Xbox One development was not rushed, insists Major Nelson

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 11:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft’s Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hyrb has taken to Reddit to address concerns that Xbox One development has been rushed. He has stressed that this is not the case.

Conversing with users on this Reddit thread, Hyrb said, “The Xbox One program has been in development for years, so calling it ‘Rushed’ is incorrect. Did we have a few challenges between May and August? Sure. But we are working on our own schedule – not any one else’s. At Gamescom, every game in the Xbox booth was running on final Xbox One hardware. Every. Single. One. That would paint a very different take on the being ‘rushed.’”

The console has yet to be dated, although recent rumours suggest a late November launch.

What do you make of the above?

Via CVG.

1. VibraniumSpork

#1 11 months ago
  2. Fin

The entire development of X1 wasn’t rushed.

Were they caught off guard by Sony announcing in Feb, and have been on the backfoot since? Yep.
    Plus, their PR has been awful.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Johnnymaxx

I believe it wasn’t rushed to be announced at E3. I believe they had all of that planned out and Sony’s presentation in February didn’t affect them at all.

However, they are sure rushing as hell after E3 to create a new console and still keep the Holiday 2013 window.

#3 11 months ago
  4. sh4dow

Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M

Yeah, because a guy like that seems trustworthy.

#4 11 months ago
  5. CyberMarco

Time will tell…

#5 11 months ago
  6. MFBB

I agree with #3

They bascially changed the whole concept of the console after E3.

Which includes software changes for the whole ui/buy/register game progress and so on.

They are desperately trying to release close to the PS4 and already sacrificed many countries so they at least achive that in the most important ones.

#6 11 months ago
  7. livewired500

so it has been rushed. Considering nearly everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie, this seems like a confirmation to me.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Arcnail

I don’t know.. you have to feel that something isn’t right. Why don’t we know when it’s coming out yet?

Sony has played their cards, and I have a hard time understanding what edge Microsoft is getting right now by not saying anything. You wouldn’t have articles like this one if we knew when it was to be released….

#8 11 months ago
  9. Ekona

All projects get rushed at the end, regardless of what they are. I’ve personally never worked on a project that was a breeze towards the finish date, everything always goes mental!

Doesn’t mean that it won’t work out in the end. I’m sure there’s some PS4 guys out there pulling 16 hour days right now, too.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Playmaker

X1 has been planned for years. Do some research people. X1 and PS4 will experience some issues when they first launch like 100% of all new consoles and most new products. MSFT just appears more rushed b/c the internet trolls went crazy on their online policies. I plan on buying as many games as possible digital.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Major Mayhem 70

Oh I believe him when he says it’s not rushed. Cause they darn sure ain’t in a rush to release a launch date either.
    I’m going total digital with the X1 as well. PS4 I’ll keep it old school and stay with the disk copies and just download the indies.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Dragon246

Btw, he is the same guy who said PAX will have BF4 on X1 playable.
    Instead we got Windows 8 PC with X1 controllers running BF4.

So yeah, not very trustworthy.

#12 11 months ago
  13. pcbros

It don’t think it washed rushed.

In my opinion, they had to make a bunch of u-turns because Sony chickend out last minute. I honestly believe Sony was going to have a similar DRM system and they decided to dump it to gain popularity (and it worked).

I think the game industry (excluding consumers and Gamestop) wants to move to a DRM system. It would mean less piracy and more profits for developers.

We as consumers don’t care. We don’t care if developers make less money. We don’t care about game piracy. We don’t care about Gamestop possibly making more profits on games than the actual developer.

But if you worked for a game developer and with that money you provided for your family, you too would be singing a different DRM tune.

Apple (iTunes) and PC (Steam) have embraced DRM. And last I checked, everyone is ok with it. No one complains they can’t trade their iPhone or Steam games. But for some reason console consumers are more demanding.

#13 11 months ago