Nintendo of America head says “meh” to PS4 & Xbox One launch line-ups

Thursday, 29th August 2013 09:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Reggie Fils-Aime isn’t impressed with the launch line-ups of both PS4 and Xbox One, and has stated that Nintendo’s current slate is ahead of its competitor’s.

In an IGN interview, Fils-Aime was asked for his thoughts on the yesterday’s Wii U price-cut announcement and what incentives there are to get new customers on board with the format. He replied, “It’s all about the games. The competitive systems have announced their launch lineups. I’m allowed to say ‘Meh’.

“I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup. We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we’re putting out there for the consumer.”

In the end, Fils-Aimes said all he wants is to give consumes fun gaming experiences. “We’ve got cloud technology that we’re delivering with Wii U. Nintendo TVii is all cloud-based technology. But the difference is, we don’t talk about the tech. We talk about the experience.

“We make sure that the consumer has fun with the game experiences that we provide. And so I think as you compare and contrast Nintendo with other players in the space, for us it’s about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech.”

Also in Nintendo-land, the company just announced the Nintendo 2DS handheld. Get images, details and a trailer here.

1. The_Red

He’s not wrong. Sure, Wii U had a terrible launch as well but that doesn’t mean PS4 or Xbone have anything great to offer for their launches either.

I like Dead Rising 3 but that’s it.

#1 8 months ago
  2. polygem

same here. actually not one game on either system that i really want to play. wiiu and 3ds’s fall, winter, spring lineup has at least 7 games that i really want to buy day one…

#2 8 months ago
  3. matirishhh

I can’t stand this fella, he always talks rubbish. I will never forget an interview with Geoff on GT when asked about ARKHAM CITY ARMORED EDITION he replied that it is a completely New and different game from the ones available on other consoles. He can say so much crap. I will not buy WIIU until I see at least three Awesome Games. Pikmin and Wonderful69 no thanks…Wind Waker finished already…mario kart is the only titles that would be safe and sound.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Bashtee

@2 well, give sony and microsoft a year and we’ll see about the games. The drive behind ps4 and xbox one from 3rd-parties is just huge.

Including 3rd-parties the lineup is pretty impressive, for both consoles. The Wii U got a handful of ports of games, which already released on other consoles/PC months before the launch.

#4 8 months ago
  5. KAP

Hahahahaaa, Nintendo are in so much trouble its unreal… If only a “meh” can make this nightmare drift away right nintendo…. hmm yea lol

#5 8 months ago
  6. DrDamn

TVii – almost forgot it existed on WiiU … maybe that’s because it still isn’t supported in Europe nearly a year after release?

“We talk about the experience.” – because allowing your customers to actually experience it would be a bit too much?

#6 8 months ago
  7. mistermogul

“It’s all about the games.”

Yes but Reggie, it HASN’T been all about the games this last 9 months though has it?!

#7 8 months ago
  8. Hcw87

It’s funny that he says that, and at the same time he says ”We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong.”

Exactly the same games as they kept releasing 20 years ago. Innovate allready. And release a next gen console, or you’re fucked.

#8 8 months ago
  9. viralshag

@8, You say that but you know the WiiU will bounce back and then they’ll all be like “hahaha and you all though Ninty were dead!”

It’s going to be the 3DS all over. Price cut will help. Which is what EVERYONE has been saying is needed and then Nintendo fans will act like that was the plan all a long. To have terrible console sales, followed by terrible game sales, followed by a price cut when you’re already making a loss…

Magic.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Hcw87

I doubt they will bounce back from this. The WiiU is a commercial failure, and the sooner they realize that, the better.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Clupula

Reggie, you need two legs before you start talking trash and trying to enter the ass-kicking contest.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Clupula

Seriously, though, I hate Reggie and his stupid giant pumpkin head.

#12 8 months ago
  13. wicktus

@4 If for you developping a game for ps4 AND x1 (because yeah they’re pretty much all multiplatform) it would tkae WAY much time than developping it for the wiiU.

With the price cut, the software updates and the system sellers games that will be released before Q3 2014 : wiiU is commited to a success it’s 3DS all over again.

