Enslaved: Odyssey to the West – Premium Edition pops up in AU classifications

Tuesday, 8th October 2013 23:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West may get another chance to win you over thanks to a special re-release, if we’re correctly interpreting a new Australian classification.

The Australian Classification Board posted an entry for something called Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition yesterday.

The details match exactly with that of the original release of the game, with Ninja Theory as developer; Namco Bandai as publisher; a multi-platform release (the original appeared on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360); and an M rating for science fiction violence.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was Ninja Theory’s second game, following on from the success of PS3 launch title Heavenly Sword. It launched in late 2010 and despite earning reasonable critical praise – a Metacritic above 80 on both platforms – it didn’t meet sales expectations and sank without a trace.

It had a lot going for it – loads of motion capture, Andy Serkis, terrific source material – and may have fallen victim to console cycle fatigue, which was just starting to hit its stride. We traced the game’s conception in a feature article I’m still quite proud of.

We’ve asked Namco Bandai for more information.

Thanks, AusVGClassifications.

1. YoungZer0

Ah, if there’s a game that defines the word “hidden gem” this is it.

#1 10 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

PC release would be nice with ultra mega textures.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Ireland Michael

@2 Why go with ultra-mega-textures when you could use super-mega-ultra-fantastic-hardcore textures instead?

#3 10 months ago
  4. Hcw87

It’s an underrated game for sure, like a 8/10 game.

Pretty sure most people overlooked it as a ~6/10 game.

EDIT: Metacritic is actually at 82%, so maybe it’s not as overrated as i thought. Still, i doubt many people played it.

#4 10 months ago
  5. YoungZer0

@3: Genius!

#5 10 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

#6 10 months ago
  7. Panthro

Awesome game, Deserves a sequel but I doubt they would…
    Seems very strange for a re-release really.

#7 10 months ago
  8. domnage

I remember when I still had an x360 I bought this one on my birthday back in 2010. No regrets, still in my mind to this day. Such an awesome story, the idea, characters and the world. This game is epic but yet so underrated.

Simply a must-play.

#8 10 months ago
  9. lexph3re

If the battle system had more depth and battle system was tighter I would say the game was great. Strength was in the story but even that appears to have been hit by budgets/time.

Would be a great game if those were improved.

#9 10 months ago
  10. batman

It did show up in the Steam registry at one point.

#10 10 months ago
  11. pcbros

Didn’t know it was the same company that did Heavenly Sword (that game had great cut-scenes). Still couldn’t believe Heavenly Sword escaped with a “Teen” rating though… some of those finishers were pretty brutal.

The original Enslaved was rated “Teen” via the ESRB, did something change? They stated in the article it’s listed as “Mature”.

@10 – I’d pick this up on Steam :)

#11 10 months ago
  12. absolutezero

I fucking love Andy Serkis.

Enslaved is great.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Keivz

Bought it. Played it. Enjoyed it. Kept it. Will likely play it again some day.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Francis O

The story is great, but the gameplay is sub-par

#14 10 months ago
  15. SplatteredHouse

Wow, if it were to come to Steam I’d buy it even though I got the CE on PS3 before. There’s a lot to like about Enslaved.

#15 10 months ago
  16. tcc

I wish I could pick all the choice bits out of Ninja Theory’s various games and leave behind the terrible junk, putting it together into a Frankenstein’s monster of an awesome game. There were moments of true brilliance in Enslaved, making its missteps even more agonizing by comparison. Still, I enjoyed the game very much despite its flaws. Here’s hoping NT will get it all right one day.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Henry

The story begins great. But I don’t like the later part of the game, where the Piggy joined and the plot turned to be too humorous. And then you, with only 3 guys, suddenly were able to defeat the villain that the whole humanity failed doing so.

#17 10 months ago
  18. HauntaVirus

Hell. Yes. PC please :)

#18 10 months ago
  19. YoungZer0

@16: They did. It’s called DmC.

#19 10 months ago
  20. Osric

You all read my mind. PC release, please! (Using the Disco Pigs shop scene intention).

#20 10 months ago