UK Charts: Saints Row 4 holds top for third week, Rome 2 in at second

Monday, 9th September 2013 09:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Saints Row 4 has held its position at top of the UK charts for a third week running. Fellow heavyweight Farming Simulator has entered at ten. I’m neigh kidding.

Dianlo 3 is another new release, in at three. You can find out what I thought of the game in my appraisal here.

This week’s chart is as follows:

1. Saints Row 4
  16. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  17. Max Payne 3
  18. The Last of Us
  19. Madden NFL 25
  20. Tomb Raider

1. aseddon130

For a handheld console that is doing as badly as it is, Killzone Mercenary at 8 is rather suprising. Not suprising enough for me as it is an excellent game, maybe this is the time where the Vita picks up a bit of steam?

Farming Simulator at 10 however, makes me question people and their tastes ha.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Dragon246

^Agreed. Not to mention Vita has a 50% digital attach rate on average, although it will be lower for disk games.
    It wont sell megaton, considering Vitas install base, but it suuure is awesome. Best looking proper shooter on handheld.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Hirmetrium

I still can’t find a Vita for a decent price. Seems like a very slow price cut. If it was, I’d buy Killzone in heartbeat, so its not surprising to see it so high.

#3 8 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

I could already find a Vita for ~200€ before the GamesCon price-cut.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Llewelyn_MT

3 PC exclusives in Top 10? My, we are really dying out in style. :-P

#5 8 months ago
  6. Llewelyn_MT

Sorry, Farming Sim is now on consoles too. I’m so sorry for you guys…

#6 8 months ago
  7. AngryConsumer

only 3 pc exclusives, soon there will be none. the pc as a gaming rig is on the way out. it is about time i say, pc should go back to its office usage as it was in the beginning of ibm.

#7 8 months ago
  8. MFBB

#DAVE I wonder why are there never charts news anywhere for whole Europe or the rest of Europe?

Its always UK, which is only a small part.

The other big gaming countries France/Germany are never included, rest of Europe aswell.

I would love whole Europe charts.

#8 8 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Not surprised that Saints Row IV is holding the top spot. It’s a genuinely joyful little game, and so surprisingly not mainstream.

So long as mods and independent developers exist, and so long as the consoles are closed platforms, the PC will always have its place.

Pretty much every game that’s released for the PC has fixes that aren’t ever seen console-side, due to the closed nature of consoles. This isn’t an attack on consoles, per se, but rather closed platforms. Want an example? I was irritated slightly by the texturing bugs of the werewolf costume head in Saints Row IV, so I asked this lovely person over at SaintsRowMods.com if they’d fix it for me.

They did. And they did a splendid job of it, too. They actually improved upon the original mask. I bought them some DLC for that.

And then you have to look at the monopolistic, greedy nature of closed marketplaces. An indie developer can’t afford to put their game up on most consoles, and many indies which are ‘PC exclusive’ (like Megabyte Punch) will tell you that they are that way because releasing their game for a console is unaffordable, and they don’t want to be shackled with a developer.

On the PC, someone can develop a game and sell it right from their own website, or via a number of different, easy access storefronts like Desura. Steam, even, is very pro-indie and keeps the costs of listing down for them, which is a very different state of affairs to on the consoles, and the reason this is the way it is is because the storefronts have to compete with each other.

The PC is easier to patch for, too. This is why PC ports of games often get patches first and even more patches than their console bretheren. Skyrim is an example of that, as the patches always landed on the PC first. But why is this? Why would a big publisher/developer release their patches on the PC first?

Simple. The PC doesn’t have any hoops to jump through. To distribute a patch on a console, you have to actually pay to do so, then you have to go through a long, red tape-riddled process of getting it validated, which can take up to a month. Whereas on the PC you just land the patch and you’re done.

So long as the consoles are riddled with hurdles and impossibilities due to their closed nature, the PC will always have its place, no matter how much that might upset you.

#9 8 months ago
  10. TheWulf

I think it’s because the site is staffed by UK people, so they tell news from a UK-oriented perspective. I guess it just hadn’t occurred to them, or if it did, they don’t know how much it would appeal to their audience.

Start a petition! Get people to sign it and offer their thoughts. If there’s enough demand for it then I’m sure they’ll do it. They’re a very reasonable bunch.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

@8/10
    There is no official European chart thats why.
    Your best bet is here: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41518/Europe/

Topic at hand:
    Rayman Legends still doing good on all platforms and the fact that it is more successful on Wii U shows that there is a viable market for games of the platform although not all types of games and as for Killzone Mercenary it did better than i expected (No TV Ads) but the online presence is there and hopefully advertising picks up in fall.

Still waiting on the copy though to arrive.

#11 8 months ago
  12. DrDamn

Diablo 3 got release on consoles last week too.

#12 8 months ago