And developpers will soon realise that developping and marketing AAA+ games won’t always be benefic for them it takes a LOT of times and ressources and next to that you’ll have a wiiU with a solid consumer base that doesn’t need 4 hours of cinematic and 3 Engines to bring you money.

I’m already afraid for Destiny which looks like a very good games, this thing has been in developpement for a LONG time, it’s an online experience which means lot of servers and maintenance. So I’m pretty sure that like Tomb raider the expectation are unrealistically high.
    (Thus they could port it to wiiU too….)

#13 8 months ago
  14. viralshag

I’m actually surprised he’s even comparing Nintendos year-after-launch line-up to that of consoles literally about to launch. It’s true, I’d like to see the line up of all three “next-gen” consoles in a years time.

It will probably be something like: “who needs third party? We have MORE MARIO, MORE DONKEY KONG, MORE ZELDA! MORE OF THE 20 YEAR OLD THINGS YOU KEEP BUYING OUR CONSOLES FOR!”

#14 8 months ago
  15. wicktus

You have to admit that those franchise : Mario etc have a HUGE success on the gaming market. Just like COD and BF they’re successful people want more so they bring more why Nintendo should be different for You !?

The new Zelda on the wiiU WILL bring innovation just like the new Mario kart, new innovation doesn’t mean new 1P especially, It’s wrong,…

I’d really like a new crash bandicoot, a new syphon filter, a burnout, beyond good and evil on the newt gen, I wouldn’t mind at all in fact :).

#15 8 months ago
  16. Obernox

He is right you know, aside from PS4′s Killzone SF and Xbox One’s Crimson Dragon, all the good stuff is post launch.

#16 8 months ago
  17. orakaa

Yeah… If I were in his shoes, I wouldn’t criticize Sony and Nintendo about the games available. Sure both launch line up are not that great, but Wii-U has been out for almost a year now and hasn’t got a lot of interesting games. They had a worst launch line-up and since then they haven’t released a lot of interesting stuff

#17 8 months ago
  18. viralshag

@15, What I will admit, based on the last video about their line-up, is that the Mario, DK and Luigi games pretty much all look the same. Yeah, ok, Nintendo are king are fun platformers and that’s great but surely there’s a limit to how much fun you can have on side scrolling games collecting coins, stars and bananas?

Yeah, they make good games, polished and fun. Do I personally think they add a lot or push this industry forward? Not really.

#18 8 months ago
  19. Clupula

@18 – Heretic! Blasphemer! Infidel! They are Nintendo products so they automatically innovate! Back to the texts with you!

#19 8 months ago
  20. viralshag

#20 8 months ago
  21. wicktus

@19 go play COD :).

Well you have your opinion and I respect It but It might be too soon to say that nintendo didn’t add a lot to the industry with the WiiU.

In the past they revolutionised the industry from the NES to the DS :).

Super smash still has a lot to show and prove so to know wether it’s just an HD copy of brawl or not is hard to tell.

Mario kart seems to add a lot to the franchise with influence from Fzero and 1080p/60fps.
    Same goes to Mario world with a new dimension it’s all 3D no more scrooling and many initiatives regarding coop. It’s not a revolution but a nice initiative.

I like Nintendo i can’t really be objective but I don’t think I’m wrong by saying that the wiiU is a big innovative step for Nintendo’s main franchises.

I don’t know why but I feel that the new Zelda (not the HD remake)will really be different from the others.

#21 8 months ago
  22. polygem

wow guys…just play the games you like. you got a serious ego problem if you feel like pissing all over every single nintendo article. i get it. you don’t like their games. you are real men…ffs be cool, be clear, be straight. stop playing videogames at all then. you don’t like nintendo systems. fine. don’t buy them. it’s simple. i enjoy my windwaker remake, dk, yoshi, pikmin and kirby games. i don’t want yet another hardcore console that plays mario games too.

#22 8 months ago
  23. viralshag

@Poly, Come on now. You come into most next-gen XB1/PS4 threads with barely anything that resembles positivity regarding the consoles or the games and usually end up saying “WiiU/3DS is my gaming combo”.

