Gentlemen! pirated about 50,000 times on Android

Thursday, 22nd August 2013 23:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Gentlemen! developer Lucky Frame has revealed some fairly tragic figures regarding its multiplayer mobile title, which has been illicitly downloaded tens of thousands of times more often than it has been purchased.

In a blog post on Gamasutra, studio director Yann Seznec said 144 copies have been sold on Android, but the game has been downloaded over 50,000 times.

Calling Gentlemen! the developer’s least profitable title yet, Seznec showed quite a lot of dignity and sympathy, commenting that the high piracy rate just showed that the team had made a game people want to play – especially as 95% of the piracy occurred in Russia and China.

“The main problem is that most of these pirates probably exist in a commercial ecosystem where the Google Play Store does not even exist. It doesn’t occur to them to buy any games from there at all,” he said

Gentlemen! released on mobile platforms in July. It also recently released on Mac and PC.

Seznec’s full blog is quite an interesting read, discussing the hit-and-miss nature of app store releases and how the indie intends to tackle its next release.

Thanks, The Verge.

1. GrimRita

Some people are just so stupid in todays world by ripping off developers and publishers, especially the smaller ones. Some games cost MONEY, get over it. If you cant, take 2 pills and end your fucking life and stop being a freetard.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Fin

This stat made me really sad :(

#2 11 months ago
  3. G-Sama

i still think that as long as people are playing it , there’s a very good chance that a good portion of them would buy the next installment/game from the developer … i mean , they’re right .. in china and russia google play doesn’t exist just as in other places ,so even if people are pirating it .. chances are they’ll begin purchasing it whenever it becomes possible ,some of them at least .. and that’s better than nothing

#3 11 months ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

It is very sad isn’t it. I don’t really even understand my own torrent policy sometimes. I’ve never torrented a game or a CD, but I’ve torrented movies and TV series that I can’t actively get my hands on.

I feel like until the digital marketplace has its shit together, there will be sad cases like this where a hard-working team makes a quality product only to ripped off, which is a crying shame.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Dendroball

It’s notorious that people are pirating like crazy on the android platform, no wonder why developers are always trying to prioritize iOS version of their games over the android one (as if the hassle of porting/optimizing the game on a gazillion different hardware configuration was not enough). I guess this is the price to pay for being an open platform vs. a closed one.

#5 11 months ago