Knack inspired by Crash Bandicoot, easy mode designed to be someone’s “first game”

Friday, 30th August 2013 03:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

SCE Japan Studio created a triple-sized Dual Shock 4 when designing Knack to get the feel for how it might feel to a child; just one of a number of interesting anecdotes from this developer diary.

Creator Mark Cerny – who also happens to be the lead PS4 system engineer, just FYI – discusses his inspiration for the game. He wants to capture the feeling of games like Crash Bandicoot, and to provide that kind of old-school challenge. At the same time, the game’s easy mode is supposed to cater to kids who have never used a control pad before. Quite an ambitious design brief.

Knack is a PlayStation 4 exclusive due when the system launches in November.

1. Templar_Dante

Mark Cerny, Brenna :)

#1 11 months ago
  2. jeffb01

okay, okay… I’ll buy it along with a second controller. I wasn’t really planning on it, but with a 6 year old daughter, it just might be perfect for us.

#2 11 months ago
  3. fearmonkey

That’s the first time I have heard that the PS4 does screenshots as well as video. I was hoping for that, I figured it could but wasn’t sure.

I am looking forward to playing this title, its one thing I missed on the Xbox 360, there wasn’t that many platformer games like this.

#3 11 months ago
  4. TF_PtMaster

I find this game so gorgeous. Day one buy.

#4 11 months ago
  5. KAP

Alot of people think the same way, one genre on 360 over shadows most which is a shame but I guess its done them well..

I for one prefere where Sony is heading for next gen, I wont be getting Knack on launch but I can appreciate there thinking for the title, this could possibly be our younger generations Crash or even Mario maybe, who knows… I mean who are we to say otherwise.

#5 11 months ago
  6. gomersoul

I wasn’t too bothered about knack but I’m becoming more interested all the time. Crash bandicoot was awesome. Not sure if it will beat sackboy to becoming the face of kids ps4, that guy is everywhere, kids love him.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Biscuitpants

graphics are shit and it looks more like a lego game, shit even have the lego sound in it

#7 11 months ago
  8. amiga500

@Biscuitpants

Buy new eyeglasses man…..

The game looks GEORGEOUS especially for a platform game!!!!

#8 11 months ago
  9. Unknown_Gamer

Biscuitpants , GTFO Anti-playstation

#9 11 months ago
  10. polygem

only launch game i’m interested in. not sure about it though. could be hit or miss.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Biscuitpants

@9 i have a ps3

#11 11 months ago
  12. silkvg247

Not really seeing anything my PC couldn’t do three years ago.. :p

#12 11 months ago
  13. DrDamn

I’m slowly warming to it. Looks a little linear but that’s not necessarily a bad thing if as suggested there are lots of little hidden areas to find. Will be a nice one to play with my little boy too. I’d like to see it more realistically priced though. Small team, no online element. I don’t like to see every reasonably sized game just hitting the £50-55 mark.

Sony have experimented with a good variety in pricing on Vita games, and more recently on PS3, I’d like to see that continue on PS4 too – this seems like a good example of what should be a mid priced game. £20-£30 for the digital version and a demo to try it out would convince me to buy I reckon.

#13 11 months ago
  14. DrDamn

Care to name any of those PC games doing this 3 years ago? I’m struggling to think of any substantial 3D action platformer on the PC recently.

#14 11 months ago
  15. viralshag

@14, I was going to ask the same thing.

I think this game looks great, if you were getting a PS4 I don’t know why you wouldn’t get this…

#15 11 months ago
  16. TF_PtMaster

@14&15 same here.

#16 11 months ago
  17. silkvg247

I don’t believe I mentioned of the same genre? PC isn’t really my platform of choice for action platformer.

But in terms of graphical quality & lots going on then yeah, we’ve been there for three years if not more. You want a list of games out from back then that looked as good if not better?

Anyway it was just a general dig that I’m fed up with all the next gen stuff, and I’m fed up with how dull it all actually really is since we’re finally at that place where technology isn’t really advancing at any kind of exciting pace anymore. The next gen of consoles are literally the PC’s of two or three years ago and sorry but I do find that mildly depressing as a gamer. Wish I understood how others can be excited.

#17 11 months ago
  18. DrDamn

@Silk
    “I don’t believe I mentioned of the same genre?”

Well isn’t that the point? It’s a game we are talking about, not how many polys it pushes. A PC may well have been able to do this a few years ago, the fact that it wasn’t and still isn’t because of the genre is a great example of why it’s not just about the powah!

#18 11 months ago
  19. pcbros

I think it’s nice they are thinking of the kids :) I didn’t know Knack was multiplay though.

I actually played this at E3. The graphics were nice but nothing special (could have been an early build). I’m trying to recall, but I don’t think it ran at 60fps.

But what worried me the most was the gameplay. It seemed a bit generic. I think it lacks clever and challenging level design. It was a demo, so maybe other parts will be better.

It does seem like a lot of platform games recently revolve around button mashing and collecting coins.

When I think of a platformer, I quickly think of games like Super Mario and Rayman that had fun and challenging levels. I like to feel a level of accomplishment when I beat a level.

#19 11 months ago