There’s absolutely no rule anywhere saying any discussion regarding Nintendo must be positive. If people have criticisms for whatever reason you can’t just go around bashing them and labelling them as “dudebro gamers”.

All other consoles receive criticism and quite frankly, the few Nintendo defenders on this site that try to stop anyone having a discussion about Nintendo that isn’t all flowers and bunny rabbits is getting a little ridiculous.

#23 8 months ago
  24. Belmont

What Reggie is saying is absolute rubbbish,typical of CEOs everywhere. the same way that Apple’s CEO finds AMOLED displays stupid, and Nokia CEO finds android meh and …

I think that any nintendo console is (and will always be, probably) only about Nintendo games and franchises (Mario and …) and third parties will always remain a side dish. It will also always be about games with new design, don’t expect new technologies,online and realistic graphics, those things are on PS4/XOne. Everyone picks up what they like,simple as that. I can’t bitch about it that much. But that is what ninty is.

I agree, It’s not like nintendo shouldn’t be criticised. To say that “Don’t buy” kills the whole point.

#24 8 months ago
  25. Biscuitpants

i agree with him tbh

#25 8 months ago
  26. Joe Musashi

I’m glad he’s come out and said this. If only to show anyone who act like Nintendo are above sniping and throwing jabs at the competition that, no, they’re no better.

“We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101″

This says so much. Not just the words but the ordering too. This is where Nintendo’s thinking is in a nutshell.

JM

#26 8 months ago
  27. Sini

Trash line up, fils aime is just mad because he is bolding at an alarming rate. WHen you look at it objectively, you have hd rerelease of the weakest console zelda, a mario that looks like it was moved from 3ds, and dkc game that has alarming been put on dec and price reduced. Lastly, pikmin is a niche flop that took over 3 years to develop, yet another reason why Iwata needs to step down; no one should ever green light a niche product to be released in the first 1-2 years of a console cycle when manufacturer’s number one job is to drive the install base of the system. 3+ years of development time squandered because Miyamoro wanted to make his pet retirement project.

#27 8 months ago
  28. Clupula

@21 – Oh, Dickus, you know me so well.

Is there any bigger fan of the COD series on this board than I?

Why, everyone knows that I’m just gushing with positivity over Call of Duty. Hahahahaha.

Seriously, I love how just because one finds Fils-Aimes a ridiculous pumpkin-shaped blowhard, I simply must be a huge fan of Call of Duty.

Maybe you should take a look at what other genres the Wii U is lacking in…

Oh, like…

ALL OF THEM!

JRPG’s! Fighting games! Adventure games! Beat-em-ups! Shoot-em-ups!

Genres I am a fan of, which I have an abundance of this Fall.

Combine that with genres I’m not into like racing games, sports games, and yes, FPS, then the Wii U has a whole lotta nothing.

Suck it, fanboy. Me saying Iwata needs to step down is because, unlike you, I don’t have brand loyalty. I like gaming, in general, and I want Nintendo to do well, because the better one company does, the better the competition does, and the better it is for the consumer.

You Nintendo apologists don’t understand that Nintendo doing as shitty a job as they’re doing and now having the balls to be arrogant about it, just hurts gaming as a whole.

#28 8 months ago
  29. Lengendaryboss

Hm? I think he should watch his words: the majority of the lineup on PS4 and Xbox One is also available on Wii U and calling their lineups “meh” doesn’t sound positive for third party publishers to listen to.

Anyway Reggie your weak third party lineup is meh and your first party support is aimed at the Family: so work on both before dissing.

@Viral
    LOL at flowers and bunny rabbits :P

#29 8 months ago
  30. Clupula

And wait a minute! Didn’t the shitstain that called me a Call of Duty fan also go on about how much HE was hoping that Destiny, a game I have no interest in, is ported to the Wii U?!?

You hypocritical bottom feeding plankton.

