developers to use in the submission of ideas.

“We’re really excited about what we might discover. We know there’s a lot of talent out there, and how hard it is to find a spotlight.”

More information on the Collective will be revealed at GDC Next which takes place November 5-7 at the LA Convention Center.

You can visit the official website for the initiative through here.

1. Panthro

A very un-square-enixy thing to do…

Bravo.

Im so used to seeing news of Square shutting down fan projects, hopefully the times are a-changing.

#1 10 months ago
  2. GrimRita

AKA ‘bang out of ideas’

#2 10 months ago
  3. salarta

This is first and foremost a PR repair stunt. Perception of Squeenix has tanked hard over the past decade over half-assed re-releases, insulting and terrible new entries and “sequels,” and in some cases remakes that butcher the original. Not to mention Squeenix’s history of shit like those cease and desist letters for the Chrono series fangames they only decided they needed to send out once sales of CTDS weren’t as high as they wanted, so they could try and force people to buy a re-release they didn’t want of a game they already had just to be able to get a new game.

Squeenix needs something to improve how consumers see them, and this is what they came up with. That’s literally the only reason for this project insofar as the people that greenlit it go. The people that actually do the work may be passionate and genuine, but the higher-ups are not. They’re just looking at it as a strategy to improve revenue so they can go back to ruining great IPs more often than their current pace of once or twice per year.

I really should be pleased and supportive of this, but I’m not. FFX-2 showed me that Squeenix can suck and will do so if they think they can make enough money off of sucking. 3rd Birthday showed me they care so little about their IPs that they will do absolutely anything and let hacks trash great IPs in the process at the slightest promise of money. And the new “Tomb Raider” showed me that any tie to Squeenix, no matter how minor, leads to rotting away the greatness of anything the company touches, from IPs to creative talent. I have no faith in Squeenix, and I have no faith that any development teams that join this Collective idea will not screw up or be screwed over in one way or another.

In sum, I don’t want this to succeed for one simple reason: Squeenix doesn’t deserve it. They suck too hard and are too unwilling to fix their mistakes.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Gheritt White

Salarta, just FYI, your rants – in which you always say exactly the same thing over and over – are the main reason I’ve stopped coming to this site. Just wanted you to know that you personally have driven a long-time reader elsewhere.

I assume that *was* your intention, right? ‘Cos we all heard you the first time.

#4 10 months ago
  5. salarta

@4: Since you said you’ve stopped coming to this site, which implies this likely being one of your last comments, I’ll make an exception and reply this time.

Your decision to not come to the site because of me is on you. It’s not my job to censor myself to please you, just like it’s not your job to agree with me any time I say that a game sucks. I’m not a moderator for VG247, I don’t write articles for VG247, and neither will happen. I am simply another reader and user of the site. If you can’t ignore another reader saying things you don’t like, that’s your problem, not mine. The only person here requiring you to make a choice between reading my comments or leaving the site, is you.

I will say that I do feel sorry for the people that put hard work in for VG247 that they might lose a long-time reader. But if you’re willing to drop the site over a single person saying things you don’t like in comment sections, no matter how many times they say it, even though you could very easily just scroll right on by to read what other people said, then you must not have been all that attached to the site in the first place. People attached to their communities don’t abandon them because they don’t like the things one person says at some town hall meetings.

#5 10 months ago