Total War: Rome 2 concurrent players peak at three times that of Shogun 2

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 23:38 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Just one day from launch, Total War: Rome 2 is already three times as popular as previous entry Shogun 2.

According to SteamGraph, backed up by Steam’s own stats page, Rome 2′s concurrent players topped out at over 118,000 on its first day.

Meanwhile, Total War: Shogun 2, previously the most successful game in the series to date, had a peak concurrency of about 38,000. Today, Shogun 2 had a peak of about 8,000 concurrent players – not so many more than Empire: Total War.

Of course, day-one players is not an indication of longterm sales, which could still see Shogun 2 retain its rank, but Rome 2 charted this week and is also reviewing very well, which is a good sign.

Thanks, PCGamesN.

1. DSB

Yeah, that’s a really high turnout.

I think it’s depressing to read the reviews though. It seems to me like there are basically two kinds of reviewers: The guys who care to notice when something is terribly wrong, and the guys who don’t.

I’m yet to jump into it myself, so I can’t exactly say for sure, but it really sounds like the Creative Assembly games of yore when you read about broken AI and stupid bugs like units sticking to your cursor.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Diingo

You pretty much need a super computer built by NASA to play this game. People are saying how their i7 GTX Titan 16GB RAM beasts can’t even handle this game on medium with a steady framerate.

Which means that Creative Assembly was probably working with the absolute top tier hardware to make this game function. Basically… they made a game that’s going to easily last another 10 years which explains why only a handful of people can actually play it without 15-20 FPS lagfest.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Yoshi

@2 Wow Diingo, would you like a napkin to wipe your mouth from all that shit you’re talking?

#3 1 year ago
  4. domnage

A Titan? 16 gigs of RAM? This is one of the most stupidest things I’ve heard in a while.

#4 1 year ago
  5. GrimRita

The game is suffering from the same ugly graphics that Shogun 2 had at launch but CA left out DX11 support there.

I can run the game at a decent frame rate with 16GB of ram onboard and 2 6870s o/c but the game doesnt support x-fire.

Most of the bitching issues are from those who whack it up to Ultra then expect their fucking notebook to handle it.

Either way, the game is ugly as fuck and looks nothing like the videos, so #2 is probably right.

But the game is haunted with the same old shit from previous TW games. No one wants to trade, no one wants to work deals and game play has been dumbed down so much now that I am already bored of it after one days play.

This is mostly certainly the last TW game I purchase on day one because I am sick of CA releasing half baked games, leaving everyone to wait 6 months for fixes.

This is why I hate it when Sega announce a release date months in advance, then ready or not, the turd is pushed out.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

Played about an hour last night, game looked fine and played fine for me.

Pretty standard machine running it to. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GrimRita

@6 I think its those trying to run the game on Ultra and their systems just cant handle that.

For me, I am used to TW games looking superb but Shogun 2(had no DX11 support) and the campaign map looked like vomit as with Rome 2, it looks exactly the same. So they clearly have issues with DX11.

Then 6 months later, they released a ‘fix’ with DX11 and then I played Shogun 2 again and it looked a lot better, then I stopped playing it because it was just and awful game when compared to the depth of Empire.

Other than that, I don’t have any issues

#7 1 year ago
  8. FizzyDrink

Games Awesome!
    I loved the total war series and they did a great job perfecting up to this point. The layout is much different then the original so it takes getting used to. Game runs smooth and battles are intense. If you try to run the graphics on ultra you may encounter plenty of issues however high settings or windowed mode seems to fix all of it!

If graphics are all you care about you are playing this game for the wrong reasons xD

#8 1 year ago
  9. Uncontested

“No one wants to trade, no one wants to work deals” Yeah it is getting annoying.. the only people that want to deal, trade or client state are about to get butt raped. I make a non-aggression pact with a civ and the very next turn they declare war.. makes no sense.

I love the game otherwise, but ffs the whole world declaring war on me for no reason.. Seriously civs i’ve never encountered and are on the other side of the map… annoying. lol

#9 1 year ago