#30 8 months ago
  31. wicktus

hey clupula can you see further than the tip of your nose ?
    I do like gaming in general I preordered a ps4. But the wiiU has a LOT of games coming but haters gonna hate….At least nintendo have always been loyal to their fanbase and what hurts the gaming world isn’t Nintendo arrogance but crappy smartphone games, DLC, microtransactions, Pay for Win, CODised games, anti-secondhand policy ALL OF which have been put in Front by the other manufacturers especially Apple and Microsoft. But above all what hurts the industry the most is the image aggressive people like you give to this very industry :). “I like gaming in general my a##” can’t wait to spill your poison on nintendo can’t you ?

#31 8 months ago
  32. Clupula

I shoot my poison wherever it deserves to go. If I were less mature, I’d turn that into a joke about shooting sperm into your eye, but since I am an adult, I won’t do that.

Nintendo have been shitting the bed since the N64. I had hoped the Wii U would turn it around and actually offer something worth buying, and just yesterday I said if I could play 3DS games on the Wii U, I’d buy one.

But you can’t see further than the tip of Reggie’s cock, so that might explain why you don’t see any of that.

#32 8 months ago
  33. Lengendaryboss

“Haters gonna hate”? Just like Nintendo defenders hate on any negative/controversial opinion remotely related to Nintendo or an opinion they don’t like. The sheer hypocrisy of it all.

#33 8 months ago
  34. viralshag

@33, +1.

#34 8 months ago
  35. viralshag

Double post but I agree so much here #33, +1 again.

#35 8 months ago
  36. polygem

@viral. no man, i criticise x1 and ps4 right now because i don’t feel excited about them. i have praised tlou mp recently. demons souls as well, also sonys indie push, i want to get my hands on pvz garden warfare as soon as i can. i love the look of the x1 pad, i have both systems on preorder. i told you before. i like what i like no matter what system. atm i think nintendo are very hot. they got the games i enjoy the most. by FAR. that doesn’t mean i have to piss all over every single ms or sony thread. if i do that from time to time atm it’s because i don’t like a lot of the games/ services they are focussing on right now. simple as that. i don’t exclusively do that though. i give them lots of credit too.
    but actually, i really don’t feel like fighting about that yet again. have nice day everyone. it’s only games. sorry if i was a dick ;)

#36 8 months ago
  37. viralshag

@36, And I give Nintendo credit where it’s due. But this statement made by Reggie really doesn’t deserve any. Just like I don’t think their 2DS does either.

W101, Pikmin, 3DS and Pokemon is where I’ll give them credit and say “hey, that all looks great” but the majority of the rest of it looks boring and completely uninteresting to me.

#37 8 months ago
  38. wicktus

That’s far more constructive than what you wrote previously. The 2DS is indeed a joke and a horrible one ^^ !

PS: add to your list of unboring games Fire Emblem Super smash and zelda maybe ^^

#38 8 months ago
  39. Clupula

Smash doesn’t interest me. Wonderful 101 is probably the first Platinum title I looked at and said, “Meh” to (although I never picked up Anarchy Reigns because I found out I would have been stuck with that awful soundtrack).

At this moment in time, there’s a total of three Wii U titles I have interest in and one of them hasn’t even had a single screenshot and none of them have release dates.

Bayonetta 2, X, and Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.

If there were 17 more titles like that, I’d probably own one. But those are few and far between.

#39 8 months ago
  40. viralshag

@38, It’s not really. It’s simply more positive. I still find Mario, Donkey Kong and the like utterly boring.

I would add games specifically but I only WANT the 3DS, I don’t actually own one so I can’t say what is good or not. I don’t game on the go enough to justify buying a 3DS, especially when I have so many unfinished games on Steam to play and I’m buying a new console in a few months.

#40 8 months ago
  41. CPC_RedDawn

Trust me when I say this, Nintendo are not going anywhere. According the inside analysts such as Micheal Pacther who, as much as people sometimes hate him, he knows his stuff and earns millions in the process. People like him see just how much money Nintendo have in the bank, somewhere in the region of 10-15 BILLION DOLLARS!!!! Apparently they could survive another 50 years making hardware and have at least another FIVE failed consoles before they even look at their bank account and think… “oh ok, enough is enough lets go third party only”. Even then they have without a doubt the strongest first party IP in the industry so they will still be making money for a long time.

