Gran Turismo 7 probably out in a year or two for the PlayStation 4 says producer Yamauchi

Friday, 13th September 2013 00:33 GMT By Ewan Miller

Speaking with Famitsu , the producer of Gran Turismo 6 Kazunori Yamauchi said that since the game is already “80%” finished, it should only be another year or two’s wait until a Gran Turismo 7 lands on the PlayStation 4. Check the quote after the break.

“The PlayStation 4 game which we’ll likely call GT7 will be done in about a year or two, I think, and I think the community aspect’s going to be vital there as well.”

Yamauchi went on to say that while the PS4 is obviously more powerful, the extra power didn’t excite him as much as it could because the PS3 is still quite capable.

“The PlayStation 4′s large memory size is a unique trait but in terms of CPU performance, the PS3′s Cell chip, while difficult to handle, is really capable. They both have different advantages. Besides, I think the online community aspect, one of the most fun parts of GT, doesn’t have anything to do with the platform.”

With such a short lead time after Gran Turismo 6, GT 7 will surely have to leverage on the former’s assets in a significant way, given how long Polyphony Digital normally take to make games.

Gran Turismo is in its final stretches and is set to be released on December 6 for the PlayStation 3.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. ysleiro

Read the first sentence 3 times. Don’t get it.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Francis O

I think he meant GT6 is 80% finished

#2 12 months ago
  3. xxJPRACERxx

Can’t wait! I really like Forza but I think GT is so much better!

After playing some Forza 4 this week I even think I’ll cancel my X1 pre-order. Forza 5 was the only game I really wanted and with GT6 coming in december I don’t think I’ll have time for both F5 and GT6.

It’s sad about the Cell CPU. Sure it was alien tech but now I think it was pretty well understood. PS4 with Cell 2 would have been great! Oh well…

#3 12 months ago
  4. II-WAR-STEINER-II

-__- Yamauchi what is wrong with you???

GT5 was quite good not perfect but ok, GT6 is a GT5.5 right… Then GT7 for PS4 is a GT6?

So Yamauchi you have to work ok for a better GT like GT4… I don’t wanna play your bullshit anymore if not…

And we need more cars not everytime 1200 japano cars like Nissan etc. plus better audio too

Anyway i think Yamauchi lost his skills -__-

#4 12 months ago
  5. pcbros

“since the game is already ’80%’ finished”

I hope this doesn’t mean that GT7 will be a port of GT6 with enhanced graphics.

I want a GT made from the ground up to take advantage of the PS4.

#5 12 months ago
  6. xxJPRACERxx

@5 80% complete is about GT6, not GT7.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Arnvidr

@1 @6 If GT6 was only 80% complete, it wouldn’t release for another year or two. You know how long these guys take in making their games. This probably means that they’ve been working on a PS4 game for many years, getting the tech ready for the next generation, and they’re 80% done with a finished game.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Belmont

This whole thing could have been phrased a bit better here. GT6 is 80% finished. GT7 will be “done” in a about a year or two.

Yamauchi said this about GT6:

” The basic components are already complete, so overall I’d have to say about 80 percent. The physics engine, the steering controls; those parts of the user interface are things that we fine tune-right up to the very end. Things like the game modes; I can say that those are complete.”

#8 12 months ago
  9. AngryConsumer

its gonna be awesome, i can barley wait for this one :)

#9 12 months ago
  10. pcbros

Yeah, GT6 cannot be 80% complete and release in December.

I’m confused… :)