#41 8 months ago
  42. absolutezero

The supposed lack of innovation Nintendo is being crucified here for (because new IP automatically means innovation amirite) is endemic in console gaming as a whole. Theres fuck all new on any of the consoles.

You dislike collect’em’up Platformers and action RPGS? Well I dislike shooting dudes and cars, what fucking now?

Really theres nothing to get all that excited about on the WiiU and both of the Next Gen consoles.

Apples and Oranges if you can look at Killzone 4 or Zombie game 502 and see innovation then look at the new 3DS Zelda and see the same game from 20+ years ago then I kinda worry a little bit.

#42 8 months ago
  43. Dragon246

@Viral, LB,
    If any guy from Sony, MS and Ninty takes the cake for sounding most ridiculous, it has to be Reggie, followed by Iwata and Miyamoto.
    Its better they get down their high horse after 30 year old sequels. Its really ironic how Ninty defenders lambast COD, BF , AC and every MS and Sony franchise for “OH SEQUELITIS SYMDROME, NOTHING NEW” while in the same vein play 30 YEAR OLD SEQUELS of mario, zelda, pikmin and so on.
    Hypocrisy at its best.

#43 8 months ago
  44. absolutezero

Nah its more like people looking from the outside in and trying to call games they’ve never ever played rehashes.

Really because Mario being the main character means Mario Galaxy is the same game as Mario Bros and lazy or whatever.

Get fucked. If you have no interest what so ever in what Nintendo games actually are then don’t spout ignorant stupid bile. Its childish in the extreme and makes you look silly.

#44 8 months ago
  45. viralshag

Nah it’s more like me looking at the same little podgy man in a red hat I enjoyed playing back in 1990 and thinking, “yeah, that really doesn’t do it for me anymore. What else you got Nintendo?”

And their reply is “We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong.”

Outside of those titles, Pikmin and W101 is about the only interesting looking games to me but not enough to buy a console for.

#45 8 months ago
  46. Clupula

Yup. Nintendo are immune from criticism. Got it.

#46 8 months ago
  47. absolutezero

Well thats fair enough its not like their going to release Super Mario Deathmatch Arena anytime soon.

If you get hung up on the aesthetics of games enough to stop you playing something thats actually really really good then fair dues. Go for it.

You might get sick at the sight of Mario but I can’t think of any other series that has the same level of consistent quality through out all of its main entries. What I seem to be reading from this thread (not from you Viral I’ll add) is that the mere presence of Mario makes a game objectively worse, no thought put into actual deconstruction of the game itself but just “MUH MARIO, MUH REHASH”.

#47 8 months ago
  48. absolutezero

You think thats criticism?

We need you writing video game journalism articles post stat.

#48 8 months ago
  49. Clupula

@41 – And I actually cast a lot of doubt on your claim that Nintendo have the strongest 1st party titles. Sony’s beat them in creativity, diversity, and variety of genres, easily. Nintendo are 90% family friendly. Sony have family friendly games, but they also have something for everyone.

I don’t like every first party title they put out (I still think ripping off Smash Brothers in Playstation All Stars was a huge mistake when they should have gone with a traditional 2.5D fighter, I coyld give a fuck about Killzone, Gran Turismo, and Knack), but there’s still so much to love that I don’t think Nintendo can even compete creatively anymore.

Another year, another Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Galaxy, Mario Sunshine, Mario 3D, Mario & Luigi, Mario & Sonic Go to the Olympics, Mario’s Prostate Exam Adventure. They’re creatively bankrupt at the moment, just constantly shitting out whatever old man Miyamoto scrawls on the walls in his own excrement.

#49 8 months ago
  50. Lengendaryboss

@47/48
    Whether or not you like to hear this stuff, whether or not your denying Mario, Zelda etc etc are the focus for Nintendo for god knows how long. Doesn’t matter, when it comes to criticism Nintendo shouldn’t be left out because of a bunch of Nintendo defenders coming in and defending no matter the current situation, you don’t see PlayStation/Xbox fanboys defending criticism of their products if its in a bad state, they don’t continually say when Game A, B, C, D, E launches things will be fine over and over again. But when it comes to Nintendo its forbidden?

No Nintendo should take criticism just because they are perfect in your eyes don’t equal what everyone thinks they should improve on.

#50 8 months ago
  51. viralshag

I was going to add this in the last comment but I’ll just put it here. In addition to what I said it’s really not my fault (or Nintendo’s, although maybe a little) that I have grown away from liking characters like Mario, DK and the rest of their roster. While Nintendo have remained so loyal, imo almost too loyal to those brands, that it almost overshadows anything else that comes to their consoles.

I’m not a big platformer fan and that’s one of Nintendo strong points and often where some of their best games lie. I’m also not really a fan of their art styles but there are exceptions when I find something that strikes home – eg W101. All of the side scrolling Mario, DK, Luigi games do not do anything for me.

So yes, while there ARE good games. There aren’t enough good games I WANT. But I still don’t think they are above criticism when they make comments like the above that come across as arrogant after a rather poor year for their main home console.

#51 8 months ago
  52. absolutezero

Which is fair enough, but have you played any of them? (@ Culp)

It might be another entry in the same series, which is fair enough to get fed up with but the quality of the games themselves have never ever dropped. So Mario Kart 7 might have been the 7th Mario Kart but its still a superb game and the best Karting series going. Look at the reviews for Mario Kart Wii then compare it to LittleBigPlanet Karting, a game whose very existence is thanks to the horrible rehashing bastards.

I’m not blindly defending Nintendo, I’m trying to make your criticism stronger by actually commentating on the quality of the titles themselves without falling back on moaning about innovation in player characters, which is all it really is.

“you don’t see PlayStation/Xbox fanboys defending criticism of their products.”

HA HA HA HA HA

#52 8 months ago
  53. Lengendaryboss

i’m sorry that was phrased wrong i meant as much as Nintendo defenders. Also the point i was making is that Nintendo isn’t this special company that should be left out when criticising just because Nintendo defenders can’t deal with it.

#53 8 months ago
  54. Clupula

@52 – Super Mario Brothers 3 used to be one of my favorite games when I was in some grade or the other. I’ve also played Mario Party (which really is a game that just makes you hate everyone else playing), Mario Kart (which I didn’t like…but I don’t like kart racers period, whether they’re Mario or LittleBigPlanet or ModNation), Mario Galaxy, and a couple others.

The thing is, I was tired of the Mario character when I was in high school. It’s part of why I got a Genesis. I graduated 20 years ago and they’re still sticking the character everywhere. I’ve said it before, I would have loved to have seen, say, Mario Galaxy be a totally new ip with the same gameplay. Same with 90% of the titles that Nintendo intends on sticking their franchise character on. It seems like they’re afraid to branch out and try something new. That’s my big complaint about the lineup.

#54 8 months ago
  55. absolutezero

No one said that.

Dismissing high quality games completely and passing off one specific aspect of the titles as high level criticism is churlish.

Disliking Ninty games because you are fed up of the Mario re-use is perfectly fine, trying to claim that the games are somehow bad as games is ignorant because despite it being a Mario title Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the best games of the last ten years. Based on gameplay, level design, audio and presentation. The main things that make games medium that they are.

#55 8 months ago
  56. Professor Zoom

It’s all about the games, Reggie, but you don’t have the games. And you’ve never had them, so stop saying it’s all about the games, otherwise you would’ve had an E3 conference to show these games, but you wouldn’t because you wouldn’t embarass yourselves, you’re bringing us about 3 or 4 games in in a 5 year period without any kind of third party support, that’s obviously why you’re gonna be having problems selling consoles. Microsoft have a lineup of 15 exclusive titles at X1 launch window, 8 of which are brand new franchises. that’s more than what Nintendo can do in a 10 year period. So stop pretending like you have the games, your console has very little to play, it’s less powerful and more expensive than a 360 and it has lesser games and poor online capabilities.

#56 8 months ago
  57. polygem

@absolutezero. the guys saying “same shit since 30 years”. those people actually know shit. simple as that. it makes no sense to discuss with them about this at all. they haven´t played the games. it is insane really. i try to explain that all the time. it´s clear, they haven´t played nintendo games in a long time.

just look at the zelda ds games and skyward sword. kirby canvas course and epic yarn. galaxy and paper mario and so on…

they improve on their existing ip´s. reinvent them. they´ve always done that. they don´t make a new game out of every single new idea. they try to implement this fresh idea into their existing franchises and THATS DAMN CLEVER. look how well it worked for them.

if you have mario, zelda donkey kong fatigue a nintendo probably wont be a system for you…but then, you should just move on. it wont change. it is what nintendo do. there will be new ip´s coming but very very few because if they instal a new one they will plan to support and improve it for ages.

it doesn´t make them lazy or “milking” their franchises. the opposite is the case.

#57 8 months ago
  58. Clupula

@55 – I liked Mario Galaxy, but I wouldn’t say they were the best games of the last ten years (which reminds me, I have been wanting to update my top 20 favorite games of all time list ever since I played Arkham City, but I can’t figure out where I want it to go).

I’m not saying that they’re bad games, but the character is part of the presentation. For example, my favorite game of all time is Metal Gear Solid 3. But imagine that was a new ip instead where you were a Klansman and instead of sneaking into Russia, you were trying to sneak into the NAACP to kill people of color. And the Shagohod was actually some evil weapon created to kill white people and all the Codec conversations were about how you were the last great hope of the white race. Same gameplay, totally different presentation. I don’t think that’d be a game I wanted to play, despite the structure being sound, because I wouldn’t be able to play it without wondering what ignorant, racist shithead decided to make a stealth Klansman game.

It’s the same thing, just a little less extreme. Instead of constantly regurgitating the same old characters, which speaks to me of fear of trying something new, why not, you know…try something new?

#58 8 months ago
  59. Clupula

@57 – That’s actually the very definition of milking franchises.

#59 8 months ago
  60. Professor Zoom

”We don’t believe in tech”

Then what about Nintendo 2DS, 3DS and the Gameboy Micro? How was that not tech to boost your sales instead of releasing more games? He’s very annoying, I phucking hate this Reggie guy, he should seriously be fired.

#60 8 months ago
  61. absolutezero

Kojima used to make games outside of Metal Gear :(

I hated the DS Zelda games by the way, I thought they controlled badly and had terrible touch screen integration and the central idea Phantom Hourglass was terrible.

Just to even things out even more I hate HATE the 3D models on a 2D plane thing that Nintendo have been doing recently, its ugly and in a time where tiny Developers like WayForward or the Skullgirls guys can produce high def sprite art, its money grubbing and lazy.

Sticker Star was crap, I can’t believe Nintendo stepped in and stopped the developers from continuing the series sense of humour and new side characters.

#61 8 months ago
  62. absolutezero

You can say fuck you know.

#62 8 months ago
  63. Clupula

@61 – I know. I’m the only person I’ve ever met who owned Snatcher for the Sega CD.

My guitarist tried to set me up with a ROM of Policenauts, but that didn’t go well.

#63 8 months ago
  64. Lengendaryboss

@Polygem
    I was with you right up until you said: “but it´s pure ignorance to stand up and say: “this game is shit. i haven´t played it but it is shit”. huuuge difference.”

That reminded me of something this at comment @9

“this game looks like the most uninspired piece of shit i have ever seen… can´t wait to skip it.”

#64 8 months ago
  65. Djoenz

lol LB touché.

#65 8 months ago
  66. Dragon246

@LB,
    “the difference: i personally only talk about games i have actually played.”
    And yet-

Yup. You nailed the lie :D

Now time for word of the day-
    Hypocrisy –
    Hypocrisy is the state of falsely claiming to possess positive characteristics, such as religiosity or virtues, that one lacks. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

By wikipedia.

#66 8 months ago
  67. antraxsuicide

@LB +1
    This is relating to an early comment from LB. Does Reggie realize that he’s bashing 3rd parties launching for the PS4/X1? This is not going to help Ninty’s image among 3rd parties, and it’s already a poor image at that.

#67 8 months ago
  68. polygem

*looks like an uninspired piece of shit*

looks

looks

looks

is not the same as…

game IS shit

you guys must learn to read.

what i said:

“the difference: i personally only talk about games i have actually played. if i haven´t played one i can say “i don´t like how that looks” “not feeling it” etc etc but it´s pure ignorance to stand up and say: “this game is shit. i haven´t played it but it is shit”. huuuge difference.

see?

that’s what i said.

#68 8 months ago
  69. polygem

one thing i’d like to add. i might have made one or two comments about not liking titanfalls artdesign but then i stopped right there. i can say what i think about a game of course. if it appeals to me or not but it would be plain stupid to go on and on and on forever telling everyone it is a shit game. i don’t know. i haven’t played it. if i have i can give you further impressions about it…maybe i was even wrong and i will love that game. could be happening.

dragon for example is just a guy trashtalking about nintendo games all the time again and again eventhough he never even touched them. he just has no idea what he’s talking about.

#69 8 months ago
  70. polygem

he’s just a kid though. i forgive him.

#70 8 months ago
  71. Lengendaryboss

@Polygem
    Noted, next time i will brush up on reading skills ;)

None of that matters as apparently they have got Zelda, Donkey Kong and Mario in addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and TW101: clearly going after third parties wil be harder than ever after that disrespectful “meh”.

@Dragon
    Well i would never dig the knife that deep.

#71 8 months ago
  72. monkeygourmet

Uncharted 1,2,3, Vita, Cardgame

Halo 1,2,3,4, Wars, IOS, Reach, ODST

To be fair, the other companies are catching up fast on The sequels front. Difference is, these type of games are reaching a gameplay plateau.

Nintendo keeps managing to adapt and score highly over a long period. That’s a huge strength.

How did Mario translate to the 3DS? Great, a highly rated platformer.

How did Nathan Drake transfer to Vita? A card game and an average edition to the franchise…

#72 8 months ago
  73. monkeygourmet

That was respectful! :) what are you doing here?! ;)

#73 8 months ago
  74. polygem

i know you have dat reading skillz lb, was just a word but makes a difference i think.

@dragon, sorry man, i will stop it here.
    it’s just that i know that you don’t own all the systems. that’s totally fine. just pisses me off that you pretend to know how games are that you obviously cannot play because you simply do not own the hardware…

i don’t understand why you are so confident about your opinion anyway, but hey. good for you i guess.

#74 8 months ago
  75. Lengendaryboss

He called their lineup (some of which share Wii U versions) “meh” if he means just first party thats fine although not clear, if he means both then yes he is indirectly insulting third party titles. He said it in a respectful manner.

I’m not sure of any other way to see it.

#75 8 months ago
  76. monkeygourmet

I meant your reply to Poly! :)

#76 8 months ago
  77. Lengendaryboss

Oh it reminded me of what he said of Titanfall, which used the key word he used. I thought it was an interesting comparison but… i was wrong.

#77 8 months ago
  78. Dragon246

@LB,
    I have no need to be overly diplomatic to score internet neutrality points.

#78 8 months ago
  79. flowsz

honestly i dont blame him for saying cocky stuff but we all know,reggie , that your company is struggling , i know youre trying to defend your company and feel threatened that 2 next gen consoles with big titles such as
    Xballs one –
    - titan fall
    - dead rising 3
    - halo 5
    ( And many more i dont give a shit about )
    Ps4 –
    - infamous second son
    - killzone
    - final fantasy 15
    - the order : 1886
    - destiny
    - watch dogs
    - kingdom hearts 3 ( albeit coming for both xballs one and ps4 )

those are just the beginnig stages of ps4 and xballs one and well to many peoples eyes …i’m sorry but … You’ve already been surpassed … cause frankly youre games are complete and utterly boring yes including dicky kong though ill say zelda i respect and mario only cause of galaxy 2 and mario 64 but none of your games on the wii u come close to those games and even if you did you’d still be dogs chasing tails :) . Nintendo fans get angry and say all you like , theres nothing you can say about the fact that your company is struggling already :) …now let your anger douse me with utter laughther

#79 8 months ago